This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marie-Agnes Gillot and Karl Paquette Last Bows and Josua Hoffalt

1 hour ago, silvermash said:

Well, you first said she stayed in the wings which is not true and then now you said, ok, she came but she didn't stay center stage. Why would she have done it? She's just the AD, she's not anymore a dancer of the company. Only dancers are on stage the day of the défilé. No one stayed by Josua but the other Etoiles.

Absolutely not true, at most farewells some retired Étoiles plus other guests stay on stage. 

2 hours ago, Colette said:

Absolutely not true, at most farewells some retired Étoiles plus other guests stay on stage. 

You must understand that it was not a farewell, it was just the Défilé and Josua Hoffalt was kindly awarded the right to have this last walk on stage. When you leave the ballet the way he did, you are not entitled to have a farewell and that's why he didn't participate to the Défilé the day before. And that's why it was kept silent to the public and that just the current Etoiles were surrounding him.

And to be fair to Dupont, perhaps she stayed away because she respected his space and knew that her presence wasn't welcome? I was at a farewell where the AD came out and gave the ballerina flowers and it was clear from the frosty body language that his flowers and presence was neither welcomed nor appreciated. It was very awkward.

28 minutes ago, canbelto said:

And to be fair to Dupont, perhaps she stayed away because she respected his space and knew that her presence wasn't welcome? I was at a farewell where the AD came out and gave the ballerina flowers and it was clear from the frosty body language that his flowers and presence was neither welcomed nor appreciated. It was very awkward.

There are expected rituals with leaving, and if that AD had not come out and presented flowers, it would have violated the rule of the ritual.  If you agree to a farewell, you agree to at least the barebones ritual. 

Especially in a formal organization like Paris Opera Ballet, there are rules and distinctions -- it doesn't get more formal than a defile -- and that is what silvermash has been describing.  Whether Dupont's presence was welcome would only have been an appropriate input where it was an optional action.

Allister Madin discusses his plans with Le Figaro:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2018/12/06/03004-20181206ARTFIG00001-de-paris-a-wellington-le-grand-saut-du-danseur-allister-madin.php

He mentions Alexander Ekman's Play:

"À ce moment-là, je dansais Play d'Ekmanque, je vivais mal l'impression d'être au service d'une mise en scène, expérience dont il ne me resterait rien."

Which Google translates -- nonsensically -- as:

"At that moment, I danced Play of Ekmanque, I did not live the impression of being in the service of a staging, experience of which I would not have anything left."

Can any of our French correspondents provide a better sense of his meaning?

It will be extremely difficult to image the company without Paquette :crying: devoted to his company like no other, tremendous actor and what partnering skills!:jawdrop:

15 hours ago, canbelto said:

Does anyone know when Ganio will reach retirement age?

Mathieu Ganio is only 34 years old, thankfully, so he has 8 years ahead of him before mandatory retirement.

4 hours ago, Colette said:

It will be extremely difficult to image the company without Paquette devoted to his company like no other, tremendous actor and what partnering skills!

Mathieu Ganio is only 34 years old, thankfully, so he has 8 years ahead of him before mandatory retirement.

I think it was recently-named etoile, Valentine Colasante, who referred to Paquette as the gold standard of partners.

I always think Ganio should be nearing retirement age and then I realize that he's not that old. Madame Lefevre nominated him as etoile when he was 20!

Edited by miliosr
3 hours ago, Colette said:

It will be extremely difficult to image the company without Paquette :crying: devoted to his company like no other, tremendous actor and what partnering skills!:jawdrop:

I don't get to see the Paris Opera Ballet very often, but I road-tripped up to Montreal a few years ago  when they were doing Pierre Lacotte's Paquita there. Karl Paquette was Lucien in that performance, which I very much enjoyed.  In an interview at Danses avec la Plume (https://www.dansesaveclaplume.com/pas-de-deux/1044946-karl-paquette-jai-25-ans-dopera-de-paris-et-25-ans-de-bonheur/), he said that he was/would be teaching--hopefully he will be passing on his knowledge of partnering, etc.  It was also interesting to me that even though he seemed to have a fairly slow rise through the ranks, he was very much in favor of the Concours. 

8 hours ago, FPF said:

I don't get to see the Paris Opera Ballet very often, but I road-tripped up to Montreal a few years ago  when they were doing Pierre Lacotte's Paquita there. Karl Paquette was Lucien in that performance, which I very much enjoyed.  In an interview at Danses avec la Plume (https://www.dansesaveclaplume.com/pas-de-deux/1044946-karl-paquette-jai-25-ans-dopera-de-paris-et-25-ans-de-bonheur/), he said that he was/would be teaching--hopefully he will be passing on his knowledge of partnering, etc.  It was also interesting to me that even though he seemed to have a fairly slow rise through the ranks, he was very much in favor of the Concours.  

He was not slow in his rise regarding the Concours. He was Premier danseur at 25 I think, which is fair enough. So in a way, he had no problem rising through the Concours. But he was only named Etoile at 33. To become Etoile is the sole decision of the Paris Opera Director. So it took more time to rise to Etoile than to rise to Premier Danseur

Josua Hoffalt posted this on his Instagram feed two days ago (translated from the original French):

"Hello to all,
I have had the chance to dance great classical repertoire roles and to work with great contemporary choreographers. Today I feel like passing on what I have been taught. I now propose private lessons in Paris and in the Parisian region for all levels, as well as the possibility of preparing for contests and auditions. For more information, please contact me via email.
See you soon"