This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Petipa Bicentennial (March 11, 2018)

So it seems that not only will we not get a filmed version of the whole Sleeping Beauty reconstruction (we already have Act 3 filmed! Why ignore the rest?) but we now won't get a possible DVD/Blu-Ray of Flora either. :dry:

If they want to change something in the gala then ditch the Balanchine. He may be Petipa's spiritual son but he still isn't Petipa.

Eliminate the actual work of the man your honoring in favor of an assimilation. Taking Flora out is just stupid. They really know how to mess thing up! :angry2:

Edited by NAOTMAA

well i say a petipa gala should have petipa and petipa only ! and i say the reconstructions only, ugh that the awakening of  flora replaced by balanchine what is wrong with them! i think i know  by now -gergiev and fateyev !

Edited by tabitha

2 hours ago, tabitha said:

well i say a petipa gala should have petipa and petipa only ! and i say the reconstructions only, ugh that flora replaced by balanchine what is wrong with them! i think i know  by now -gergiev and fateyev !

If I were attending this event, then I would want to see as much Petipa as possible, too, and one wishes the company was offering more in the way of the unexpected, rarely performed, and reconstructed for this gala and the festival generally....but Flora was not "replaced" by the Balanchine which was already on the program--at least according to what was reported above; it was replaced by Act III of Sleeping Beauty.

Edited by Drew

I'm still not happy about this but if they're going to do Act III of the reconstruction again then we better not be robbed of seeing the whole apotheosis in all its full blown majestic glory again. In the 2007 New Year's gala it was interrupted in favor of Rossini's "Il viaggio a Reims"  version complete with opera singers. I want to hear Tchaikovsky and see the Lilac fairy and the gods in the clouds! This time they got no reason not to but knowing our luck so far they'll probably find a way 

Edited by NAOTMAA

8 hours ago, NAOTMAA said:

I'm still not happy about this but if they're going to do Act III of the reconstruction again then we better not be robbed of seeing the whole apotheosis in all its full blown majestic glory again. In the 2007 New Year's gala it was interrupted in favor of Rossini's "Il viaggio a Reims"  version complete with opera singers. I want to hear Tchaikovsky and see the Lilac fairy and the gods in the clouds! This time they got no reason not to but knowing our luck so far they'll probably find a way 

Exactly! Or, as in that New Year’s telecast, have Lopatkina bourree out as Dying Swan, in the midst of Beauty’s finale...she who went on record as loathing the reconstructions! 

Now my biggest nightmare is that Gergiev & Fateev decide to use the Beauty surroundings as background for a potpourri of Petipa PDDs and solos, as is often done in the operatic world with A2 of Die Fledermaus.

Call for scholarly papers for possible presentation at the  Petipa Conference in Moscow’s Bakhrushin Museum (June 6-8). Deadline for your topics and abstracts: March 30, 2018. Entry form is in this link:

http://www.gctm.ru/en/petipa_en/

The topics of the six panels seem more intriguing (controversial?) than what’s being presented in St-P this weekend, e.g., Moscow opens the door to delve into arguments on versions, notations and restorations (“Notation and Folklore”). Another is “Petipa: Brand or Kitsch?” On the other hand, Prof. R.J. Wiley is participating in the St-P event, so a few feathers may be ruffled there, too.

Edited by CharlieH
noting Prof. Wiley's participation in St.P

3 hours ago, Gnossie said:

As I said on the Mariinsky Festival thread and forgot to post earlier here: 

The Awakening of Flora no longer to be filmed, so, the only reconstruction that the Mariinsky can actually perform very well because it's usually performed, they are not going to dance, they are going to dance the SB reconstruction, which requires an insane amount of coaching that the dancers are not being provided.

Coherence doesn't abound at the Mariinsky."

And by videos seen of today's performance, Vikharev and Petipa turn in their graves. Poor Novikova will try to save the ship tomorrow but with the horrible Desiré and Lilac she has been given......may Petipa and Vikharev help her.

Ditto, with what others have expressed, they better film the apotheosis, although it wouldn't be surprising to see a whole lot of Soviet pdds performed in "honor" of Marius Alphonse since the MOSG (Mariinsky Old Soviet Guard) considers Sergeyev to be an "improvement" of Petipa, Oh boy.....😂

I consider it to be self-sabotage. 

Nice to see you back on the forum Tabitha!!!

The only videos out there I've seen so far are of the Garland Waltz and the Rose Adagio as well as a short one of Tereshkina's entrance. Are there any more? 

When the castings first came out I thought it was strangely lopsided in favor of the first night. There seem to be a combination of big names, respected veterans and new generation promising youngsters. Outside of Novikova the second performance seems filled with much lesser names although Skorik has been getting a big push in recent years. That's why I thought and hoped (for a brief moment) that there were possible plans to film the first performance. Otherwise why would they seem to go all out in castings for one (and not the other) other then the fact they would want the very first performance of the Petipa celebrations to start with some of the best. 

