• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Besides Vishneva, the only other current Mariinsky ladies who have danced the title role of this ballet are Osmolkina and Pavlenko (or at least Pavlenko was cast a couple of times last year but I have yet to see photos, films, critiques).

There is a tape of Pavlenko dancing the pas de deux on youtube.

I know Mariinsky casting is unreliable (at least on tour) but can Washingtonians tell me from past tours if they can be expected to make any announcements before tickets go on sale (early August according to website)? Thanks--

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for info on Pavlenko, Drew. Yes, casting is normally posted on the KC web a week or so before tix go on sale.

Here is, IMO, the best solo I've ever seen by Alina Somova. In other words, she may be perfect for the Ratmansky Cinderella:

Irina Golub's bio indicates that she, too, has danced the title role in Cinderella. With Vishneva indicating that she won't be coming to DC, the remaining MT dancers who've danced the role are Somova, Golub, Pavlenko and Osmolkina. I would not rule-out that one other, perhaps Oksana Skorik, is being prepared for this tour. (The MT has, in the past, used tours to 'debut' a dancer in a starring role, e.g., Somova's Juliet in London.)

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

This one looks like a pass for me, especially since I have already made two trips to DC in 2012 (January for the Mariinsky triple bill, June for Bolshoi's Coppelia). The decision for me may ultimately turn on what ABT decides to perform at City Center here in New York, as their engagement occurs during the same week as the Mariinsky DC engagement. Hopefully, ABT will not pull the same stunt as last season of selecting only works that do not require an orchestra.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Same here, Abatt. If the ABT rep is good, I may actually go to NYC. Ratmansky's Cinderella is not my cup of tea; saw it at the Petersburg premiere and twice when if last came to DC five years ago. That was enough. Even if it were Anna Pavlova in the title role, I could not bear it anymore.

[Edited to cancel request for a specific YouTube link. Got a PM from a friend.]

#20 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I was thinking Shirinkina would be a 'natural' Cinderella type...but I guess it's a long shot to hope she would be cast.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Indeed, Drew. Shirinkina and/or Skorik would be the top candidates to debut Cinderella on tour, if anybody debuts the role in Edinburgh or DC.

The incredible thing is that the ballet has already been packed and shipped overseas; it isn't scheduled to return to the repertoire back home until January 2013. Somova's debut in April was in the one-and-only performance of the ballet at home since the start of the current season.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

Shirinkina has not yet debuted as Cinderella but it may happen on the upcoming tours (Edinburgh and DC). Perhaps we have a small clue that this might happen in DC, as Shirinkina will be dancing at a gala in NYC during the same time of the US tour?

I guess we'll all have to watch this space: http://www.ardani.co...s-mariinsky.php

And this: www.kennedy-center.org

#23 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Any word on casting? Tickets go on sale for KC members on Monday.

#24 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

[size=4]Casting has been posted. Thought I'd give this a pass, but the opening night cast (Shirinkina, Shklyarov, and Kondaurova) is tempting.

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
Tue., Oct. 16 at 7:30 p.m.
Cinderella: Maria Shirinkina
The Prince: Vladimir Shklyarov
Stepmother: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Oct. 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Cinderella: Ekaterina Osmolkina
The Prince: Igor Kolb
Stepmother: Alexandra Iosifidi

Thu., Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Cinderella: Alina Somova
The Prince: Alexander Sergeyev
Stepmother: Sofia Gumerova

Fri., Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m.
Cinderella: Maria Shirinkina
The Prince: Maxim Zyuzin
Stepmother: Alexandra Iosifidi

Sat., Oct. 20 at 1:30 p.m.
Stepmother: Sofia Gumerova

Sat., Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m.
Cinderella: Alina Somova
The Prince: Alexander Sergeyev
Stepmother: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Sun., Oct. 21 at 1:30 p.m.
Stepmother: Sofia Gumerova[/size]

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

I think Osmolkina would be lovely in it, too.

#26 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

[size=4]Casting has been posted. Thought I'd give this a pass, but the opening night cast (Shirinkina, Shklyarov, and Kondaurova) is tempting. [/size]

After seeing Shirinkina falling off balances, falling just falling, and not performing at Soloist level (when i went to indulge in watching Mariinsky ballets in St. Pete in April), I would STAY AWAY from seeing her in the principal roles (she's a good dancer, but not for the principal roles - however, we can't change Mr. Fateev "affectionate glasses" through which he sees Skorik & Shirinkina - alas....)
If i go - my favorite cast would be Osmolkina (a very very very refined dancer (hope she fully recovers from her foot injury in spring), Sergeev and Gumerova. Seeing Kolb and Kondaurova will be very tempting too.

#27 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Osmolkina is coming on the fall tour and we don't get to see her Swan Lake? (Has the Mariinsky actually let her do Swan Lake at home yet? That may be the better question)

#28 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Regarding Kondaurova, how much dancing does the Stepmother have in this production? Is it mostly a character role? Does the stepmother have pointe work?

#29 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Regarding Kondaurova, how much dancing does the Stepmother have in this production? Is it mostly a character role? Does the stepmother have pointe work?

If you search YouTube for "Ratmansky Cinderella" you will find some clips. The stepmother does seem to have an interesting (and difficult) variation in the ball room scene. I can't find the exact clip I watched. However, the choreography does look pretty modern almost like a spoof of classical ballet (at least the step sisters and stepmother dances) but I think it might work if you know that going into the show. I have sampled online and aspects of it are enjoyable.

#30 alexaa1a

alexaa1a

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

[size=4]Casting has been posted. Thought I'd give this a pass, but the opening night cast (Shirinkina, Shklyarov, and Kondaurova) is tempting. [/size]

After seeing Shirinkina falling off balances, falling just falling, and not performing at Soloist level (when i went to indulge in watching Mariinsky ballets in St. Pete in April), I would STAY AWAY from seeing her in the principal roles (she's a good dancer, but not for the principal roles - however, we can't change Mr. Fateev "affectionate glasses" through which he sees Skorik & Shirinkina - alas....)
If i go - my favorite cast would be Osmolkina (a very very very refined dancer (hope she fully recovers from her foot injury in spring), Sergeev and Gumerova. Seeing Kolb and Kondaurova will be very tempting too.

Shirinkina only performed the final movement in Symphony in C on the final night gala of the International Mariinsky festival on April 1 plus on April 29 there was a gala for students where she danced the Vainonen Nutcracker pas with Fillip Stepin and she had no problems with balance.
I would like you to clarify what you saw her dance in April since she danced one movement at the beginning and one pas at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):