This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is Alyona Kovalyova "Zvezda" material ??

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sorry :wub:-- I missed it somehow--Thank you Canbelto (and Buddy for letting me know).

You're welcome, Drew. You might want to find the most current video of Oksana Skorik doing the same thing. Both these ballerinas have remarkable beauty of motion and I think will be viewed together and compared as the artistic heiresses to Ulyana Lopatkina.

Edited by Buddy

Quinten, I'm glad that you mentioned Alina Somova, because she is another that I would put in a possible 'Ulyana Lopatkina pantheon.' The fact that she attempts so many different directions (much to her credit) has perhaps overshadowed her extremely fine 'lyrical' beauty.

I would say that we differ in our opinions in that you are probably being more specific and I tend to go for overall effect, although I could single out specifics, and do try to, about Alyona Konvalyova that I find exceptional.

Added:

I might also say that 'imperfections' don't bother me if they reflect 'attempts' at a broader artistry, which I think applies to Alyona Kovalyova. There's the story about George Balanchine praising the most a dancer who fell because she was the one that really took a chance and went for it.

Edited by Buddy
13 hours ago, Quinten said:

Buddy, just to clarify, I'm not blaming Alyona, she is doing the best she can.  I do blame her coach and the AD who I think should do better by her.

Quinten, in all fairness from my point of view I think that they are doing well by her, but I might be missing something. I don't follow this that closely. I do favor giving her as much high profile exposure as possible, but at the same time Makhar Vaziev is giving her secondary leads, I believe rightly to broaden her range and experience. And I have to think that many of the things that I believe she does so well have to be the result of good coaching.

I do appreciate your kindness in your above quote and hope that you continue to enjoy the art form and contribute to the discussion as much as possible.

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction
On 12/24/2017 at 5:33 AM, mnacenani said:

Alyona to dance her second Odette/Odile on January 16th partnered by Rodkin !  Would have loved to see this but little chance of finding any good seats now....

Alyona Kovalyova will be dancing Nikia (La Bayadere), May 2. Her debut, I believe.

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/1/roles/#20180502190000

As of the moment seats are available, Mnacenani.

http://tickets.bolshoi.ru/en/performance/12997/

Added: I would certainly like to go myself, but will probably be far away from Europe at the time.

Added, added: And, Good Golly!, Svetlana Zakharova, April29 and Olga Smirnova, April 30. Go, Man, go !  I'm in California, but....

Edited by Buddy
3 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Alyona Kovalyova will be dancing Nikia (La Bayadere), May 2. Her debut, I believe.

Thank you dear Buddy - casting must have been posted within the day, it wasn't when I looked up early this morning. I got a ticket last evening, acting on a tip-off by someone with access to insider info, good to know that I haven't thrown money away. Bayaderka I really can see five nights in a row with different casts, but not possible this time. Would have liked to see Zaharova and Krysanova too.

8 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Thank you dear Buddy - casting must have been posted within the day, it wasn't when I looked up early this morning. I got a ticket last evening, acting on a tip-off by someone with access to insider info, good to know that I haven't thrown money away. Bayaderka I really can see five nights in a row with different casts, but not possible this time. Would have liked to see Zaharova and Krysanova too.

And Olga Smirnova, April 30. Change your plans !  :)

12 hours and $1000 from LA on Aeroflot. Something for me to dream about.

Edited by Buddy
16 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Tickets available for April 30, Olga Smirnova.

http://tickets.bolshoi.ru/en/performance/12863/

31 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Yes it'll be her debut in role and boy - isn't she making progress !  I expect her to do well as Nikiya, but I attach great importance to Gamzatti in this ballet who is Marchenkova in this performance. For me dramatically Gamzatti is as important, if not more, than Nikiya. Alexandrova was GREAT in this role re both tech and characterisation - don't know Marchenkova at all. There is great scope for drama in the second act - when Nikiya is dancing with the basket and is bitten the reaction and facial expression of Gamzatti can make or break the drama, and no recording can do justice to this scene - you have to be there and see the whole stage. I will now go and watch this scene on Bolshoy Zaharova-Alexa. dvd to post further comment.

Edited by mnacenani
2 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Don't rub salt into my wound !  I'll be in London for Chess between 27-29 April  :crying::crying:

Then catch a plane to Moscow, April 30. If it weren't totally insane I'd fly from California.

Edited by Buddy
35 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Don't rub salt into my wound !  I'll be in London for Chess between 27-29 April  :crying::crying:

Olga Smirnova's La Bayadere at last year's Mariinsky Festival was one of the greatest performances by Anybody that I've ever seen. Check my posts from that Festival.

36 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Olga Smirnova's La Bayadere at last year's Mariinsky Festival was one of the greatest performances by Anybody that I've ever seen. Check my posts from that Festival.

