This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

San Francisco Ballet roster for 2022

From the email to subscribers: 

Company Roster for 2022 Season

San Francisco Ballet announces two promotions and the appointment of four apprentices for the 2022 Season. New positions are effective July 1, 2021.

SF Ballet corps de ballet member Jasmine Jimison is promoted to soloist and apprentice Olivia Brothers is promoted to the corps de ballet. Both dancers received training at SF Ballet School.

"Jasmine is an immensely talented and dedicated young dancer who excels in her roles on stage, and this year, on the screen in Myles Thatcher's COLORFORMS," says SF Ballet Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson. "Olivia is a fresh talent who proved this year she is ready to join the corps de ballet. What I am most grateful for in this difficult year is that we've kept our entire company of dancers working, and that I was able to offer four apprentice positions to students from San Francisco Ballet School's Trainee Program. The pandemic has been so difficult for dancers everywhere, but especially those dancers just beginning their careers after years of hard work. I am proud of these dancers and look forward to working with them in the 2022 Season."

Jasmine Jimison, called a "breakout talent" (San Francisco Chronicle) for her role in Myles Thatcher's COLORFORMS in the 2021 Digital Season, is a native of Palo Alto. Jimison joined SF Ballet School in 2014, advanced to Trainee in 2017, and performed the principal pas de deux in Balanchine's Stars and Stripes during the School's 2018 Student Showcase. She joined SF Ballet as an apprentice in 2018 and became a member of the corps de ballet in 2019.  Pointe magazine named Jimison one of 2019's Stars of the Corps. See Jasmine Jimison's bio here.

Olivia Brothers is promoted to corps de ballet after joining the Company as an apprentice for the 2021 Season. A native of Palos Verdes Estates, California, Brothers won first place at Youth America Grand Prix San Francisco in 2017 as a member of the Marat Daukayev School, after which she joined SF Ballet School as a Level 7 student, moving to Level 8 in 2018, and joining the Trainee Program in 2019. See Olivia Brothers' bio here.

NEW APPRENTICES
Four SF Ballet School Trainees have been named apprentices for the 2022 Season: Teague Applegate, Juliana Bellissmo, Nicole Moyer, and Jamie Adele Stephens. As apprentices, dancers will take Company class and perform corps de ballet roles in SF Ballet productions.

Read the full press release here.

Let's congratulate these wonderful dancers who do so much to deliver art today and every day.

SAN FRANCISCO BALLET 2022 REPERTORY SEASON
ARTISTS OF THE COMPANY 

ARTISTIC DIRECTOR & PRINCIPAL CHOREOGRAPHER
Helgi Tomasson

PRINCIPAL DANCERS

Dores André
Ulrik Birkkjaer
Max Cauthorn
Frances Chung
Sasha De Sola
Nikisha Fogo
Benjamin Freemantle
Mathilde Froustey 
Angelo Greco
Tiit Helimets
Esteban Hernandez
Luke Ingham
Julian MacKay
Misa Kuranaga
Wona Park 
Aaron Robison
Jennifer Stahl 
Yuan Yuan Tan
Sarah Van Patten
Joseph Walsh
Wei Wang
WanTing Zhao

PRINCIPAL CHARACTER DANCERS
Ricardo Bustamante

Val Caniparoli

Anita Paciotti

SOLOISTS
Cavan Conley
Diego Cruz
Daniel Deivison-Oliveira
Isabella DeVivo
Lucas Erni
Ellen Rose Hummel
Jasmine Jimison
Madison Keesler
Steven Morse
Sasha Mukhamedov 
Elizabeth Powell 
Julia Rowe
Henry Sidford
Myles Thatcher
Lonnie Weeks
Hansuke Yamamoto 

CORPS DE BALLET
Kamryn Baldwin
Sean Bennett
Ludmila Bizalion
Samantha Bristow
Olivia Brothers
Thamires Chuvas
Rubén Cítores
Estéban Cuadrado
Megan Amanda Ehrlich
Luca Ferrò
Max Föllmer
Gabriela Gonzalez
Lleyton Ho
Anatalia Hordov
Blake Johnston
SunMin Lee
Elizabeth Mateer
Norika Matsuyama
Carmela Mayo
Swane Messaoudi
Davide Occhipinti 
Lauren Parrott
Joshua Jack Price
Leili Rackow
Nathaniel Remez 
Alexander Reneff-Olson
Jacob Seltzer
Natasha Sheehan
John-Paul Simoens
Tyla Steinbach
Bianca Teixeira
Mingxuan Wang
Joseph Warton
Maggie Weirich 
Adrian Zeisel

APPRENTICES
Alexis Aiudi
Teague Applegate
Juliana Bellissimo
Andris Kundzins
Nicole Moyer
Pemberley Ann Olson
Jamie Adele Stephens
Alexis Valdes

BALLET MASTERS & ASSISTANTS TO THE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Ricardo Bustamante
Felipe Diaz

BALLET MASTERS
Tina LeBlanc
Anita Paciotti
Katita Waldo

COMPANY TEACHERS

Helgi Tomasson
Patrick Armand
Ricardo Bustamante
Felipe Diaz
Tina LeBlanc

CHOREOGRAPHER IN RESIDENCE
Yuri Possokhov

MUSIC DIRECTOR AND PRINCIPAL CONDUCTOR
Martin West
####

23 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Looks like Kim Olivier is not on the roster.

Yeah I noticed that too. I don't have any information on what has changed. Nothing on Instagram. I know that she has been modeling of late (as a number of the dancers do).

Eight apprentices - isn't that an increase over the usual number?

