This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Bolshoi Dancers

drb

Alexei Ratmansky announced yesterday additions to The Bolshoi Ballet:

Aleksei Ratmansky named the artists who are joining the ballet in the new season. Soloists: Andrei Merkuriev, Artem Shpilevsky, Ivan Vasiliev. Corps-de-ballet: Ellena Bochkareva, Maria Vinogradova, Mariana Gomez, Victoria Zagrebayeva, Elena Zazakova, Victoria Litvinova, Mikhail Kryuchkov, Vladislav Lantratov, Aleksander Smolianinov, Ivan Filchev, Yegor Sharkov.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/season/press-serv...ex.php?id26=472

added 11:52 AM The announcement also mentions an American mixed bill featuring choreography of Balanchine, Tharp, and Wheeldon (Part).

Did they also list promotions?....

The press release covered a lot of ground: the Company's great success in London, new hirings at the Opera and Ballet, opera and ballet programming for the new season, travel plans, the promise of new (unspecific) dvds, awards for service within the Company. Promotions were not included.

Among dancers listed above:

Shpilevsky: His Bolshoi debut was as Espada in Don Q on July 22. He is scheduled to play the Evil Genius in Swan Lake in September, Siegfried in November (opposite Shipulina), and The Baron in Gaite Parisienne in October.

Merkuriev: He will play Yan in all September performances of The Bolt, and in October will be Jose to Alexandrova's Carmen, and will play The Miller in Le Tricorne.

Krysanova: Lyuska in Grigorovich's Golden Age in September.

Artem Shpilevsky danced at the YGP gala with J Kent and V Part earlier this year.The NYT reviewer was not too impressed.

Joe

No, I wasn't too impressed either. Shpilevsky was shown to disadvantage by one of the young contestants

who also did Albrecht's variation. I was much more impressed by the more youthful Albrecht. And Shpilevsky's partnering of Kent seemed weak to me.

I find it rather alarming that the Bolshoi has to bring in male dancers from outside. In the past the company was always renowned for its male dancers. What's happened?

In my opinion neither Merkuriev nor Shpilevsky are outstanding dancers, though Merkuriev is the better of the two. Obviously the company can produce future female stars - just look at Osipova and Krysanova, so why aren't they producing top male dancers any more?

I find it rather alarming that the Bolshoi has to bring in male dancers from outside. In the past the company was always renowned for its male dancers. What's happened?

In my opinion neither Merkuriev nor Shpilevsky are outstanding dancers, though Merkuriev is the better of the two. Obviously the company can produce future female stars - just look at Osipova and Krysanova, so why aren't they producing top male dancers any more?

It's the school which doesn't "produce" them, Mashinka. The company can't groom any top male dancers if the basic potential isn't there. But Ratmansky has high hopes in Ivan Vasiliev. And with that name, he'd better be good :)

It's the school which doesn't "produce" them, Mashinka. The company can't groom any top male dancers if the basic potential isn't there. But Ratmansky has high hopes in Ivan Vasiliev. And with that name, he'd better be good :)

That's interesting to me. I was just re-reading Arlene Croce's last "Dancing" article in The New Yorker archives, and in her scathing criticism of the state of NYCB (1996), she said that the school had been producing talented women who disappeared in the Company a few years later. But if the school isn't producing the dancers in the first place, there's not much to develop or neglect.

It is now official, from The Bolshoi site, on 3 October Ivan Vasiliev dances Basilio opposite the sublime Kitri of Natalia Osipova:

Debuts:

Ivan Vasiliev makes his Bolshoi Theatre debut in the part of Basil

Anna Nikulina - The Queen of the Dryads

Will this be the ballet event of the year?

The next night will see Diana Vishneva's first Bolshoi Giselle, with Albrecht not yet announced, but Masha Alexandrova will be her Queen. That notable balletomane, Mr. Putin, will have to put aside affairs of state for a couple of days!