This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB at SPAC 2022

Something to look forward to: SPAC has announced this summer's NYCB season, Tuesday, July 12-Saturday, July 16

Programs are:

Tuesday, July 12, 7:30 pm: NYCB On and Off Stage. This is going to be like last summer's programs, where a NYCB principal dancer will introduce excerpts from the ballets that will be performed. (I enjoyed the programs last year, but I'd really prefer a regular rep performance or to have this in addition, rather than instead of more dancing).

Wednesday, July 13 and Saturday, July 16, 7:30 pm:  20th Century Masters. Chaconne, Summerspace, Glass Pieces

Thursday, July 14, 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm: Evolution. Emanon – In Two Movements (Shorter/Roberts), Gustave le Gray No. 1 (Shaw/Tanowitz), In Creases, The Four Temperaments

Friday, July 15, 7:30 pm and Saturday, July 16, 7:30 pm: A Midsummer Night's Dream

Looks like they are sticking with the earlier starting time. I think the ballets look better a bit later, but I'm also old enough to appreciate getting home a bit earlier.

Also, there is no indication of a gala, which would usually be the Saturday evening performance.

They don't say anything at all about COVID precautions, but the venue is outdoors. 

Thank you for posting this, FPF. I’m so happy there will be a full ‘residency’, such that it is. The time for MSND on Saturday, July 16 is 2pm.

For the evening performances, I welcome the time change to a half hour earlier. I live in Albany and the drive home after the 8pm performances became so tedious so late in the evening. 

I agree with you about the On and Off Stage. I wish they’d given us a full evening of dance and maybe added a third matinee slot for the sampler. I’m looking forward to the Wed evening performance and both matinees. Let’s hope there isn’t another heat wave, remembering the cancellation of Coppelia in 2019. 

I wonder what happened to the Gala? 

Edited by KarenAG
Grammar

I've been looking for it, too,  but haven't seen any.  Maybe they are continuing to have problems with COVID and the casting is too unpredictable to post. In previous seasons, it's always been posted by now.

Also, SPAC tickets are about double the price of the last normal season in 2019--I was  shocked to see how expensive they were. I went with the classical season lawn pass, which includes five $5 upgrades to inside seats, most or all of which will probably get used next week.  If you are going to 3 or 4 performances, there are also discounts available without having to take a chance on available seats.

Discount information is here: https://spac.org/waystosave/

5 hours ago, bellawood said:

Instagram is giving a few hints on who is rehearsing what: Unity and Jovani in second movement Glass Pieces and KJ Takahashi has rehearsal footage of Chris Grant doing Sanguinic — who knows what the actual casting will be! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfzh2W9lMna/

I"m not good with links, but that should be Jovani Furlan's post of himself and Unity Phelan rehearsing Glass Pieces. It's not a Story, so it shouldn't disappear.

Edited by BalanchineFan
1 hour ago, dancefan said:

Casting is available on the SPAC website.

The hints on Instagram can be confirmed!

Thank you, dancefan! You beat me to it; was going to post this update, as well. I am so excited! Going to tomorrow’s performance and both matinees. I’ll report!

Edited by KarenAG
Additional info

Looks like all of the repeat programs are supposed to have the same casts. We do have a few debuts: Bologna and Furlan in Glass Pieces, and MacKinnon in Increases 

Here's the compilation:

PRINCIPAL CASTING- TUESDAY EVENING, JULY 12, 7:30PM

NYCB ON AND OFF STAGE

(Conductors: Litton, Sill, Wasserman)

Featuring Excerpts From

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM (Scherzo): Ulbricht, Maxwell

CHACONNE (Opening Movement): Mearns, T. Angle

SUMMERSPACE: Laracey, Gerrity, Dutton-O’Hara, Adams, Veyette, Alberda

GUSTAVE LE GRAY NO 1: Applebaum, Corti, Hutchinson+, Danchig-Waring [+ Guest Artist, Dance Theatre of Harlem]

EMANON – IN TWO MOVEMENTS: Phelan, Woodward, Kikta, E. Von Enck, Huxley, Furlan, Fahoury

IN CREASES: Gerrity, O. MacKinnon, Adams, Segin, Stanley, Coll, Alberda, Applebaum

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS (Sanguinic): Gerrity, Chan

GLASS PIECES (Third Movement)

PRINCIPAL CASTING- WEDNESDAY EVENING, JULY 13, 7:30PM

(Conductor: Sill)