EDIT: On Facebook/Instagram, Kim posted the following:

"Palm Heights x Ballet Resident🩰
...Honored to be your first ballerina Artist in Residence and am grateful for opportunity to spend my post-surgery recovery process here."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMkAdUPAGMs/

So she's doing a residency in the Grand Cayman Islands, and she's recovering from surgery. As is Sasha Mukhamedov.

Edited by pherank

Also, Gregory Myles is an apprentice this year but not listed on next year's roster.

Looks like most of this year's apprentices will return for a second year, which is nice considering they didn't get to perform in person this year. 

Edited by PeggyTulle
Auto correct
1 minute ago, PeggyTulle said:

Also, Gregory Myles is an appre this year but not listed on next year's roster.

Looks like most of this year's apprentices will return for a second year, which is nice considering they didn't get to perform in person this year.

Good point - they haven't really been given a fair trial/training during the quarantine. Well I hope Olivier is able to return later - she has been dancing well. I liked her in Sandpaper.

Wow, no more Frantziskonis?  I'm really surprised, she seemed to be doing so well at SFB lately.  Any idea of where she's going?

Jimison got promoted really quickly, but she was fantastic in Colorforms (as was the whole cast, really!  Everything about that piece was executed perfectly, imo!). 

In some ways, I'm a bit relieved - less attrition than I was fearing, I was worried Covid would cause a lot of dancers to rethink their careers and living situations.

18 minutes ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Wow, no more Frantziskonis?  I'm really surprised, she seemed to be doing so well at SFB lately.  Any idea of where she's going?

Jimison got promoted really quickly, but she was fantastic in Colorforms (as was the whole cast, really!  Everything about that piece was executed perfectly, imo!). 

In some ways, I'm a bit relieved - less attrition than I was fearing, I was worried Covid would cause a lot of dancers to rethink their careers and living situations.

I just don't know about Jahna - perhaps the same situation as Olivier. She's had some long term injury that isn't the type of thing to ever completely heal (as I recall). She has been teaching master classes.

I agree that Jimison looked great in ColorForms, and it's interesting that Tomasson decided that she was ready to move up (based mainly on that?).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMvEIIRB9uR/

12 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

They both left before this season. Ami is in Japan. Emma left before that,  I think. Possibly two seasons ago?

I wondered about that - this year long hiatus has me confused. Do we have a list of roster changes for 2020?

SFB's recent IG posting definitely seems to express that they remain on good terms with Kim Olivier:

"Join us for a toast to ballets Swimmer, Wooden Dimes, and Symphony #9, as Program 03 closing night is Wednesday March 24! Our very own Kimberly Marie Olivier (@mulattaballerina) recreated an iconic moment of her "Bathing Beauties" role in Yuri Possokhov's Swimmer during her artist in residency @palmheightsgc | @palmheightsathletics. Visit the link in bio for drink recipes 🍸 including the signature Swimmer cocktail, originally served at the San Francisco restaurant Jardinière on opening night in 2015, recreated here in tribute by @mulattaballerina and @tillies, and fondly recalled by composer Shinji Eshima of @sfballetorch."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMx49DUrJ2O/

Jasmine Jimison danced several solos in The Sleeping Beauty two seasons ago when she was an apprentice, including Princess Florine in the Bluebird pdd, and was outstanding, and was promoted into the company shortly after that.   She was so beautiful and authoritative in those solos that I would not have blinked had she been promoted to soloist upon joining the company ranks.    She was  later cast in one of the principal/solo roles in Liam Scarlett's Hummingbird, which was ultimately withdrawn from the repertoire.  I am glad that Helgi moved her up so she can benefit from his casting during his last season as director.  

From SFB:

Saluting This Season's Departing Dancers

As our 2021 Digital Season draws to a close, we’re taking a moment to recognize the dancers who are departing SF Ballet this year. Please join us in celebrating Kimberly Marie Olivier, Jahna Frantziskonis, and Gregory Myles as they take a virtual final bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNM_10bI6io

Gregory Myles was an apprentice to the company.

Edited by pherank

Wow, my head is spinning over the changes (that's what happens when you live in a cave for 18 months!). I also just found out today that Kelly Tweeddale has resigned as executive director. I'd always wondered if she were living a nightmare, negotiating all the upheaval -- not just COVID but the call for racial equality in the ranks -- in her first two years on the job. And I'll bet Glen McCoy is pretty happy he retired in 2019. Is there a thread on Kelly Tweeddale's resignation I should be aware of?

I saw a 2021-22 roster that only had four apprentices; I don't know whether that version, or this one, is more updated. Anyone else know?

Edited by Terez
1 hour ago, Terez said:

Wow, my head is spinning over the changes (that's what happens when you live in a cave for 18 months!). I also just found out today that Kelly Tweeddale has resigned as executive director. I'd always wondered if she were living a nightmare, negotiating all the upheaval -- not just COVID but the call for racial equality in the ranks -- in her first two years on the job. And I'll bet Glen McCoy is pretty happy he retired in 2019. Is there a thread on Kelly Tweeddale's resignation I should be aware of?

I saw a 2021-22 roster that only had four apprentices; I don't know whether that version, or this one, is more updated. Anyone else know?

Welcome back, Terez. If it's any consolation, I think ABT is in pretty much the same situation - looking for an A.D. and Executive Director. But there's a lot of that going on.

Due to the pandemic quarantines, a lot of apprentices have been retained for another year, because they were never really able to train with the companies as they normally would. That's happening with pretty much all the big companies. So I think the 4 new SFB apprentices are joining the ones that are staying on. But I haven't seen a final listing of names. One of the 2020 trainees decided to move on anyway.