This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Denis Nedak

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Does anyone know anything about him? The only thing I know is he's with Ukraine National Ballet.

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Does anyone know anything about him? The only thing I know is he's with Ukraine National Ballet.

I tried googling him (as I'm sure others have, too). He has been a guest in recent years as the prince in Swan Lake at the Slovak National Ballet (a company I saw many times in Bratislava and have recommended on this site), which is a plus for me. (Slovakia borders Ukraine in the east.)

I found an interesting YouTube clip of the Wedding PdD from Sleeping Beauty. I'm guessing that was a performance with the Ukraine Ballet, as his partner is one of their principals and the cyrillic alphabet in the title is used in Ukraine. (Slovakia uses the Roman alphabet.) I've often noted that these eastern European countries seem to have the classical arts in their bloodstream and should not be overlooked. (And while under the thumb of the Soviet Union, many of their teachers had opportunities to study there, as well.) The one thing I find odd in this clip: when he stands behind her to support pirouettes, he seems to plie very deeply and awkwardly, as if he's just too tall for her.

#3 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I don't know much. He graduated from the Odessa Ballet School in 2002 and worked at the opera house there until 2005. Since then he has danced with the National Ballet of Ukraine. On stage he is often paired with Natalia Matsak. His roles include James, Albrecht, Siegfried, Désiré, Solor, Jean de Brienne, Basilio and the Nutcracker Prince. I saw a telecast of Le Corsaire in which he played Conrad and liked him very much. Here is a small clip of him as John in Lorca Massine's Zorba the Greek

#4 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Mussel: could I ask why you're asking? I don't see him on the ABT guest list for the met. Is he guesting somewhere else in the U.S.?

#5 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

There is still no Solor for Gillian's Bayadere. Maybe, he is the one ?

#6 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

In that case these would be the relevant clips.

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

A different variety of turbaned exoticism.

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

McKenzie ususally tries to hire a well known dancer for a guest stint.  The fact that nobody on this board of intense ballet fans has ever heard of Nedak or seen him dance, although he has apparently been around for quite some time, suggests he's not a major, must-see talent.  However, there does seem to be an element of desperation at ABT to now fill in the spots for all the injured dancers.  Nedak looks pretty good in the You Tube clips posted above. 

Is everyone who dances Solor at the RB busy?  Their Bayadere has the same choreography as ABT's.  We shall see what happens.

#9 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Is everyone who dances Solor at the RB busy?

You mean like Matthew Golding? FIREdevil.gif

Incidentally, the National Ballet of Ukraine also dances the Makarova version, albeit with 32 Shades.

#10 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Is everyone who dances Solor at the RB busy?  Their Bayadere has the same choreography as ABT's.  We shall see what happens.

It looks like Golding (and just about everybody else at RB) will be very busy that week with a mixed bill: 

http://www.roh.org.u...eet-violets-dgv

(Note, BTW, that Osipova will be doing Serenade -- her debut?)

And a week later, Golding is partnering Osipova in The Dream (also debuts?): http://www.roh.org.uk/events/kqw8x

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

There are a lot of dancers out there doing stellar work.  Just because we haven't heard of them, doesn't mean that we're not missing great things through our ignorance or practical lack of access.

#12 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

(Note, BTW, that Osipova will be doing Serenade -- her debut?)

And a week later, Golding is partnering Osipova in The Dream (also debuts?): http://www.roh.org.uk/events/kqw8x

off%20topic.gif Osipova danced in the Bolshoi's premiere of Serenade in 2007.

The preview of the next episode of Blood, Sweat and Blisters on Dutch TV showed Golding in costume as Ashton's Oberon, though the clip implied that was injured and may have needed a replacement. Don't know yet how that worked out. I expect that for her it will be a debut.

#13 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

I asked because I am going to see him in one of the ballets in my upcoming European trip. I have no idea if he will guest for ABT, if he ends up on ABT guest list, it's purely a coincidence.

#14 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Coincidentally the rumor mill is at work.

#15 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

No bio yet, but the head shot is in place.

http://www.abt.org/d...p?Dancer_ID=340

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):