37 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Dear Buddy : I queried my contacts in Piter when I was there for Shurale and was told the Vaganova event on or about March 13th is a conference not a ballet gala.

Thanks, Mnacenani.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:34 PM, Buddy said:

Thanks, Charlie. I've not found any reference to a Vaganova gala in March but I'll keep looking.

It’s on an advertisement for the program that the academy performed on a recent tour to Switzerland and some other European stops. It’s the program that includes excerpts from Burlaka’s Flora’s Awakening Suite, excerpts from Naiad & Fisherman, etc. The original ad (published in Nov)  for the Feb 2018 Euro tour also mentioned the presentation in StP. I don’t recall the venue - Alexandrinsky? Not the Mariinsky.

A similar program will be performed in Moscow, in summer, at the Kremlin Theatre.

Edited by CharlieH

On 2/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, mnacenani said:

Dear Buddy : I queried my contacts in Piter when I was there for Shurale and was told the Vaganova event on or about March 13th is a conference not a ballet gala.

Yes. The performance was originally advertised to be in conjunction with the conference.

Posted (edited)

Just confirmed by Mezzo TV of France: the March11 Petipa 200th gala will be live-telecast! According to Mezzo’s website, the gala will be conducted by Gergiev and is set to include Petipa/Vikharev’s Flora’s Awakening, Balanchine’s Midsummer Night’s Dream (assume an excerpt) and Keichel’s new (or reconstructed?) choreography  for Glazunov’s The Seasons. This is more information than what’s cited in the Mariinsky’s own site. No casting yet provided but we’re promised most of the Mariinsky principals and soloists.

http://www.mezzo.tv/nos-programmes/soiree_hommage_a_marius_petipa_theatre_mariinsky_11032018

Since the cameras will be around, is it too much to ask that they also capture the Vikharev Sleeping Beauty for future airing or a DVD release?

Also on the Petipa-200 front:

Arte TV (France) will air a new 52-Minutes documentary (by Denis Snegirev):  Marius Petipa: French Master of the Russian Ballet

http://www.poissonsvolants.com/project/marius-petipa-le-maitre-francais-du-ballet-russe/

In partnership with the French Institute of Russia, Moscow’s Bakhrushin Museum  presents a major Petipa exhibition from March 7 through June 10.

https://www.institutfrancais.ru/fr/moscou/exposition-deux-siecles-petipa

This culminates in a Petipa conference on June 6-8, 2018.

http://www.gctm.ru/en/2018/01/30/the-exhibition-two-centuries-of-marius-petipa-is-open-in-march-7/

Edited by CharlieH
Adding events

Yet more celebration of Petipa’s birthday! The Academy of Russian Ballet (Vaganova Academy) will perform a gala in Moscow’s Kremlin Theater on June 20, in honor of Petipa:

https://m.facebook.com/events/146144772734174?acontext={"ref"%3A"98"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"}&aref=98

The concert will include guests from other great ballet academies around the world. Ballets on the program include Petipa’s setting of Dance of the Hours for the ballet La Gioconda, among other rarities.

There’s a good chance that the gala will be telecast by Russia’s Kultura Channel, just as happened with the Vaganova Academy’s two past guest concerts at the Kremlin palace theater (2016 and 2017).

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There’s a good chance that the gala will be telecast by Russia’s Kultura Channel,

Have never been able to get Kultura in Istanbul - satcast footprint does not cover Istanbul, and webcast has detected and defeated every VPN I have tried. Would be grateful if any members can suggest what to try.

10 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Have never been able to get Kultura in Istanbul - satcast footprint does not cover Istanbul, and webcast has detected and defeated every VPN I have tried. Would be grateful if any members can suggest what to try.

The past Kremlin galas by the Vaganova Acad have eventually made it to YouTube but, of course, we can publicize it here if we learn of a way to see it during the telecast. 

For example, the 2016 telecast is all on YouTube, in 4 stages. Through this, you’ll also see the full 2-hr 2017 telecast in one big file. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just confirmed by Mezzo TV of France: the March11 Petipa 200th gala will be live-telecast! According to Mezzo’s website, the gala will be conducted by Gergiev and is set to include Petipa/Vikharev’s Flora’s Awakening, Balanchine’s Midsummer Night’s Dream (assume an excerpt) and Keichel’s new (or reconstructed?) choreography  for Glazunov’s The Seasons. This is more information than what’s cited in the Mariinsky’s own site. No casting yet provided but we’re promised most of the Mariinsky principals and soloists.

http://www.mezzo.tv/nos-programmes/soiree_hommage_a_marius_petipa_theatre_mariinsky_11032018

Since the cameras will be around, is it too much to ask that they also capture the Vikharev Sleeping Beauty for future airing or a DVD release?

