AOL On: Cityballet.comexecutive produced by Sarah Jessica Parker

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 sjmiller

sjmiller

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

I remember in one of the articles about the series (possibly the Wall Street Journal article) it was mentioned that because of contract issues they could not film the performances during the Fall season in the theater. 

I loved watching the series. And every Tuesday and Friday in November they will keep adding extra videos. For example, today a video was added with Sarah Jessica Parker interviewing Peter Martins. 

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

How come nobody on ABT's board can get ABT this much publicity?  So far we have had Leslie Stahl's piece on NYCB on 60 Minutes.  Now this project from SJP.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I don't know what piece it is with the diagonal white set piece, but a lot of the footage seemed to be of that and lots of Ashley Bouder and practicing "Swan Lake," with plenty of repeats. I didn't see much indication of any Balanchine or Robbins, but maybe that's because I can't "Name That Ballet" in three steps.

Ah, to think this makes the clips in "Breaking Pointe" seem extensive.

#19 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Looks like an effective recruiting tool for SAB really. But I'm seeing more similarities than differences between cityballet and Breaking Pointe. Fortunately we don't get angsty relationship sub-stories - focus stays mainly on life at the studios. But as others have pointed out, this isn't an opportunity to watch ballet performances.

#20 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Maybe a recruiting tool for dance in general... (could SAB even benefit from a recruiting tool? Isn't it already the most elite academy in the United States?)

The interview with Martins posted more recently is interesting. I didn't realize NYCB has commissioned more music than the Philharmonic and the Met combined!

#21 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Absolutely GONE on it. I'm watching the first episode again. Yes, dancers are ridden with anxiety and so full of hopes and fears about their immediate futures that if you ask them to tell you about it, they will, and you'll be sorry. Ask ME about my left hip and o my God will I tell you but you'll be sorry you asked. And how I made my port de bras so interesting? Dancers  are hella fun to be around, there's a unique sense of humor -- but they're not interesting to TALK to. But Lincoln Kirstein said that long ago, It can't be helped. The poor are always with you. 

But the show is fabulous. I don't get any sense of manufactured conflicts. Perhaps Amasar and Chase are not sucds as they seem to be -- maybe they're emphasizing such diversity as exists in the company -- on the other hand, ther hearts are in the right place. The guys who had to put up with shit because they wanted to dance are well-represented. I'd like to see somebody who is OPENLY gay, but maybe they'll get around to that. And -- though I'm gay and write for a gay paper -- I accept the fact that not all male dancers are gay, maybe not even these days MOST of them, since it HAS become a real job. I don't mind Andrew Veyette being married to a woman he seems to love -- in fact, I think they're adorable -- and it's also cool that he dances with someone who's more his own size and not his wife.

What I really love  is how well the material is presented -- jete battu in slow motion -- o my god they don't brush AT ALL -- they keep the sitz bone down, but there's barely contact of the TOE with the floor before the leg degages -- so THAT's the co-ordination [at least if you're in pointe shoes]. It's just so honest. And Peter comes across very well -- like Brigitte Lefebvre in the Wiseman documentary, he's plausible as the guy at the top -- "the dancers really cast themselves." I can see why they accept him as director -- I can see why Balanchine cast him as the new director, he sees who he's got and how they mature and what might be to come.... 

Those are my first thoughts. I'm GONE on it......

#22 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

Paul, as to whether dancers are interesting to talk to, I would say that they've expressed themselves extremely well.

Also, you used the phrase "their hearts are in the right place." That's what captivates me about everyone in the series. No matter what negatives they face, which someday hopefully will be resolved,

they're in love with creating beauty. 

#23 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

The guys who had to put up with shit because they wanted to dance are well-represented. I'd like to see somebody who is OPENLY gay, but maybe they'll get around to that. 

I could have done without all the hoisting of the bro cups over the male-to-female ratio in ballet studios, though. (Episode 8: Male Dancers) 

And I'd like to see a same-sex couple. I realize that this is AOL ... but the demographic this series is targeting is commendably relaxed about same-sex marriage. (According to a March 2013 ABC / Washington Post poll, 81% of adults under 30 are in favor of same-sex marriage.) 

#24 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

The guys who had to put up with shit because they wanted to dance are well-represented. I'd like to see somebody who is OPENLY gay, but maybe they'll get around to that.

I could have done without all the hoisting of the bro cups over the male-to-female ratio in ballet studios, though. (Episode 8: Male Dancers) 

And I'd like to see a same-sex couple. I realize that this is AOL ... but the demographic this series is targeting is commendably relaxed about same-sex marriage. (According to a March 2013 ABC / Washington Post poll, 81% of adults under 30 are in favor of same-sex marriage.) 

Yes, Kathleen.  My non-dance friends can't believe that the ballet world seems to be so obsessed with heterosexuality. Sometimes I can't, either. 

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Word.

#26 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Yes, Kathleen.  My non-dance friends can't believe that the ballet world seems to be so obsessed with heterosexuality. Sometimes I can't, either. 

They were mostly talking about their experiences as kids, though. I think it’s only natural that adolescents, engaged in identity formation, would want their friends and peers not to mistake their sexuality, and to think that, in the dating department, they're doing well.

#27 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ah, but how refreshing it might have been to hear a male dancer say something like "Yeah, when I was a kid I was worried that my classmates might think I was gay. But guess what: its OK to be gay! That's what I learned in ballet class." I'm mostly peeved with the production team for going after the wrong part of the stereotype. 

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

What's interesting is that the sexual orientation of the male dancer talking about working with so many beautiful women in a disproportionate ratio isn't specifically relevant; while the bro cups' to whom he's speaking is.

What's always been interesting to me is the number of male dancers who got no respect from their high school peers until they told them they got paid, and given the number of student roles in their rep -- Nurcracker, Harlequinade, Sleeping Beauty, Midsummer, Mozartiana, etc. -- there are chances to be paid -- and for boys especially in smaller schools with few boys, even more -- however little the amount, quite young. And the boys/guys don't even have to put that money right back into toe shoes.

Money still talks.

#29 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

going after the wrong part of the stereotype. 

The right part of the stereotype is?? 

#30 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Ah, but how refreshing it might have been to hear a male dancer say something like "Yeah, when I was a kid I was worried that my classmates might think I was gay. But guess what: its OK to be gay! That's what I learned in ballet class." I'm mostly peeved with the production team for going after the wrong part of the stereotype. 

Refreshing, but maybe a little didactic at the same time, since most people choosing to watch the show have probably already learned that for themselves. Better perhaps if they’d felt free not to touch on the stereotype at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):