This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Veronika Part doing Giselle at the Mariinsky !!!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

It would break my heart to see her leave NY, but if it's her dream to be a prima ballerina at the Mariinsky, then I hope she gets exactly what she wants. I can't think of anyone more deserving. Her journey as a dancer has been an amazing and unusual one, with the most profound blossoming of her artistry and technique beginning in her early to mid-thirties. If anyone can make a career jump in the late summer of her career, it's Part. If something like this does happen, I just have my fingers crossed for frequent Mariinsky visits to New York and lots of videos. 

#17 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

I think any talks about her permanent move to Mariinsky are premature, a good part of the company will be in London at that time, they may just need some outside extra help. May be it's just my wishful thinking. If she were to move to Mariinsky I'd be very happy for her but sad that I wouldn't have much opportunity to see her.

BTW, it's an evening performance, not a weekday matinee, take that, Kevin!

The only possible consolation for that would be the fact that we'd be far more likely to finally get some good video recordings while she's still in her prime.  It's a tough call: 5-7 more years of live performances in NYC, or a lifetime of being able to watch her onscreen in a few of her signature roles.  I really don't know which I'd choose!

Or we could take matters into our own hands and have both. We could chip in to buy a whole center parterre box and discreetly set up an video cam there.

Many ABT performances are recorded and archived at NYPL Dance Collection but none of them featuring her as lead: http://nypl.biblioco...author&t=author

#18 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

If ABT loses Part, there won't be much to see for me there until they acquire a ballerina of a comparable stature. This season I attended only three performances, because all Part appearances were matinees.

#19 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

If ABT loses Part, there won't be much to see for me there until they acquire a ballerina of a comparable stature. This season I attended only three performances, because all Part appearances were matinees.

I agree, Waelsung, that without Part, ABT is nothing more than a regional company. Unless, of course, they promote Stella Abrera and give her principal roles.

#20 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

The rest of the casting is finally out, poor Veronika has to dance opposite Ivanchenko's Albrecht! He shouldn't have any trouble with the lifts but Veronika will have to do all the acting for both of them!

Giselle: Veronika Part (ABT) 
Count Albrecht: Yevgeny Ivanchenko 
Hans: Ilya Kuznetsov 
Myrtha: Sofia Gumerova 
Classical duet: Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova and Alexei Popov

#21 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

The rest of the casting is finally out, poor Veronika has to dance opposite Ivanchenko's Albrecht! He shouldn't have any trouble with the lifts but Veronika will have to do all the acting for both of them!

Luckily she's gotten lots of practice in her years of Swan Lake with Cory Stearns...

#22 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

I believe he is considered one of best partners in company, and is unquestionably very experienced. He regularly dances with their leading ballerinas. He is not my favorite either, but they are hardly sticking her with a dud or someone whose partnering skills (whatever his dramatic ones) could be compared with Stearns'...

#23 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Clips have been posted on YouTube.

#24 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Clips have been posted on YouTube.

been somewhat preoccupied with other things the past 2 weeks...

signed on just now to alert you all to the YouTube clips...but as usual, Dale is on top of it!

#25 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

oh god, she looks gloriously gorgeous........Kevin dam it !! are you blind ?

Why do we have to go through this ordeal of  seeing dancers who are not ready taking on big roles, while gorgeous Veronika has to be doing matinees and stuck in the same roles for ever and ever, its so unfair and so distasteful. 

Congrats to Veronika, this is really fantastic !!

#26 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

She is stunning in these clips. I would have thought she would have been temperamentally more well-suited Act II, but I am incredibly impressed with what she brings to Act I. I think she could be the preeminent in-house Giselle at ABT, and it would be ludicrous for KM to not cast her in the role next year (presuming he sees this clips). I particularly love the way Part executes the heart palpitation scare, gorgeously bending her neck and longingly extending her arm to reach out to Albrecht. I was also completely taken by her mad scene (not posted above but available on Youtube). She made Giselle look like a total wreck with her out-of-control movements and genuinely messy hair (rather than perfectly pin-curled hair a la Vishneva). I'm usually so focused on Part's exquisite dancing that I forget she is one of the masters of effective, expressive miming. Her miming was so well-defined in the mad scene that I felt as if I could see her memories of Albrecht etched on her mind's eye. And, at the end of the mad scene, the way she jumps, seems to die midair and then falls into Albrecht's arms was perfectly executed. 

Oh, and one other really beautiful moment: I love the way she seems to become Act II Giselle, just for a second, when her mother mimes to her about her impending death. 

Brava, Veronika!

#27 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

She's a beautiful woman and and no complaints here and I enjoyed seeing her a few years ago as Nikiya at ABT, but since then I have become obsessed with the Vaganova/Mariinsky legato arms. And even though she was Vaganova trained and started at the Mariinsky, her arms seem very Americanized to me. There are traces of the flowing tendency at moments, but not always. There is more stiffness than what you see in Lopatkina or Tereshkina or many other Mariinsky dancers. That is a good thing for people who prefer less flowing arms. If I had not known she was a Russian trained at the Vaganova I would have assumed she is a very, very good American dancer. 

#28 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'm typically not a great big fan of Part: I do enjoy her work, but I just don't seem to be moved nearly to the extent as several on this forum.  And I've seen her in some of her best roles: O/O (twice), Nikiya, Lilac Fairy.  However, I love her in these Giselle clips, and oddly appreciate her more here than in some of her "typecast" roles.  I don't know if I believe her as a frail peasant, given how tall and beautiful she is, but she conveys the sensitivity of the role so well and she has tremendous mime, as fondoffouettes said.  Her mad scene is dramatic detailed and not overdone.  A standout moment during the mad scene was when Giselle begins laughing after Hilarion takes the sword.  The way she ran backwards as she laughed almost made it look like there was this invisible gust of wind shooting her upstage.  It was really spooky and not a moment I usually take note of in the mad scene. 

#29 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Can someone tell me what to put in the youtube search box to bring up Veronika's mad scene? The other clips look like they have Russian titles. When I search her name, Mariinsky Giselle I only get other dancers. Thanks! The clips downloaded here are simply delightful and moving. I've grown to be a huge fan of hers. I remember a number of years ago seeing her in La Sylphide and thinking she might not be suited for the impish sylmph but again she was simply delightful. I had no doubt she would be a superb Giselle, in both acts!

#30 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Veronika's Mad Scene:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):