This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A fiend from another part of the internet posted a link to this extensive obituary in "Variety":

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/peter-tork-the-monkees-dies-dead-1203144914/

In 2015, Tork discussed his illness with UK Music Reviews, prior to a London Monkees show. “It is pretty common knowledge that I had a surprise gift from a cancerous growth a number of years ago,” he said. “They carved it out of me and I have recovered solely from all of that. However it still requires attention on a regular basis; it doesn’t interfere terribly but that’s life. What I am trying to say is that I am as well as could be hoped for; life goes on like this. In fact I have to say that I am an extraordinarily well favored human on the face of the earth, and I am very grateful for that.”

RIP Peter.

There happens to be a Carole King Bio on PBS right now, and the daughter of King was telling the story of how cool her mom seemed when one of her songs was recorded by The Monkees (who were the greatest thing going at the time for a 6 year old girl). And she got to meet Davy Jones because of this - she mentioned that Davy was just the right height for a 6 year old.  ;)

Mike Nesmith, RIP. He wrote some good songs.

Moving to Los Angeles, he heard about auditions for a new television series featuring a pop group and was cast as the guitarist. Unlike the other three Monkees, he already had a wide musical range as an instrumentalist, singer, songwriter and performer.

As a group, The Monkees were forbidden to play their own instruments on their early records, although the producers eventually relented. After the break-up, Nesmith became a country-rock artist and formed the First National Band, with whom he had a US Top 40 hit, ‘Joanne’ (1970).

One of the most intriguing aspects of Michael Nesmith's  life,  besides being the only Monkee with considerable experience as a musician,  is that his mother became a multimillionaire after inventing Liquid Paper.  He inherited half of her $48,000,000 estate,  and felt no need to continue on with the Monkees on their tours after the show ended.  He also made a considerable fortune on his own from various ventures.

I also had a crush on Peter Tork. I wrote an admiring letter to him. His mom answered me! I still have the letter. She said, "Thank you for your letter to my son, Peter. He is very busy right now, so I am writing for him. I'm glad you like him so much. I do too. He is a very kind and talented young man and I am very proud of him."