This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yes, very cool, because they're the real singers, but dressed just like everybody else--I had to recheck to make sure that really was the Opera Co. of Philadelphia. Sounded great too. First time I've ever liked a flash mob, the ones I've known about just did dumb things, little better than the radical ironing people.

Love it! There is something so stirring about many voices singing such rousing melodies. :thanks:

thanks for posting.

(one question, though: does anyone know if there was someone leading them, or how did they all stay together so well in all the noise of the market?)

-d-

It's sort of derived from "flasher". The group arrives in any number of different ways at the site for their activity, and suddenly begins doing whatever it is they've resolved to do. Then, when people have noticed what they're doing, they equally suddenly stop and depart, usually rapidly.

There's this one from Spain last year: :)

I like this one too. I have to say, though, I prefer the more informal-seeming, mostly choral singing emerging from the crowd than the more set apart, aria-focused performance in Valencia. And the canned music in Philly works better for me than the chintzy-sounding electronic rendition in Valencia. (And Diane, I think they stayed together so well b/c the music was being played pretty loudly. You can see someone holding their ears--unless they just don't like opera, which is possible!)

It's sort of derived from "flasher". The group arrives in any number of different ways at the site for their activity, and suddenly begins doing whatever it is they've resolved to do. Then, when people have noticed what they're doing, they equally suddenly stop and depart, usually rapidly.

Well, that may have to do with whether it's a sense of total freedom or police that ensues...

Just wanted to add that one of the charms of this was the way it's shot so that you have to keep working at knowing who's singing, you get the singers and the groundlings very easily confused in these, as they say, 'anti-romantic times'...