CHACONNE: Mearns, T. Angle, E. Von Enck, Coll, Dutton-O’Hara, Clark, Sanz, C. Von Enck, Boisson, Nelson, Maxwell, Abreu

GLASS PIECES: Hod, Applebaum, LaFreniere, Riccardo, *Bologna, Alberda, Phelan, *Furlan

PRINCIPAL CASTING- THURSDAY MATINEE, JULY 14, 2:00PM

EMANON – IN TWO MOVEMENTS: Phelan, Woodward, Kikta, E. Von Enck, Huxley, Furlan, Walker, Fahoury

[Conductor: Wasserman]

IN CREASES: Gerrity, *O. MacKinnon, Adams, Segin, Stanley, Coll, Alberda, Applebaum

pause

GUSTAVE LE GRAY NO 1: Applebaum, Corti, Hutchinson+, Danchig-Waring  [+ Guest Artist, Dance Theatre of Harlem]

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS: Boisson, Nelson, Staker, Henson, Maxwell, Sanz, Villarini-Velez, Gerrity, Chan, *Grant,

LeCrone  [Conductor: Litton]

PRINCIPAL CASTING- THURSDAY EVENING, JULY 14, 7:30PM

EMANON – IN TWO MOVEMENTS: Phelan, Woodward, Kikta, E. Von Enck, Huxley, Furlan, Walker, Fahoury

IN CREASES: Gerrity, O. MacKinnon, Adams, Segin, Stanley, Coll, Alberda, Applebaum

pause

GUSTAVE LE GRAY NO 1: Applebaum, Corti, Hutchinson+, Danchig-Waring [+ Guest Artist, Dance Theatre of Harlem]

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS: Boisson, Nelson, Staker, Henson, Maxwell, Sanz, Villarini-Velez, Gerrity, Chan, Grant,

PRINCIPAL CASTING- FRIDAY EVENING, JULY 15, 7:30PM

(Conductor: Litton)

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM: TITANIA: Phelan; OBERON: Ulbricht;

PUCK: Mejia; HIPPOLYTA: Hod; THESEUS: Chamblee; TITANIA’S CAVALIER: Sanz;

HELENA: Kretzschmar; DEMETRIUS: Villarini-Velez; HERMIA: Pereira; LYSANDER: Nelson;

BUTTERFLY: Maxwell; BOTTOM: Bolden; DIVERTISSEMENT: Hyltin, Veyette

PRINCIPAL CASTING- SATURDAY MATINEE, JULY 16, 2:00PM

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM: TITANIA: Phelan; OBERON: Ulbricht;

HELENA: Kretzschmar; DEMETRIUS: Villarini-Velez; HERMIA: Pereira; LYSANDER: Nelson;

PRINCIPAL CASTING- SATURDAY EVENING, JULY 16, 7:30PM

(Conductor: Sill)

CHACONNE: Mearns, T. Angle, E. Von Enck, Coll, Dutton-O’Hara, Clark, Sanz, C. Von Enck, Boisson, Nelson, Maxwell, Abreu

GLASS PIECES: Hod, Applebaum, LaFreniere, Riccardo, Bologna, Alberda, Phelan, Furlan

Programming update: This Bitter Earth is replacing Gustav Le Gray in both performances:  

Source: https://www.wamc.org/arts-culture/2022-07-13/nycb-returns-to-spac-with-a-summer-sampler

“NYCB On and Off Stage,” offered a taste of every ballet on this week’s schedule, except for Pam Tanowitz’s new work, Gustave le Gray No. 1, cancelled because of illness. It will be replaced at Thursday’s two performances by Christopher Wheeldon’s This Bitter Earth

Updated program and casting information from the SPAC website:

PRINCIPAL CASTING- THURSDAY MATINEE, JULY 14, 2:00PM

IN CREASES: Gerrity, *O. MacKinnon, Adams, Jones, Stanley, Coll, Alberda, Applebaum

pause

THIS BITTER EARTH (Replaces GUSTAVE LE GRAY NO 1): Mearns, *Veyette

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS: Boisson, Nelson, Staker, Henson, Maxwell, Sanz, Villarini-Velez, Gerrity, Chan, *Grant,

* First Time in Role

PRINCIPAL CASTING- THURSDAY EVENING, JULY 14, 7:30PM

IN CREASES: Gerrity, O. MacKinnon, Adams, Jones, Stanley, Coll, Alberda, Applebaum

pause

THIS BITTER EARTH (Replaces GUSTAVE LE GRAY NO 1): Mearns, Veyette

THE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS: Boisson, Nelson, Staker, Henson, Maxwell, Sanz, Villarini-Velez, Gerrity, Chan, Grant,

