NYCB at Atrium Discount CounterWhere do they get the original ticket prices?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

One night last week I had a $31 Orchestra seat - I know of at least 3 student ticket holders in Row A.
$149.00 seats sold for $15.00 - cellphones lit, jeans and sneakers propped up on the orchestra pit wall.
This is their target audience? These are not SAB students. At what point in time do they think these people
will pay $149.00? The website shows Student tickets available for every performance this week.

NYCB pricing scheme is clearly out of hand, but the availability of student tickets, in general, should be supported rather than denigrated. "These people" will perhaps pay $149 when they become professionals and can afford paying more. I make use of student discounts all the time and I don't feel guilty about it--I make a pittance teaching and can't afford going regularly to the ballet otherwise. Student tickets fill in spots that have holes in the audience--so when a person with prime orchestra seats donates their tickets at the last minute, they feed those into student rush availability if they cannot be sold. Perhaps you didn't like these students, but NYCB has to do something to fill seats in the house, and I'm sure they did it (and others do it--do you have similar issues with ABT's $29 orchestra seat package for under 30s?) even before they drove away a lot of their audience this season.

I don't begrudge student tickets. I don't think anyone does. The main objection I have is the lack of clarity. Do what ABT does, do what the Met Opera does - sell back of orchestra or other designated seats to younger people & make them available same day. My problem is that as a normal ticket buyer the whole thing has become more difficult.

No one should feel guilty about discounted tickets. I wouldn't be able to go to the ballet as often as I do without discount tickets. The problem is the confusion about what seating is for sale. As I've stated earlier I bought tickets at the atrium for a performance of Jewels last Sat. Great seats, great performance - loved it, but I was surrounded by SAB students who had obviously been given comps. I had a great experience and I'm sure they did, but I didn't get it.

#17 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

Please don't misunderstand. I have no objection to Student Rush programs.
They provide a great opportunity and it's important for theaters and museums
to attract new patrons.
The point is there were never so many unsold seats in prime front and center
areas of the theater. Most of these seats were long gone well before their
performance date. People are not going because the prices are too high and
because of the bait and switch tactics of the sales office. They are using the
same logic as the folks who set airline ticket prices. Saying that certain
seating is "Not Available" is not the same thing as "Sold Out."

I wonder what Jerry's 26 ballerinas thought as they looked out at all those
empty seats. It's very sad.

#18 ivanov

ivanov

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I wonder what Jerry's 26 ballerinas thought as they looked out at all those empty seats. It's very sad.

I am a member of "Society NYCB" (the successor to the Fourth Ring Society) and on September 30th I called the box office to ask if there were discounted tickets available for that night. I wanted to see the 26 ballerinas. "Yes--they are available--let's see--3rd ring--no--4th ring--no--no, there are no tickets," I was told. After thinking hard about buying a ticket at full price, in the end I decided to stay home. (Thanks to Facebook and to rg for posting pictures, btw.) I'm sorry to hear the ballerinas were looking out at empty seats! I would have liked to be in one of them...

#19 flipsy

flipsy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I've been organizing family excursions to NYCB's Nutcracker since the 1960s. We usually sit in the third ring, and up to now it's been an affordable family treat. Imagine my surprise yesterday when the guy at the box office told me the only available third-ring seats for this Friday 12/2 would be $112! I wound up taking two in the fourth ring, row D, for $91 each. But it looks like the David H. Koch Theater is no place for middle-class family excursions.
That's a shame, because Kirstein and Balanchine, Morton Baum and even Nelson Rockefeller had a definite vision for Lincoln Center as a place where fine arts would be available to the masses, at least the middle-class masses. It paid off in the ballet boom of the 20th century, and the countless kids who decided to try ballet after their parents took them to see the Nutcracker.
What do you suppose the effect will be of pricing them out of the theater?

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

Sorry if I'm late to the game...but I just bought single tix for a couple of spring /early summer performances. So are the 3rd and 4th rings now closed during regular rep days? 2nd Ring was as far up (& as cheap) as I could get. Yikes - no wonder everyone is so upset.

EDITED TO ADD: I've just read the long "NYC Prices" thread from the late-summer and found out about the closure of the 3rd & 4th Rings. This is ridiculous. On past trips, most recently this June, the 4th Ring was packed. So now someone has the brilliant idea to fill-up the more expensive sections by shutting-down the cheaper sections altogether? That's it for me. My planned 'Megabus trip' in May 2012 will be the last one. NYCB can add a bronze plaque stating "Members Only" to its entrance. My energy and time are better spent following ballet companies that are more inclusive and wish to add fans around the globe: the Bolshoi and the POB -- who all of us can see more often via their generous cinemas and DVD-release policies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):