It's not August yet...

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

Most of us, I know, love Jewels as it is.

But if we WERE to add a Sapphires section, lots of real questions pop up.

I have no idea what qualities are suggested (real or symbolic) by "sapphire," which means I have no idea of what tone, feeling, or style would the dancing have to convey? Speed and energy? Adagio or even langour? Wit/ Outright comedy? Gravity? Sexuality? Serenity? Sturm un drang? Posted Image

Other questions come to mind: Whose music? Which choreographer? Which dancers?

#18 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Beyond the grave? In honor of the inspiration we could have a po-mo mash-up of Balanchine knock-offs... If carefull done, it could be an interesting commemtary about just how hard it is to do well.

#19 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Good points, Amy. I'm still interested, however, in what "sapphire" connotes to people. We can all relate to "diamond" and its emotional symbolism. But sapphire?

I guess I'm thinking here more about speculation or even fantasy, not necessarily serious plans for the creation of a new work for NYCB, or reasons why not to do one. Posted Image

Violin Concerto, did that Harvard Theater Library exhibit give us an clear idea of what was originally planned, at least in terms of look?

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

According to both Melissa Hayden and Arthur Mitchell, it was going to be made for them.

I've only seen them on film, and I know that Melissa Hayden was very technical, but also had some very dramatic roles. What would their gifts suggest?

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

According to both Melissa Hayden and Arthur Mitchell, it was going to be made for them.

I've only seen them on film, and I know that Melissa Hayden was very technical, but also had some very dramatic roles. What would their gifts suggest?

Good question, Helene. Balanchine must have had a reason for this particular casting, and that may give us an idea about what Sapphire might have looked like.

I don't recall ever seeing Hayden and Mitchell dance as partners, though they were from time to time in the same works (Agon; Midsummer Night's Dream). Mitchell suggests a certain natural elegance, but he could take on the power of a panther if called for. He could dance like a hoofer (Slaughter) and a had a gift for comedy (as in, Puck). I don't associate these particular qualities with Hayden, though this may be unfair.. Mitchell did dance Othello, not the Limon, but his Desdemona was Mimi Paul. Paul could do vulnerable, which was not Hayden's strength..

For Mitchell and Hayden, I would think "romance" would be out. It was okay in those days to do an interracial Othello because that was what Shakespeare tells us to do. Posted Image Agon pas de deux (Mitchella and Adams) is sensual but quirky -- not romantic. Both Mitchell and Hayden could do sensual and quirky. Also, both -- as was typical of the company in those days -- danced full-out and with a clear love of whatever they were performing.

Rubies makes us think of "flash." Emeralds carries associations of under-water. Perhaps Sapphire (the blue version) suggests the firmament? Flying? Something ethereal?

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hayden did a wonderful job as in "Stars and Stripes" playing it straight; understanding that this would make it most effective suggests she knows something about comedy. Plus, as far as I know, it was a role made for her alone, not one she inherited or which was envisioned for someone else, because another dancer, usually Diana Adams, couldn't perform.

With Hayden and Mitchell in mind, I love the idea of flying, but more like Icarus and not at all ethereal.

#23 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I can see the sapphires representing a clear night sky.

#24 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Good points, Amy. I'm still interested, however, in what "sapphire" connotes to people. We can all relate to "diamond" and its emotional symbolism. But sapphire? I guess I'm thinking here more about speculation or even fantasy, not necessarily serious plans for the creation of a new work for NYCB, or reasons why not to do one. Posted Image Violin Concerto, did that Harvard Theater Library exhibit give us an clear idea of what was originally planned, at least in terms of look?

I am looking for my notes, but I do remember at the end of the exhibit, at least one small mock-up of a set. Will keep looking.

#25 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

So far no luck locating notes, but the Library says they have a searchable database..... I didn't find anything searching for Sapphires + Balanchine.... but I shall continue the search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):