Is there any news on who's dancing in the gala? It's only 3 days away! Ekaterina Osmolkina (who you mentioned previously as a Vikharev muse and if we were lucky Flora) danced Aurora in the 2007 New Year's gala and was positively lovely. Perhaps she'll do it again since she isn't scheduled for anything until the 18th. Is there any other lady who is currently not engaged? Any Désiré's? And any casting for The Seasons and Balanchine's Dream yet? 

Edited by NAOTMAA

I noticed on the Russian Kultra channel from the 9th to the 11th at 12:45 they aired old recordings of Peitpa ballets in honor of the bicentennial. Sleeping Beauty with Irina Kolpakova from 1982 on the 9th, La Bayadere from 1979 on the 10th and on the 11th their broadcasting Raymonda with Kolpakova again. Tsiskaridze did the opening introductions. Its strange to honor Petipa with Soviet incarnations but I guess since none of the reconstructions were never filmed they got no choice :dry: 

Does anybody know where someone from outside of Europe can view the gala? 

40 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

If you tell me how you are able to receive Kultura I will respond in kind :)

I unfortunately can't cause I don't get it :( I was just looking on their website and only saw it after seeing Petipa's picture while scrolling down on the main page. I like looking at what's on tv in other countries even if I can't watch them just out if interest :D 

Edited by NAOTMAA

Happy Birthday, Petipa! Sending birthday greetings from enchanting, magical Bali, where there’s still one hour to go before March 11 becomes March 12. Thanks to everyone in Russia for reports on the events, whether positive or not. What matters: hoorah for Petipa!

Dear Buddy and MadameP  :  I thought I did not hear one of my most beloved melodies on Friday evening - it's at time 5:27 on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1c7h059Vw&list=PLBA87816B22473D82&index=14

Am I right or was I dozing off at the time ??  Would appeciate if you can confirm or deny. Btw this is an excellent annotated set of videos for the complete SB music - my gratitude to whoever took the trouble.

1 hour ago, mnacenani said:

Dear Buddy and MadameP  :  I thought I did not hear one of my most beloved melodies on Friday evening - it's at time 5:27 on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1c7h059Vw&list=PLBA87816B22473D82&index=14

Am I right or was I dozing off at the time ??  Would appeciate if you can confirm or deny. Btw this is an excellent annotated set of videos for the complete SB music - my gratitude to whoever took the trouble.

That music is the music used for Aurora's variation in the  Dream act in both the Sergeyev Mariinsky production and the Bolshoi production.  In  the Vikharev reconstruction, Aurora's variation is  the one Sergeyev used for the Lilac Fairy, so no, you did not hear that music for Aurora's variation.

Edited by MadameP

10 minutes ago, MadameP said:

That music is the music that Sergeyev uses for Aurora's solo in the Dream act, and in the Vikharev reconstruction, Aurora's variation is set the one Sergeyev used for the Lilac Fairy, so no, you did not hear it!  

большое спасибо - Я подозревал, что так  :D

6 minutes ago, Gnossie said:

You did not asked me but I most answer. 

The reconstruction of The Sleeping Beauty performs Aurora's variation to the Gold Fairy music from Act III, just as it happened on the premier since Petipa discarded the music Tchaikovsky had originally composed for Aurora's variation. This is historically accurate. 

Ah - So that is where it comes from originally?  I did not know!  Nevertheless, this music IS currently used for the Lilac Fairy's 3rd act variation in the Sergeyev version.   The Gold Fairy doesn't get a variation in the Sergeyev SB.

Since the Sergeyev version has so many changes from what Petipa had originally created what version would people consider closestest to the original, after the reconstruction? 

Edited by NAOTMAA

1 hour ago, Gnossie said:

The reconstruction of The Sleeping Beauty performs Aurora's variation to the Gold Fairy music from Act III, just as it happened on the premier since Petipa discarded the music Tchaikovsky had originally composed for Aurora's variation. This is historically accurate

Thank you very much for this info !

I read back then Petipa use to rechoreograph and tweak ballets on the strengths and weaknesses of the dancer taking over the role. That's why it's near impossible, even with the notation, to see what Sleeping Beauty was like when it was first performed in 1893. Yet today from what I've seen it seems everyone is expected to dance it as choreographed regardless. When did that change? 

22 minutes ago, Gnossie said:

In YOUR opinion. 

I haven't seen the Ratmansky reconstruction so I can't compare but I guess looking at pictures and small clips the overall look seems very flashy and out there. I guess it's the feeling and atmosphere that would be the biggest difference. It certainly has the Dagliev flash which is different from Petipa and his overall style.

Of course Sleeping Princess was over 30 years after Petipa's original and a lot changed in between them (in dance and culture) so of course there is differences in that area. 

Edited by NAOTMAA

17 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Petipa Gala Konda-Masha

Primas galore at the Petipa Gala

One can’t be sure, but Kondaurova looks like she is signing an autograph for someone (the woman standing in front of the box looking up at her) —that would be quite gracious given that she is there as a spectator of the performance.