This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center honorees announced-- Norman Lear, Lionel Ritchie, Gloria Estafan, LL Cool J, and Carmen de Lavallade.  Two very different articles reflecting on the announcement:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/us/politics/kennedy-center-arts-honors-trump.html?_r=0

"In an era of immigration crackdowns, racial tensions and budgetary battles over eliminating arts endowments, this year’s Kennedy Center honorees appear to be divided on how best to respond to the honor."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/the-kennedy-center-honors-abandon-the-arts-for-pop-culture/2017/08/02/0287e65c-77a0-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.bdd4b23aace2

"...only dancer and choreographer Carmen de Lavallade falls into the tradition of the arts on which the Kennedy Center was founded and built its reputation."

Edited by Drew

They haven't gotten around to Mark Morris, Bernadette Peters, Emmanuel Ax, Frank Langella, Cynthia Gregory . . . I could go on ad nauseum.  

Here's the link to past Honors web site

https://www.kennedy-center.org/pages/specialevents/honors/

You can find the list of honorees by selecting "History" from the drop down menu in the upper right-hand corner.  I'm looking at this on my phone and it may display differently on other devices.

Edited by lmspear

The omission of Glass has received a fair bit of comment in recent years, given that he's getting up there in age. Of course, Norman Lear is 95.

Thank you for posting the topic and the links, Drew. Kennicott's opinion piece for the Post is generally on target.There is nothing wrong with a mix of popular and high art, but this year in particular is completely lacking in balance. For example, Renee Fleming is retiring from opera (not performing). It would have been a fine year to honor a great American classical star at a time when she is still in wonderful voice.

7 hours ago, canbelto said:

Um well many KC award winners might not want to accept the award if it means going to the WH. Sad but true. I know I wouldn't go.

My understanding from the articles is that Lear is accepting the award but not going to the White House. So that's an option.

Edited by Drew
22 hours ago, canbelto said:

Um well many KC award winners might not want to accept the award if it means going to the WH. Sad but true. I know I wouldn't go.

And does anyone here know anything about the process -- has anyone ever refused the award?

If he's accepted the award he'll be at the theater.  The White House portion of the event is a small reception with the honorees and their personal guests, mainly a photo-op.  The big social event of the weekend is a banquet at the State Department.

11 hours ago, Jayne said:

I think they should go, and speak their minds.  This is a platform with great media attention, glamour, and prestige.  Use it to defend the arts!

Estafan has said she plans to tell Trump her thoughts about the contribution immigrants have made to the nation.

Perhaps the others can point out that it's ballet, modern dance, opera, theater, and concert music that really need support ...:dry:

It would be most effective if nobody showed up at the White House, but per the NYT article, Richie is an old buddy of Trump's and LL Cool J's view can be summed up as "This isn't about him, it's about me and I'm going to enjoy it."

Culture is a girl thing.

Interesting that Mrs. Trump is also a no-show, since as the article points out past presidents who didn't attend sent their wives instead. I do not think she would receive a hostile reception. However, to date she hasn't shown much enthusiasm for her "job," not that I blame her in any way whatsoever, so maybe this is just a good excuse to skip it.

I haven't really been following along with Melania Trump, but it seems to me that she is far less public than recent first ladies.  Even if you don't consider Michelle Obama, who made the position her job, I remember seeing Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton out and about more often than MT.  She will be going to the Invictus Games later this year, but otherwise, I don't know how public her events are.

The Kennedy Center Honors don't honor athletes - not yet, anyway :unsure:. There's really nothing to stop Mrs. Trump from attending if she were so inclined; as I said upthread, I don't think she would receive a hostile reception if she were to change her mind and attend - just the opposite, in fact.

Herb Alpert weighs in:

“I feel like we’re in a funny place right now in this country and in the world,” he says. His voice rising, he cites as an example President Trump’s decision not to attend the Kennedy Center Honors, which celebrates American performing artists.

“You think, ‘Holy moly, man, is that the type of world we’re in right now, where our political system and the guys that are in control are not honoring the arts, which we need so desperately to identify who we are and keep things going?”

You could argue that if Trump were to attend the KCH, his appearance there would basically be an exercise in irony, since he wants to eliminate the NEH and the NEA and has never shown any interest in art or the arts beyond purchasing portraits of himself with his foundation's money.  On the other hand, a symbolic honor from the president may be better than no recognition at all (?)

I saw the honors on TV tonight. I loved the tribute to LL Cool J -- it had some of the raw energy that was totally appropriate for the hip hop pioneer. This was hip hop before autotune. 

I also loved the tribute to the ever-gorgeous Carmen de Lavallade although I wish there could have been some context for her tribute -- like did they even mentioned she was an original member of Alvin Ailey?

The tribute to Norman Lear had me thinking of how members of the Bunker family would have reacted to Trump. Archie might have supported him, Edith/Gloria/Meathead definitely wouldn't have.

As  previously mentioned  Copeland and R. Fairchild were part of the de Lavallade tribute.  In addition, Stella Abrera did a pdd with Broadway star Brandon Victor Dixon.  Also, Alicia Graf Mack, Matthew Rushing and Linda Celeste Sims did part of the Wade in the Water segment from Ailey's Revelations.