This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is Alyona Kovalyova "Zvezda" material ??

15 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

I found this interview of Alena where she speaks about her time at the Bolshoi. I don't speak Russian but if you do it might be a nice interview to watch. Her part starts at around 37 minutes. 

Balshoye Spasiba !!   :wub::wub::wub:  

49 minutes ago, Fleurdelis said:

Some interview. All the insightfullness of saying that Volga flows into the Caspian sea.

Hmm...Just a handful of questions answered by a still very young ballerina at the beginning of her career--what would one expect? I thought the stories about how she found out she was a soloist -- and also about getting lost at the theater her first day and asking directions of someone else who turned out also to be lost were charming enough.  As for her refusing to go into more depth when asked a personal question about disappointments in love -- that seems very sensible.    

4 hours ago, Drew said:

She is what...21?

I think she is closer to 20, but even so this interview sounds too much like kindergarten chatter. If you are too young to have something substantive to tell the world, why do these interviews? The same goes for the interviewer who is asking ridiculously banal questions.

Alyona Kovalyova — remember her (or any other favorite long not seen on video) ?  It’s been several years since I’ve seen a video clip of her in Swan Lake. Care to see some footage from about nine months ago ?  She first appears at 3:10, but mostly after 5:40.

I missed two tries seeing her this year, Moscow and Chicago, but I’m determined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm0lZ0D5wE0

(posted by one of the leads on stage)

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocng78V9EmQ

Added: Sort of a nice out of the corner of my eye sort of thing. As she and 'Rothbart' (the bad guy) are coming on from the back of the stage at 5:40 you can see them helping each other. Even if she is the 'bad' swan at this time, it's a nice change of sentiment.

Edited by Buddy

Two days ago she performed The Pharaoh's Daughter with Artemy Belyakov.  In a video clip from this performance -- she looks radiantly beautiful. 

I've mentioned at other topics that I consider the Mariinsky's Oxana Skorik to be perhaps the most beautiful ballerina today in terms of lyrical loveliness. Alyona Kovalyova, who also comes from a Mariinsky background, having graduated it's school, the Vaganova, before joining the Bolshoi, is possibly my second choice.

In the video clip, the first thing that I noticed was her hands. While never being a feature that stood out before, in this performance they look absolutely lovely. It would seem that she's been paying much attention to this as always seems to be the case with Oxana Skorik, whose hands I consider to be perhaps the most beautiful in all of ballet.

Alyona Kovalyova's remarkable linear grace is also as fine as I've seen in any of her performances. Her tallness can be somewhat of a challenge for her partner, but it also creates an opportunity for very impressive highlighting and it certainly adds emphasis to her wonderfully statuesque aura.    

It's official -- Alyona Kovalyova and Egor Gerashchenko have been made Principals.

https://2011.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/soloist/

This news was relayed to me by Mnacenani, who started this topic, (Thank you) and discussed at the ballet forum in Russia Monday, but I didn't want to post anything until it was documented.

She's perhaps the most beautifully graceful dancer at the Bolshoi today. Her Vaganova (Mariinsky school) loveliness is very evident. Congratulations to her.  

Edited by Buddy

It's a disgrace. Vaziev has elevated a young woman who flops her limbs around and routinely falls off pointe. Over the weekend Muscovites still using Instagram started a huge wave of sympathy for Maria Vinogradova.

I have a feeling that Gerashchenko is being used as a proxy in the war between Vaziev and Tsiskaridze. Tsiskaridze is continually critical of Vaziev and has terrible things to say about Gerashchenko, so Vaziev takes his revenge by promoting the latter, even though he is not remotely ready.

https://www.kino-teatr.ru/lifestyle/news/y2021/3-27/24138/

The silver lining is that with the Bolshoi back behind the iron curtain, we won't be subjected to Vaziev's perverse casting, and we won't have to watch the Bolshoi's continuing degradation. 

On the video I've seen and also the one time I saw her dance live (three years ago now) it has been impossible for me not to find Kovalyova rather likable and to root for her success -she has a twinkle in her eye I find quite appealing. But the news did surprise me.

Edited by Drew

I saw Kovalyova only a handful of times, because I avoided her performances, but even so, I reckon I saw her fall off pointe almost a dozen times. She is about 5'11" tall and doesn't have good control of her body, and probably never will. Her Myrtha and Queen of the Dryads were not impressive, and her performance in Etudes was shambolic. The only role in which I enjoyed her was as the ballerina in Béjart's Gaîté parisienne, because the height imbalance with her partner played into the comedy, it suited her natural gaucheness, and she was completely unvain about it.

But since there's a good chance I won't see her again, I won't fret about Kovalyova too much.