This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

It was very sad to hear. I first came across Rickman when I saw Les Liaisons Dangereuses on Broadway (I was a huge anglophile in those days and would go and see anything by a British playwright: Stoppard, Hare, Frayn etc... I guess I still am.) Yeah, Lindsay Duncan and Beatie Edney were excellent (especially Duncan) but we all came out of the theater raving about the sexy dangerous Alan Rickman. The voice; the archness... After that I saw him where I could. Another favorite is a little film called Close My Eyes, a movie that introduced me to a young Clive Owen. Galaxy Quest was such a sweet movie and absolutely lifted to another level by Rickman's performance. I loved his villains in Die Hard and Robin Hood. And Sense and Sensibility featured his gently romantic performance as Colonial Brandon. I wasn't a big Love, Actually fan. There was something about the age differences in some the couples, the infidelity just rubbed me the wrong way at the time I saw it. But the acting was fine. I am eager to see him in the Harry Potter films (I belated started reading the books just recently - I'm in book 4). He appeared to be a good man, as well, one who was with his partner/wife for over 50 years. Such a loss.

Another tough loss. RIP.

It apparently came as a shock to Rickman and his friends and family, as well; the cancer apparently came on over Christmas and the illness was short - seemingly similar to that of Roger Rees (another campy Sheriff of Nottingham).

Rickman's Gruber in Die Hard is arguably the best action movie villain ever, and he inhabits a top-drawer film. He was also a splendid Rasputin for HBO.

Another one of Rickman's early pictures, Truly, Madly, Deeply, was better in concept than execution, but I have a soft spot for it and the role was of a kind that Rickman didn't often get to play.

I loved Rickman in "Truly, Madly, Deeply." The Rickman-Thompson segment in "Love Actually" was the best, in my opinion: they got the tone just right.

He has long been one of my favorites, and this is sad news indeed.

The tributes to him and Bowie have been similar in one, great way: colleagues, especially younger colleagues, have spoken about Rickman's and Bowie's generosity towards them.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Mr. Rickman.