• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

I freely admit, carbro, that Season Eight is turning into a pleasant surprise. After several subpar seasons (Six and Seven), I was at a low ebb with the show and the casting for this season didn't fill me with hope. But I am glad I tuned in out of habit the first few weeks because I'm really enjoying many of the celebrities -- Gilles, Melissa, Shawn, Lil' Kim, Ty and others. This is definitely shaping up to be the best season since Mel B's season.

#17 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Bottom Three: Holly/Dmitry, Steve-O/Lacey and Steve/Karina w/ Holly/Dmitry and Steve/Karina leaving.

Steve absolutely deserved to go. Regarding Holly vs. Steve-O, either one would have been a justified boot so I can't say Holly's elimination was a travesty. It was her time.

#18 dancewonder

dancewonder

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

I think a majority of the people on this season became celebrities by doing inappropriate things. I agree, this isn't a season worth watching.

#19 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Judges Scores from Week Five:

01 29pts Gilles/Cheryl (Paso Doble)
02 26pts Lil' Kim/Derek (Viennese Waltz)
02 26pts Shawn/Mark (Viennese Waltz)
04 25pts Melissa/Tony (Paso Doble)
05 23pts Chuck/Julianne (Viennese Waltz)
06 22pts David/Kym (Viennese Waltz)
07 21pts Ty/Chelsie (Paso Doble)
08 20pts Lawrence/Edyta (Paso Doble)
09 18pts Steve-O/Lacey (Viennese Waltz)

Thoughts:

1) Gilles and Cheryl were ON FIRE w/ their paso doble (and Gilles starting out w/ no shirt on certainly didn't cost them any votes.)

2) I never would have thought of Heart's "Barracuda" as paso doble music until I heard it tonight on this show. Oddly enough, it worked!

3) Tomorrow should be an interesting test of fan base strength. From here on in, pretty much everyone has some kind of fan following so I'm curious to see who winds up in the Bottom Two.

#20 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

The paso doble was very good for Gilles and Cheryl, but I'd vote to see their Agentine Tango a dozen more times! That was their best dance, and the best dance of this season. Wonderful choreography and great chemistry. I wonder what they'll do next.

#21 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Bottom Two: David/Kym and Lawrence/Edyta with David and Kym leaving.

It wasn't David's time to go but, truthfully, he and Kym weren't connecting with each other or the audience so it was only a matter of time before he left.

As for Lawrence, all those Giants fans out there saved him so he could dance another day!

#22 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Judges Scores from Week Six:

01 28pts Lil' Kim/Derek (jive)
02 27pts Melissa/Tony (rumba)
03 26pts Gilles/Cheryl (jive)
03 26pts Shawn/Mark (rumba)
05 23pts Chuck/Julianne (rumba)
06 22pts Lawrence/Edyta (jive)
07 18pts Ty/Chelsie (jive)
08 16pts Steve-O/Lacey (rumba)

#23 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Not a big fan of the show, but I saw a fragment out of curiosity to the "rumba" dance...and I left wondering not other than one question..."Where is the Rumba...?!" :thumbsup:

#24 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

Not a big fan of the show, but I saw a fragment out of curiosity to the "rumba" dance...and I left wondering not other than one question..."Where is the Rumba...?!" :)

Last night's show was one of the worst in a long time. You're right, cubanmiamiboy, the Rumba was missing, so was the Jive. Judge Len commented on that several times.... What we got instead was some sort of let's just be amusing choreography.

#25 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Last Two: [Tom Bergeron very specifically said that the Bottom Two wasn't necessarily a true Bottom Two.]

Steve-O/Lacey and Ty/Chelsie with Steve-O and Lacey leaving.

It was definitely Steve-O's time to go but I must say that he was a great contestant in terms of embracing the concept of the show and he did his public image a world of good in so doing.

#26 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Judges Scores from Week Seven:

01 29pts Melissa/Tony (Argentine tango)
02 28pts Shawn/Mark (cha cha cha)
03 27pts Chuck/Julianne (samba)
03 27pts Gilles/Cheryl (waltz)
05 26pts Lil'Kim/Derek (rumba)
06 24pts Ty/Chelsie (waltz)
07 21pts Lawrence/Edyta (waltz)

#27 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Not a big fan of the show, but I saw a fragment out of curiosity to the "rumba" dance...and I left wondering not other than one question..."Where is the Rumba...?!" :dunno:

Last night's show was one of the worst in a long time. You're right, cubanmiamiboy, the Rumba was missing, so was the Jive. Judge Len commented on that several times.... What we got instead was some sort of let's just be amusing choreography.

sz, my curiosity being on how did that got ever to be named Rumba, not having that much resemblance with the real thing...

If anything, this would be a more refined/stylized choreographed version of it...(right after reggaeton and before the salsa)

#28 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

>sz, my curiosity being on how did that got ever to be named
>Rumba, not having that much resemblance with the real thing...

On the TV show, the music was a Rhumba, and the flavor of the dance was a Rhumba, but very little of the steps, choreography, of the Rhumba style was ever present. Sexy, slow in feel, but there was none of motion/choreography usually associated with this dance. It's a favorite of mine! Takes months to learn -- just how to walk in a Rhumba!!!

The TV show just doesn't have the time to teach a dance style that well, so you're just getting a little taste of the more difficult ones.

#29 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Last Two: [Same old twaddle about the Bottom Two not necessarily being the Bottom Two.]

Lawrence/Edyta and Ty/Chelsie with Lawrence and Edyta leaving.

No big surprises here -- Lawrence was the worst dancer remaining.

Barring a miracle, Ty probably goes next week which sets up a very interesting dynamic for the Final Five. That's when we'll find out just how strong the individual fanbases are.

#30 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Judges Scores from Week Eight:

Individual Dances:
(Melissa was injured so the judges scored Melissa and Tony on their last filmed rehearsal.)

01 28pts Lil' Kim/Derek (paso doble)
02 27pts Gilles/Cheryl (lindy hop)
02 27pts Shawn/Mark (samba)
04 26pts Chuck/Julianne (cha cha cha)
05 24pts Ty/Chelsie (salsa)
06 46pts Melissa/Tony (jive)

Group Dances:
(Team Mambo -- Chuck/Julianne, Lacey (for Melissa)/Tony, Shawn/Mark. Group score based on Chuck/Julianne and Shawn/Mark.)
(Team Tango -- Gilles/Cheryl, Lil' Kim/Derek, Ty/Chelsie)

Team Tango -- 28pts
Team Mambo -- 25pts

Combined Totals:

01 56pts Lil' Kim/Derek
02 55pts Gilles/Cheryl
03 52pts Shawn/Mark
03 52pts Ty/Chelsie
05 51pts Chuck/Julianne
06 46pts Melissa/Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):