This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

UPGRADE COMPLETE -- But Customizations Coming

The technical upgrade is complete, but I've found that a lot of things have changed to the "skins" and maybe the settings. The default look is a lot different. It's cleaner and a better format for the iPhone version, now available to iPhone users.

It will take a while for me to find all of the things that have been customized in the new code apart from the design, and you'll be seeing those changes gradually as I find them. Just so you know:

1. The "friends" feature will eventually disappear.

2. Photo avatars will not be supported.

I didn't realize quite how extensive the changes would be, and I'll be working on learning to read and follow the new code. The design, though, is the least priority.

Some terminology differences:

1. "Watch this topic" is the old "Subscribe to this topic".

2. "Recently added topics" is a subset of "View new topics" results, displayed at all times. Underneath that is the list of subscribed forums or topics, if the "Topics" tab is clicked.

3. "View new content" = "View new topics"

4. "Search" is no longer a link, but a permanent edit box to the right.

5. All of the little icons on posts that confused everyone are now text: "Multiquote", "Edit", "Reply", etc.

Some functionality differences:

1. If you're subscribed to a topic (i.e. "watching" it), you can "unsubscribe" by clicking the "Stop watching topic" button at the top right of the page.

2. The default for "edit" is "Quick Edit" -- there's a button to "Use Full Editor" if you want more features.

3. The default for "post options" -- signature checkbox, enable emoticons, and post icons (not emoticons in the post) -- is "closed"; to open, click the green "+" or the "click..." text. There is no re-close option.

wow, what a job Helene!!!!!

Seconded. Thanks for all your hard work maintaining and improving this site for the benefit of all of us.

Third-ed (is that a term?). Thank you so much, Helene. It's a little hard to let the old, familiar look and terminology go. As Cristian says, it's a bit like "moving into a new apartment," but also like moving OUT of one that has become a kind of home.

This new look, however, is smashing. :wink::clapping: :clapping:

It's just temporarily frustrating until I figure out the paradigm. But IPS did all of the work so far. They had a lot of feedback from their customers, did the usability, and they changed the design to make it feel less dated.

The home page means more scrolling, though, because of the two info boxes (subscribed threads and new threads) to the right that take up horizontal real estate. It looks optimized for iDevices, though, where scrolling is the flick of a thumb!

Very relaxing interface. Good work!

I feel I need to wander around the grounds and get reacquainted with it. How do we get the iphone app? What does it do? Make BalletTalk available in an iphone friendly format? If so, that sounds lovely.

Thanks for this lovely work!

Really, really amazing. My compliments, admiration, (envy) and awe.

I'll pass on the compliments to IPS, our host provider. I think they've done a wonderful job with this release. There are some things I'll have to find -- like the old User CP/My Controls -- and when I do, I'll post about them, but for now, the blogs should be back.

Please let me know if you have trouble reading them. Senior Members can create their own blogs, but so far, we've got two great ones:

atm711: Ruminations

Hans: Details

How do we get the iphone app? What does it do? Make BalletTalk available in an iphone friendly format

When I used the standard URL in my iPhone, it automatically brought up the board in an iPhone-friendly format.

www.ballettalk.invisionzone.com

To the right of "Ballet Talk" is a light blue button. When you tap it, there's a drop-down menu, and it's big enough that you don't necessarily have to pinch the screen to make each entry bigger to select it. The options are:

Sign Out ([username])

Messenger (IM's)

Members (Members list, for people who are Members with 10+ posts)

Blogs -- which is only bringing up "Add Entry", and I suspect is for posting to a blog, not for reading it.

New Content -- old "View New Posts"

Status Updates -- haven't figured this one out yet.

There is an IP.Board application which I've just downloaded. It adds an app to the iPhone that allows you to list all of the IP.Boards. If you've want to aggregate all of the links to IP.Boards, like Ballet Talk, Ballet Talk for Dancers (once they upgrade), and any other boards, you can add them to your IP.Board "Community", instead of having individual icons for each board. You also can park your username and passwords in the app, so that you don't have to keep signing in.

Where is the link for Ballet Talk for Dancers?

It will be back when I figure out how to add it. That and "Contact Us". And the amazon.com search box.

BT4D is still running under the old version. We'll upgrade them once we figure out all of the wrinkles.

(This is why we couldn't keep the board closed until I figured it out -- you'd be a grandfather by then :))

Leonid, your interests are on your profile page (which you can access to edit by clicking on your name). Helene may customize the board so these don't show (I don't know what she has in mind), but if not, you can delete them from your profile.

In the meantime, if you don't want them to show but may want to reincorporate them into your profile, you might choose to copy and paste them as a text document on your hard drive to add them back to your profile page at a later date.

Unfortunately, I don't know yet how to remove things from the profile next to the posts. I thought I removed it from the profile that appears when you click on a name, but that doesn't seem to affect the post profile. These templates are a lot different than the last batch, and I haven't deciphered them yet.

Leonid, your interests are on your profile page (which you can access to edit by clicking on your name). Helene may customize the board so these don't show (I don't know what she has in mind), but if not, you can delete them from your profile.

In the meantime, if you don't want them to show but may want to reincorporate them into your profile, you might choose to copy and paste them as a text document on your hard drive to add them back to your profile page at a later date.

Many thanks. I am happy for it to remain my personal profile, but it takes up so much room on the page when posting.

Thanks Helene. I understand that you have a task on your hands.

We've got the amazon.com box back, albeit askew. The header has been redefined not to include the logo, and I need to find the name of the section with the logo, so I can try to align it.

We also have links to Contact Us and Ballet Talk for Dancers.

I haven't been able to find the code or setting that drives the profile info next to the posts. If things start appearing and disappearing and/or looking askew, it's because I'm working a bit by trial and error. ("Ooops, that made the post box disappear, better change it back...")