It looks like there are also updates for other programs--I noticed that Midsummer now has Anthony Huxley as Oberon

PRINCIPAL CASTING- FRIDAY EVENING, JULY 15, 7:30PM

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM: TITANIA: Phelan; OBERON: Huxley;

HELENA: LaFreniere; DEMETRIUS: Villarini-Velez; HERMIA: Pereira; LYSANDER: Nelson;

* First Time in Role

PRINCIPAL CASTING- SATURDAY MATINEE, JULY 16, 2:00PM

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM: TITANIA: Phelan; OBERON: Huxley;

HELENA: LaFreniere; DEMETRIUS: Villarini-Velez; HERMIA: Pereira; LYSANDER: Nelson;

Edited by FPF
More information

Before getting into tonight's performance, I wanted to mention another SPAC program that may be of interest to NYCB fans:  The July 27th Philadelphia Orchestra Festive Fireworks performance will feature a performance by BalletX with new choreography by Tiler Peck. Information here: https://spac.org/event/the-philadelphia-orchestra-22/ Note that this performance can also be included in a discount package if you are still thinking of seeing NYCB at SPAC.

On to tonight's performance. I forgot that curtain time has been changed to 7:30 from 8:00 and arrived with only minutes to spare, but succeeded in getting a very good seat in the center of the center balcony and made it there in time. If you are COVID-cautious be aware that there are no restrictions and not many others will be masking. 

The evening started with Elizabeth Sobel (SPAC president) and Jon Stafford coming out and some remarks (mostly from Sobel, as I recall) about various improvements, including a new floor for the dancers, and what a pleasure it is to work with him. They also have a new sound system, and to my ears, although the music was live, it sounded miked up in the balcony and was occasionally too loud and shrill.

The first ballet was Chaconne. I've seen it numerous times before, and it never seems to make a strong impression. I didn't remember the opening section with the diaphanous costumes at all. Sara Mearns and Tyler Angle were the leads--I particularly appreciated the way Sara seems to devour the space, extending her line, always going for more. I also particularly enjoyed the other soloists, especially Emma von Neck and Harrison Coll, but really, all were great.

Next up was Summerspace. I've long been intrigued by the backdrop and costumes, and now I can say that I've seen it. I didn't enjoy the music, at least as it went on and on, and although I enjoyed it initially, after a while I felt very ready for it to be over. For me, the standouts here were Adrian Danchig-Waring and Ashley Laracey.

Last was Glass Pieces, which in the past, I have not really enjoyed (in fact, the only time I've left the ballet early was once when it was last on the program), primarily because of the minimalist music. That being said, I did enjoy it tonight, the corps work especially--they had great energy. Another substation here, Aaron Sanz for Daniel Applebaum in Rubric. I was also interested to see the first new Facades couple that I've seen for a while, Unity Phelan and Jovani Furlan. I started seeing NYCB regularly in 1988, and I can only recall seeing 3 other dancers in the ballerina role: Maria Calegari, Wendy Whelan, and Maria Kowroski. Phelan and Furlan were good, butI often find myself focusing here on the silhouetted line of dancers toward the back of the stage.

For me, the highlight of the evening was just being back and seeing a normal ballet program for the first time since February 2020 and the for first time at SPAC since July 2019. Although I enjoyed last years' programs, full ballets, even if they're not my favorites, are so much better than excerpts.

I went back to SPAC today for the "Evolution" program matinee, which I enjoyed quite a lot. There was a downpour about an hour before the performance, but then the temperature cooled off and the sun came out and it ended up being a lovely day for ballet. I got an excellent seat, first row of Section 8 downstairs.

First up was Emanon. It was a great showcase for the dancers. I liked the music, costumes, and enjoyed the choreography. Anthony Huxley one of my favorites, and this may have been the first time I've seen him smile. Peter Walker has always stood out for his height, but I really enjoyed his dancing here, more than when he was a soloist, especially with Emily Kikta. But everyone else was great here, too: Emma Von Enck, Unity Phelan, Indiana Woodward, Jonathan Fahoury, and Jovani Furland.