Also on the Petipa-200 front:

Arte TV (France) will air a new 52-Minutes documentary (by Denis Snegirev):  Marius Petipa: French Master of the Russian Ballet

http://www.poissonsvolants.com/project/marius-petipa-le-maitre-francais-du-ballet-russe/

In partnership with the French Institute of Russia, Moscow’s Bakhrushin Museum  presents a major Petipa exhibition from March 7 through June 10.

https://www.institutfrancais.ru/fr/moscou/exposition-deux-siecles-petipa

This culminates in a Petipa conference on June 6-8, 2018.

http://www.gctm.ru/en/2018/01/30/the-exhibition-two-centuries-of-marius-petipa-is-open-in-march-7/

I hope I'm wrong but I have a sad feeling in my gut that tells me no Gergiev conducting equals no filming :(

The casting of the Tereshkina/Shklyarov performance, with Kondaurova as Lilac and Kolb as Carabosse, on the 8th, seems to have been made with filming in mind so who knows. When do people usually find out if a performance is being filmed or not? I feel like with a week to go we would have already found out.

They performed it this ballet 10 years and then dropped it without ever releasing a DVD/Blu-ray (other popular ballets still performed have one!). Now with it being revived for the bicentennial (and likely to be dropped again once its over) this will be the very last chance of capturing the whole ballet on celluloid. I really hope they don't throw the chance away otherwise I'd assume their personal hatred for it clouds their judgement.  

But as I'm sure you know in the "Sacred Stage" documentary they have parts of the Prologue and Rose Adagio (with Zhanna Ayupova) professionally filmed. They also have the whole vision scene (with Zhanna and Anton Korsakov) as a DVD bonus. I've always wondered if that whole performance was actually filmed, for the documentary producers to pick and choose clips with permission, and its now lying somewhere in the Mariinsky vaults gathering dust.

Edited by NAOTMAA

9 hours ago, NAOTMAA said:

I hope I'm wrong but I have a sad feeling in my gut that tells me no Gergiev conducting equals no filming :(

The casting of the Tereshkina/Shklyarov performance, with Kondaurova as Lilac and Kolb as Carabosse, on the 8th, seems to have been made with filming in mind so who knows. When do people usually find out if a performance is being filmed or not? I feel like with a week to go we would have already found out.

They performed it this ballet 10 years and then dropped it without ever releasing a DVD/Blu-ray (other popular ballets still performed have one!). Now with it being revived for the bicentennial (and likely to be dropped again once its over) this will be the very last chance of capturing the whole ballet on celluloid. I really hope they don't throw the chance away otherwise I'd assume their personal hatred for it clouds their judgement.  

But as I'm sure you know in the "Sacred Stage" documentary they have parts of the Prologue and Rose Adagio (with Zhanna Ayupova) professionally filmed. They also have the whole vision scene (with Zhanna and Anton Korsakov) as a DVD bonus. I've always wondered if that whole performance was actually filmed, for the documentary producers to pick and choose clips with permission, and its now lying somewhere in the Mariinsky vaults gathering dust.

You’re absolutely correct, NAOTMAA...and I love your name & understand it. (Wink)  The one hope — and apologies for sounding a bit crass — is that, now, the majority of coaches (ex-stars) of the Soviet ballet, who were so inflamed by Vikharev’s reconstruction, have either retired or passed away. Fewer angry voices may mean a chance that the new-old Sleeping Beauty may be filmed professionally for posterity?

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You’re absolutely correct, NAOTMAA...and I love your name & understand it. (Wink)  The one hope — and apologies for sounding a bit crass — is that, now, the majority of coaches (ex-stars) of the Soviet ballet, who were so inflamed by Vikharev’s reconstruction, have either retired or passed away. Fewer angry voices may mean a chance that the new-old Sleeping Beauty may be filmed professionally for posterity?

Unfortunately as Tim Scholl said as long as Gregiev is sill in change with yes men, like Yuri Fateyev, around things will only continue to decline. Their the ones who let all the "older generation haters" have their way. And the ones who stop any chance of progress. 

He told me he has more faith in the people at the Bolshoi. They're more liberal and open minded (as much as one can be in Russia) then those in charge at the Mariinsky. 

Posted (edited)

It’s amazingly refreshing that one very powerful voice in St Petersburg belongs to someone who champions the Imperial past and Petipa: Nikolai Tsiskaridze, rector of the АРБ. What a tough, willful character he has turned out to be! And he isn’t afraid to open his mouth and take political stands. Have you seen his latest TV spot in favor of Putin for the upcoming presidential elections? My wife & I were laughing our heads off, not out of disrespect but...Since when has a ballet dancer been so vocal on TV in politics? 

I’ll see if the ad is on YouTube and, if so, post it here.

