This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

When did you first begin attending ballet performances? How did you di

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lafemme

lafemme

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I am quite curious!

#2 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

The so-called 'dance boom' has much to answer for in my case :happy.png

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Joffrey 1960s

#4 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Well, my mother took me to see The Sleeping Beauty when I was four, in 1955, and I've been attending ballet performances (and for a while, performing in them :), ever since! (BTW, my mother was afraid I might be restless, but apparently I didn't move or take my eyes off the stage the whole time!)

#5 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

It was when I took myself - and sometimes, a date - in the same year!  

First experiences are often very memorable, and I still remember from that time a little of Francisco Moncion and Maria Tallchief in Balanchine's Firebird, another NYCB cast in Jerome Robbins's The Age of Anxiety, what must have been the post-de Basil Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo in Petrushka, and maybe it was Ballet Theater in de Mille's Rodeo.

I was in my later teens, and I had noticed some ballet companies in town on tour were putting on some of the ballets I enjoyed casually hearing the music from, on a friend's family's records, so it seemed worth having a look.  I had some pretty striking experiences carrying out that experiment, because not much was as I had expected, and I gave it up for a while when I went off to college.

I didn't get really hooked, though, until I got curious again ten years later, and I happened to see Balanchine's Rubies (in the whole Jewels suite), in 1967.  By coincidence I already knew well the music it was danced to, and I was riveted by the illusion that the dancers were often doing what the notes and phrases of the music seem to tell them to do.  (Rubies was never my top fave, but that was another one of those memorable personal discoveries.)    

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

It was Giselle-(I know...always Giselle..)-, in Havana...during my teen years.

#7 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

My first ballet performance was in or around1992 or 93, when I was in my late 20s.  My colleague at work was (and still is) married to NYCB principal dancer Helene Alexopolous.  He invited me and another colleague to see Alexopolous as Helena in Midsummer Night's Dream. I also recall that Jock Soto was Puck.  I was hooked.  Sadly, I slip in and out of contact with my friend due to both our busy schedules, but he is aware that he started me on the path to balletomania.

#8 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

My mother took me, along with my best friend from nursery school, to see a film of the Kirov dancing Sleeping Beauty. I was completely smitten...

#9 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

May 2011 first live performance at NYCB - Agon and Square Dance.  I sat next to a lady named Barbara Milberg Fisher.

She told me she was in the first performance of Agon and she critiqued the program for me.  She said they did a good job with Agon;  and they left out the hard steps in Square Dance. I knew I was where I was supposed to be. 

#10 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:55 AM

My mother, a former nightclub dancer, put me in ballet class at age 4. Later in childhood my dance studio would take us to see touring companies dancing at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. I saw the Kirov do Cinderella and the Royal Ballet do Romeo & Juliet and from then on my life was the never the same!

#11 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:05 AM

May 2011 first live performance at NYCB - Agon and Square Dance.  I sat next to a lady named Barbara Milberg Fisher.

She told me she was in the first performance of Agon and she critiqued the program for me.  She said they did a good job with Agon;  and they left out the hard steps in Square Dance. I knew I was where I was supposed to be. 

Wow, what a great opening bill (was the other ballet forgettable?) and a great seat you chose to see it in. As you may know, Millberg has written a memoir that Balanchine lovers love, entitled In Balanchine's Company

My first trip to the ballet was as part of a high school humanities class in 1975. We saw the Joffrey dance Trinity, The Relativity of Icarus, and The Green Table, in that order. We sat way up in the gallery of Chicago's 4200-seat Auditorium Theatre - but obviously that was close enough.

#12 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

kfw, the third piece that Saturday afternoon must have been Apollo, and though I have seen it many times since, I cannot remember that performance. Ms. Milberg told me about her book which I subsequently read.  I know in the evening we saw Concerto Barocco, Four Temperaments, and Episodes.   I went back the next day and saw a bunch of Stravinsky - Movements, Monumentum, Duo Concertante, and I cannot remember what else.   I would love to see The Green Table.

#13 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

Late 40s.   Danilova/Franklin.  Nothing mattered after seeing them.   Saw first Balanchine early 50s when they toured to Chicago.  My teacher at the time had studied with Balanchine and knew all the dancers.  I met so many of them backstage afterward, including the Great Man himself!  My future was clinched!   I was not yet ten!

#14 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

kfw, the third piece that Saturday afternoon must have been Apollo, and though I have seen it many times since, I cannot remember that performance. Ms. Milberg told me about her book which I subsequently read.  I know in the evening we saw Concerto Barocco, Four Temperaments, and Episodes.   I went back the next day and saw a bunch of Stravinsky - Movements, Monumentum, Duo Concertante, and I cannot remember what else.

My goodness - no wonder you became a fan!

#15 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

As a child, my first live performance was the Royal Ballet's "The Sleeping Beauty" at Covent Garden.  

The cast:  Lesley Collier as Aurora, Marguerite Porter as the Lilac Fairy, Anthony Dowell as Prince Florimund,

Jennifer Penney & Wayne Eagling as the Bluebirds, and Monica Mason as Carabosse.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):