After the first intermission was In Creases, Justin Peck's first ballet for NYCB, which had its world premiere at SPAC exactly 10 years ago today (I was there!). Todays performance had a lot of substitutions--usually they just announce them at the start of the performance, but we had inserts today for the first time in forever. In addition to the cast changes that were posted yesterday, Preston Chamblee replaced Daniel Applebaum. Preston seems to have dyed his hair--it's probably blond, but looked sort of a pale greenish-gray from where I was sitting.  I couldn't keep track of who was who, but Taylor Stanley was great here, and I enjoyed it.

Next was This Bitter Earth. I saw it once, I think in 2014, for Wendy Whelan's SPAC farewell. At the time, it honestly kind of bored me, but today's performance with Sara Mearns and Andy Vedette was lovely and received a standing ovation from a good part of the crowd. When I've seen ballets created on Wendy, I can usually see her in them, but Sara put her own imprint on it.

After the second intermission, the last ballet was The Four Temperaments, one of my favorite Balanchine ballets. It also got a great reception and partial standing ovation from the crowd. I was particularly happy to finally get to see Chun Wai Chan in Sanguinic, after reading the positive reports about him on this site  and elsewhere. 

All in all, a very enjoyable afternoon. f I didn't have a ton of work to do tonight, I might have made it a double-header and seen this program again. The sound also seemed better downstairs than in the balcony last night--I spoke to one of the ushers who told me they've had a lot of complaints about the sound system. 

On to Midsummer!

I attended my third and final NYCB performance of the summer this afternoon: A Midsummer Night's Dream. I had initially planned to go last night, too, but I got a nosebleed right when I was about to leave that kept stopping and starting again, and when it finally stopped for good, it was too late  to get to SPAC on time. But although it's ideal to see this ballet on a midsummer night, it is still great on a midsummer day, even a hot and sticky one.

Although I've been attending NYCB and have seen Midsummer many times, this was the first time I've seen it from a lower theater level--at the NYS Theater, I used to sit in the third ring and I usually sit in the balcony at SPAC. But, to change things up, I sat in Section 8 again, which is the rear orchestra section but it has a steep rake so that its very easy to see over the heads in front of you (I'm on the petite side). In front of me was a family who seemed to think that it was appropriate to bring a 14-month-old to the ballet. One parent took him out halfway through Act 1, and switched with the other parent for Act 2. The theater seemed pretty full, which was an improvement over the Thursday matinee, which had lots of empty seats (and seemed even emptier without the cheering of the students from the defunct Summer School for the Arts)

Anyway, I really enjoyed this performance--to my mind, it was the highlight of the all-to-short season. There was yet another casting substitution, with Isabella LaFreniere as Hippolyta. I haven't had the opportunity to see much of her before, but she really impressed in this role. The program showed that the originally cast Titania and Oberon were Miriam Miller and Daniel Ulbricht. While I would have loved to see Miller in that role after she made a great impression on me last summer in Diamonds excerpts, it's hard to be disappointed when you get to see Anthony Huxley with Unity Phelan. Both were wonderful. Huxley is one of my favorites, and while he has been outstanding technically, I felt that he is becoming more comfortable with expression emotions and character through his dancing.

There was a minor goof today--when Puck first put the donkey head on Bottom, it still had the wreath around then ear, presumably forgotten after the previous evening's performance. But when Puck dragged poor Bottom offstage, he came back with naked ears until Titania put the wreath around his ear again.

I'd also heard a lot about Roman Mejia, but seen very little--his Puck showed what all of the fuss was about. And I've seen the comments here about Isabella LaFreniere, who was a fantastic Hippolyta today.

This was likely the last time I'll have seen Sterling Hilton, who danced the Divertissement with Andy Veyette. I can't believe she's retiring--it was an absolutely beautiful performance, maybe the best I've seen of that pas de deux.

13 hours ago, FPF said:

I

Anyway, I really enjoyed this performance--to my mind, it was the highlight of the all-to-short season. There was yet another casting substitution, with Isabella LaFreniere as Hippolyta. I haven't had the opportunity to see much of her before, but she really impressed in this role. The program showed that the originally cast Titania and Oberon were Miriam Miller and Daniel Ulbricht. While I would have loved to see Miller in that role after she made a great impression on me last summer in Diamonds excerpts, it's hard to be disappointed when you get to see Anthony Huxley with Unity Phelan. Both were wonderful. Huxley is one of my favorites, and while he has been outstanding technically, I felt that he is becoming more comfortable with expression emotions and character through his dancing.

Miller was just announced on Thursday or Friday of this week to appear at the Fire Island Dance Festival (July 15-17).