This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Departures 2019

9 minutes ago, pherank said:

SFB dancers wearing their oxygen masks - the glamorous world of the ballet in Sun Valley Idaho.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzjcKpsBrM7/

Sun Valley's altitude is 5945 ft.

Denver is 5280 ft.

Vail is 8022 ft.

Altitude is a real thing. If you're visiting any of these places, drink a lot of water and take it easy when you arrive. I get a splitting headache when I return to altitude, but aspirin for a couple of days makes all the difference until I readjust.  Instagrams from dancers acclimating to Vail can be pretty eye-opening about the impact of altitude.

13 minutes ago, California said:

Sun Valley's altitude is 5945 ft.

Denver is 5280 ft.

Vail is 8022 ft.

Altitude is a real thing. If you're visiting any of these places, drink a lot of water and take it easy when you arrive. I get a splitting headache when I return to altitude, but aspirin for a couple of days makes all the difference until I readjust.  Instagrams from dancers acclimating to Vail can be pretty eye-opening about the impact of altitude.

I lived in the Lake Tahoe area for a while (long ago), and I can't say that I ever truly 'acclimatized' to the altitude. Trying to jog at altitude was never as easy as jogging at sea level, for me.

Sara Mearns famously got altitude sickness at Vail and I'm not sure if she's ever gone back to the mountains to perform (anyone know?)

EDIT: I forget to mention that I didn't actual mean to post the Sun Valley link in this thread, but, too late now...   ;)

Edited by pherank

Mathilde Froustey and Sasha De Sola both posted to their public IG stories that Vitor Luiz had his last show with SFB today (not sure if it's retirement or leaving for other opportunities). I can't seem to post screenshots, but here's the text from them. 

From Mathilde: 

I can't believe it was his last show... We'll miss you so much @ivitorluiz. 

From Sasha: 

Congratulations @ivitorluiz on your wonderful career with sfballet and thank you for being such an amazing partner! Always so fun to dance with you!

Editing to add this recent IG post from Southland Ballet Academy (in Irvine, CA): 

Edited by PeggyTulle
Additional info
1 hour ago, PeggyTulle said:

Mathilde Froustey and Sasha De Sola both posted to their public IG stories that Vitor Luiz had his last show with SFB today (not sure if it's retirement or leaving for other opportunities). I can't seem to post screenshots, but here's the text from them. 

From Mathilde: 

I can't believe it was his last show... We'll miss you so much @ivitorluiz. 

From Sasha: 

Congratulations @ivitorluiz on your wonderful career with sfballet and thank you for being such an amazing partner! Always so fun to dance with you!

A big loss: Luiz is a truly great partner. Best of luck to him.

I'm glad that he is going to be involved in teaching - seems like the perfect person to be training the young ones.

4 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Did Ana Sophia Scheller ever address why she left SFB? Was she injured? 

She is such a gorgeous dancer—I hope she continues in another company!

Her Instagram page still reads, "New news soon!", but she updates the page frequently so I'm sure she'll make an announcement as soon as her plans are finalized.
She has been in recovery from an injury suffered early last season. She seems to be in good spirits though, so I don't get any feeling that she won't reappear on the dance stage.

Edited by pherank

I just came across the news here about Vitor Luiz's marriage last evening, though I had previously seen on his FB page that he had recently married with a lovely photo of them.  On August 16, 2019, I saw Vitor and his wife, Tara Luiz Ghassemieh, dance Scheherazade  pas de deux, stated in the program as choreographed by the two of them, at the 12th Annual Gala of The Stars put on by Festival Ballet Theatre at Segerstrom Concert Hall.  I could see them in the wings afterwards and they looked overjoyed. 

Vitor also danced with more-beautiful-than-ever Yuan Yuan Tan in a pas de deux from the Rachmananov-Tomasson On A Theme of Paganini (breathtaking) and in a pas de deux from the Davis-Liang Infinite Ocean

1 hour ago, pherank said:

FYI:

Ana Sophia Scheller is dancing again - she recently participated in the Gala Internacional de Ballet de Buenos Aires 2019, and, she will be dancing Odette/Odile again with the National Ballet of Ukraine, Sept. 20th 2019.

From what I read in a local newspaper here in Buenos Aires, she's joining the National Ballet of Ukraine. One of her goals is to dance the "big classics of the repertoire". I guess she plans to do so there.

12 minutes ago, eduardo said:

From what I read in a local newspaper here in Buenos Aires, she's joining the National Ballet of Ukraine. One of her goals is to dance the "big classics of the repertoire". I guess she plans to do so there.

Thanks for that information, Eduardo. She's definitely been focusing on traditional ballet roles, and doesn't seem particularly interested in creating new roles or dancing contemporary works. At least not at present. I think she's reached the 'dancer contemplating the end of her career' stage. Scheller seemingly wants to dance famous roles while she still has a chance to do so.

2 hours ago, pherank said:

Thanks for that information, Eduardo. She's definitely been focusing on traditional ballet roles, and doesn't seem particularly interested in creating new roles or dancing contemporary works. At least not at present. I think she's reached the 'dancer contemplating the end of her career' stage. Scheller seemingly wants to dance famous roles while she still has a chance to do so.

My pleasure. I think you're spot on, since she says something like "A couple of years ago I said to myself: I'm thirty; if I don't dance the repertoire ballets now, it will never happen" (free translation by myself).

Here's the link to the short interview. Of course, Spanish only: https://www.clarin.com/espectaculos/teatro/ana-sophia-scheller-retrato-bailarina-itinerante_0_WHDP8J4Zp.html