This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB Spring 2012 Season

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#46 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

That should be a lesson to NYCB as to the consequences when you alienate your core audience. I started receiving discount offers for this back in March, so they have realized for a number of weeks that this was going to be a box office bomb.

How did Ocean's Kingdom sell after its initial run? It would be nice if they saw that bringing in rock stars and their designer daughters isn't the way to sell a lot of tickets either. But I may be dreaming.

#47 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Selling tickets for a weak full length ballet is much more difficult than selling tickets for a weak one act ballet, because you can always put one or two great ballets on the same program. For example, the only way you could see Vienna Waltzes for the last two seasons was to also see the deadly Seven Deadly Sins on the same program.

#48 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Selling tickets for a weak full length ballet is much more difficult than selling tickets for a weak one act ballet, because you can always put one or two great ballets on the same program. For example, the only way you could see Vienna Waltzes for the last two seasons was to also see the deadly Seven Deadly Sins on the same program.

Oh, thanks, I forgot Ocean's Kingdom was a one-acter.

#49 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

I saw "Double Feature" several times when it first opened and enjoyed much about it: the historical references, the costumes, hair, mime, story, moving sets, characterizations, and more. I even loved to "hate" Kyra Nichols as the original mean mom in "Blue Necklace." Also, there was that unbeatable point when Ashley Bouder bounded out from behind the couch in her teen-aged incarnation: it was a true "star is born" moment, and it stuck. What I particularly LOVED about it was Tom Gold in "Makin' Whoopie" and I was hoping they'd get him back as a guest artist for this run.... but no such luck. He was such a perfect Buster Keaton that it brought it all up a few notches. And don't forget Damian Woetzel as THE perfect matinee idol, and the mobs of brides in part II. And of course, the Boston Terrier was a perfect match up. I miss that particular pup. I just let myself "go" totally with the corn and silliness and loved it.

#50 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I saw Double Feature this weekend though of course not with the original cast and quite enjoyed it myself though I have conflicting feelings about performing non-human animals. I also thought the dancers were great. And Tyler Peck's double fouettés can compete with anyone's--and I do mean anyone's! I wouldn't make a special trip to NY to see Double Feature again (and had not come to NY especially to see it) but I'm glad I did see it.

#51 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I saw Midsummer Night's Dream on Tues and Wed evenings. Titania is one of Maria K.'s best roles, and she was captivating on Tues. Her long legs and forever extensions are perfect for Titania. She also has a great sense of comic timing. I liked Reichlin in the same role,but not nearly as much as Maria. DeLuz showed off his incredible technique, speed and elevation as Oberon. Garcia, in my opinion, is not a virtuoso dancer, and his Oberon looked effortful and too small in scale. Reichlin (on Tues) and Scheller (on Wed) were both excellent Hypolitas. I'm not sure why Ulbricht has not been cast as Oberon, but I certainly enjoyed him as Puck. The star crossed lovers in both performances were wonderful. I especially liked R. Krohn's long lines and expansive sweep.

Wendy Whelan, w. Jared Angle as her partner, was sublime and ethereal in the Act II divert. She had a few shaky moments in the most technically demanding passages, but they were very minor. I had not seen her do the role for a number of years, so I had my worries going in as to whether she could still do this role. My worries were unfounded. Whelan has been very smart in choosing her roles. The audience's response at the end of the pdd was rapturous. Wendy is a treasure. Megan Fairchild and S. Marcovici are, in my opinion, miscast as the leads in the Act II divert. (on Wed.)

The little kids on stage were delightful.

#52 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Just saw Tiler Peck's debut in the Act II Divertissement of Misdsummer Night's Dream. Stop whatever you are doing and buy a ticket RIGHT NOW for the Sunday matinee, when she's scheduled to dance it again. She was glorious.

#53 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

I just saw tonight's MNSD. I'd add: STOP DOING WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW and buy a ticket for this revival. It's the best I've seen the NYCB dance this in years. Absolutely amazing work, from Maria K. to Tiler Peck to the SAB students. Magical.

#54 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Just saw Tiler Peck's debut in the Act II Divertissement of Misdsummer Night's Dream. Stop whatever you are doing and buy a ticket RIGHT NOW for the Sunday matinee, when she's scheduled to dance it again. She was glorious.

Just adding my agreement. This Divertissement pas is IMO a great work, and as stated, Tiler Peck was glorious. If you can get a ticket go. The atrium was selling half priced tickets for the rear of the 4th ring for tonight's performance, in case anyone is interested.

#55 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I went to this afternoon's performance as well, and in my opinion it didn't have the magic of last night's performance. Reichlen doesn't have Maria K.'s comic timing or voluptuous persona -- her Titania is strangely reserved. The lovers were better this afternoon -- Sterling Hyltin and Rebecca Krohn both standouts as Hermia and Helena. The second act divertissement pdd had Megan Fairchild and Sebastian Marcovici and I agree they were somewhat miscast. Garcia as Oberon I found to be a pleasant surprise, and Adam Hendrickson was terrific as Puck.

#56 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Did Kathryn Morgan and Chase Finlay dance on Fri and Sat evenings? How were they?

#57 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Did Kathryn Morgan and Chase Finlay dance on Fri and Sat evenings? How were they?

Abi Stafford replaced Kathryn Morgan. (This change had been posted in the lobby earlier in the run.)

#58 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

[

Tiler and Tyler were magnificent in the Act II divert. on Sunday. An excellent way to end the NYCB season. TIler Peck is, in many ways, the most versatile principal at ABT. She can easily perform both adagio and allegro, and she is great in both. That's a rare talent, I think. She reminds me of Kyra Nichols in her lyricism and musicality.

#59 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

Just curious...the last few years, the season has ended with a "Dancer's Choice" program on that last evening with proceeds going to a Dancers' Emergency Fund. Did that happen this year? If not, why was it discontinued?

#60 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

There was no Dancer's Choice program this year. I don't know why it was discontinued.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):