37 minutes ago, Quinten said:

Marchenkova has danced Gamzatti a couple of times but the main reason I suspect for casting her with Kovalyova is her height, 5'8".  She is everything a Vaganova dancer is not, so these two are likely to look kind of awkward together. 

You may be right - a Gamzatti shorter than Nikiya may not have "looked right". Re Vaganova : Alexandrova wasn't a graduate but she was my default Gamzatti, so let's wait and see. I am hoping to post my humble opinion in due time.

1 hour ago, mnacenani said:

There is great scope for drama in the second act - when Nikiya is dancing with the basket and is bitten the reaction and facial expression of Gamzatti can make or break the drama, and no recording can do justice to this scene - you have to be there and see the whole stage. I will now go and watch this scene on Bolshoy Zaharova-Alexa. dvd to post further comment.

Watched Bolshoi video from 2013 (available in full on Medici TV, couldn't find on YT) and it doesn't show what I wanted to display :  (if my memory doesn't fail me) when Nikiya/Zaharova is bitten Gamzatti/Alexa. (having previously seen her father give instructions to Aya) steps down from her throne and looks at her father in horror and disbelief - great moment which "takes one inside". The need to do close-ups for tv broadcast or dvd recording really takes much away from dramatic ballet imho.

Edited by mnacenani
1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Agree Smirnova is fabulous Nikiya and certainly was so at last year's Festival.  

1 hour ago, Quinten said:

Marchenkova has danced Gamzatti a couple of times but the main reason I suspect for casting her with Kovalyova is her height, 5'8".  She is everything a Vaganova dancer is not, so these two are likely to look kind of awkward together.  I couldn't find any video of her in La Bayadere but here is a relatively low key performance as the third odalisque:

Marchenkova will still be shorter than the very tall Kovalyova, but I also think she was chosen as Gamzatti for this performance because she is nearer to Alyona in height.  However, personally I do not like her as a dancer, and in particular, I think she has awful arms and hands.

25 minutes ago, rhys said:

Marchenkova's debut as Gamzatti, in Stepanova's debut performance as Nikiya, no less:

Thank you so much rhys ! Now I know what to expect on 2nd May - not too bad but will never replace Alexandrova as my "Gamzatti Assoluta" !  Imho Marchenkova needs some acting coaching, however am looking forward to the high extensions of the long-limbed Bolshoy young generation, so reviled by some of our membership !  :D:D

PS - Dailymotion is a very good source for Bolshoy pirate videos - why do I keep forgetting to look up from time to time .....

Edited by mnacenani
1 hour ago, mnacenani said:

"HABEMUS KOPPELIAM !" - After Seeing Three Casts of Coppelia on 20-21 March. Cannot start new thread due to account problem so had to post under this thread.

Hmm...how odd. perhaps the moderators could break off discussion of this Coppelia and give it its own thread? 

You don't say anything about the production. I think it is fantastic--really makes the case for Coppelia as ballet's master comedy.

I can easily picture Krysanova would make an excellent Swanilda, and I'm intrigued to read your account of Khokholova's performance. Nothing I have seen of her live or on video has made me want to see her in a major role, but I know dancers grow and she has long had the attention of the powers that be at the Bolshoi. It would be great if Swanilda were a breakthrough role for her.  I'm hoping Shrainer has success in the role as well.  (I'd be happy to hear your impressions of the Coppelius as well--that's a fantastic part for a great character dancer.)

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

perhaps the moderators could break off discussion of this Coppelia and give it its own thread?

Yes please dear Moderators - pls give it the caption in bold lettering. Dear Drew will continue with my report once at the airport.

And now a brief return to Topic since you've pointed us in this direction, Mnacenani.

Alyona *Swan* will be doing another coveted debut, “La Bayadere”, May 2, and I know that you’re planning to be there. Hope that it’s a great one for you. In the company of Svetlana Zakharova and Olga Smirnova (and Ekaterina Krysanova and Yulia Stepanova) no less. Wow !

Alyona *Swan* ?  Well I’ve just been watching video clips of Galina Ulanova and Ulyana Lopatkina in Fokine’s Swan and Alyona Kovalyova in her second Swan Lake, White Swan duet. These two works run together for me. Swans, I guess, have become something magically beautiful in ballet. I think that she’s on her way to being the most purely beautiful ballerina in the world, in the company of Oxana Skorik. She may be there already. And she has a wonderful youthfulness that contrasts to Oxana Skorik’s remarkable maturity.

In addition, she may also be on her way to being one of the most beautiful Mariinsky ballerinas ever, except that she’s doing it at the Bolshoi.

Alyona *Swan*.  Yes, I do believe so.

Edited by Buddy
New sentences added here and there