It didn’t take long to find it:

The Academy is not the same as the Mariinsky Theater but, still, the momentum is with a return to honoring the past, no matter how hard the old pro-Soviet biddies kick and scream.

Edited by CharlieH
added NT political clip

Posted (edited)

I'm very much looking forward to the Vaganova Petipa tribute gala in June. I'm sure Tsiskaridze and crew won't disappoint. But I hope it makes it's way on YouTube as I won't be able to access the channel it's airing on here :(

As for the Vaganova school, it's wonderful their embracing the imperial past when the Mariinsky won't. Rejecting the imperial past is like rejecting Petipa. Which is sad because the Mariinsky and Petipa (who symbolizes everything that is imperial in ballet) are suppose to be bonded and forever linked. But it will be okay as long as somewhere in Russia their upholding the grand traditions that made it the worlds ballet capital. The Bolshoi is definitely benefiting from it. 

Edited by NAOTMAA

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It’s amazingly refreshing that one very powerful voice in St Petersburg belongs to someone who champions the Imperial past and Petipa: Nikolai Tsiskaridze, rector of the АРБ. What a tough, willful character he has turned out to be! And he isn’t afraid to open his mouth and take political stands. Have you seen his latest TV spot in favor of Putin for the upcoming presidential elections? My wife & I were laughing our heads off, not out of disrespect but...Since when has a ballet dancer been so vocal on TV in politics? 

I’ll see if the ad is on YouTube and, if so, post it here.

It didn’t take long to find it:

The Academy is not the same as the Mariinsky Theater but, still, the momentum is with a return to honoring the past, no matter how hard the old pro-Soviet biddies kick and scream.

Svetlana Zahkharov was a Duma deputy for a term (2008-2012). 

I don't hold it against Russian artists that they support Putin, but I confess it doesn't make me laugh either. I kind of doubt Serebrennikov is laughing much about fellow artists, including fellow film-makers, supporting this regime.

(I'm rather a Russophile and sometimes dream of going to live in St. Petersburg for a time. But if the Imperial Past of Russia takes in a world of qualities that were wonderful, others were....not so wonderful. One doesn't have to be pro-Soviet to think so.)

Edited by Drew

As it happens, the most virulently anti-Putin Russian person I know is also a dancer.  I am trying to be charitable here but perhaps Tsiskaridze is supporting the status quo because there is currently no viable opposition.

I watched this morning’s rally on Russian TV. Valeri Gergiev delivered an impassioned pro-Putin speech. Putin made his grand entrance into Luzhniki Stadium surrounded by the gold-medal winning hockey team and the female figure skaters. 

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

...Since when has a ballet dancer been so vocal on TV in politics?

Baryshnikov made his anti-Trump position clear and endorsed Clinton.

14 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Baryshnikov made his anti-Trump position clear and endorsed Clinton.

He made a powerful endorsement video for YouTube:

Posted (edited)

Ugh, I detest mixing these politics with art and sport.  

But I suppose they are unavoidable in Russia when so much funding is from the state. 

Edited by Jayne

I have mixed feelings about the instances when politics gets brought into the art. On the one hand, I support anyone’s right to express their political views. On the other hand, I loathe when protesters disrupts performances. Especially when they chose the wrong target (one example springs to my mind is when Poosy Riot’s supporters mistook Temirkanov for Gergiev).

Moscow’s Stanislavsky Ballet holds its own Petipa-200th B’day gala on April 24:

https://stanmus.ru/event/441139

...includes last act of Paquita, the Jardin Anime of Corsaire, and John Neumeier’s version of The Seasons (Glazunov).

Posted (edited)

The Vaganova Academy’s web  has made available the catalogue and detailed program of its 3-day Petipa Symposium (March 10-12, 2018). Scroll to the bottom and click on the cover of the brochure. Includes synopses of all presentations (Russian and French), photos and short bios of all presenters, etc.

http://vaganovaacademy.ru/nauchnaya/seminari/hommage-a-petipa-iv.html

Edited by CharlieH

38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Moscow’s Stanislavsky Ballet holds its own Petipa-200th B’day gala on April 24:

Я знаю - у меня есть билет  :D

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

St Petersburg’s annual Dance Open Festival presents the Ekaterinburg Ballet in Sergei Vikharev’s reconstruction of Petipa's La Fille Mal Gardee

Saw this in March 2016 when it was performed at the Bolshoy as part of the "Zalataya Maska" festival. As usual tix were not sold by Bolshoy but by ZM and I could not get a ticket online, so I referred the matter to the concierge team, asking for a ticket for "FMG". They called ZM and were told there is no FMG being performed !  It later transpired that in Russia FMG is called "Tshetnaya Predostorojnost" ...... a direct translation of "La Precaution Inutile" :wacko:

the English translation long used for the Russian language title of La Fille Mal Gardée is VAIN PRECAUTIONS.