This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stars of the 21st Century

Early information about the Stars of the 21st Century gala:

SOLOMON TENCER ANNOUNCES THE CAST FOR THE 2008 'STARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY' FEBRUARY 11 AT THE

STATE THEATER/LINCOLN CENTER

"Stars of the 21st Century" returns to the State Theater/Lincoln Center for a Monday February 11th performance with artists from major companies around the world. Producer Solomon Tencer announces the cast for 2008:

American Ballet Theatre - David Hallberg

Berlin Opera Ballet - Ronald Savkovic, Shoko Nakamura

Bolshoi Ballet - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Bolshoi Ballet/Kiev Ballet - Denis Matvienko

Kiev Ballet - Anastasia Matvienko

Munich Ballet - Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre

New York City Ballet - Maria Kowroski

Paris Opera Ballet - Myriam Ould-Braham, Jeremie Belingard

Royal Ballet - Roberta Marquez

Vienna Opera Ballet - Daniil Simkin

Program t.b.a.

Bolshoi Ballet - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

and

Plenty to be excited about there! Well, I'm excited.... for the chance to see these fine dancers together in one evening!!

An update:

SOLOMON TENCER ANNOUNCES THE CAST FOR THE 2008 'STARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY' FEBRUARY 11 AT THE STATE THEATER/LINCOLN CENTER

Monday February 11, 7:30PM

State Theater/Lincoln Center

Tickets: $30-$150

Reservations: 212/721-6500

"Stars of the 21st Century" returns to the State Theater/Lincoln Center for a Monday, February 11th performance with principal artists from major ballet companies around the world - the Kirov Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, London's Royal Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Berlin Opera Ballet, Kiev Ballet, Munich Ballet, and Vienna Opera Ballet. "Stars of the 21st Century" is presented by producer Solomon Tencer in major theaters in Paris, Toronto, and New York, and features today'sballet stars in both contemporary works and beloved pas de deux from the classical repertory.

The cast for 2008:

Bolshoi Ballet - Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze

Bolshoi Ballet/Kiev Ballet Denis Matvienko

Kiev Ballet - Anastasia Matvienko

Paris Opera Ballet - Myriam Ould-Braham, Jeremie Belingard

The program, which is in the process of formation, will include

Tschaikovsky/Balanchine Pas de Deux, performed by David Hallberg and Maria Kowroski

Giselle Pas de Deux, Act II, Lunkina/Tsiskaridze

Lady of the Camillias (pas de deux from John Neuemier's ballet), performed by Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre

Tosca duet, performed by Ronald Savkovic and Shoko Nakamura.

any new information on this?

Their own website still seems to have Osipova and Vasiliev listed...

http://www.starsofthe21stcentury.com/stars...php?type=events

Good catch!!... especially for those of us who didn't want to buy tickets after reading on BT that Osipova and Vasiliev would not be performing...

If they are dancing, I'm running over to the box office today!

I just phoned Solomon Tencer (upon reading your post) to find out for sure. Nadia (Tencer -- AD of the gala) answered and said that Osipova and Vasiliev are definitely NOT coming. She also said that Shoko Nakamura is one to watch. She is dancing with Ronald Savkovic and is absolutely amazing.

Daniil is also looking very good!

I just phoned Solomon Tencer (upon reading your post) to find out for sure. Nadia answered and said that Osipova and Vasiliev are definitely NOT coming. She also said that Shoko Nakamura is one to watch. She is dancing with Ronald Savkovic and is absolutely amazing.

Daniil is also looking very good!

Marga, first of all, thanks so much for looking into this and getting out the correct info too all of us!

I'm still looking forward to it, though rather disappointed.

You might (since you seem to know them) suggest to them that it is nice to keep these things updated as not all of us have inside connections.

I know with so many performers at a gala the idea is that you'll get a good show no matter what, but for audiences who care about casting it really would be nice to have accurate information available (obviously there are often last minute emergency changes which are unavoidable, but this does not seem to be the case here). And it is hardly onerous to update a webpage with the correct casting.

Sorry if that sounds peevish, but if they are able to put up youtube clips advertising the event (also I believe with the incorrect casting, at least one of them), you'd think they could put up the current casting.

And I want a chance to see Osipova besides on youtube! :dunno:

Marga,

Thank you from me too -- for looking into this and getting the correct info.

If they can send out a press release, they certainly can spend five minutes

changing a couple of casting names on their website. Tisk. Tisk.

You might (since you seem to know them) suggest to them that it is nice to keep these things updated as not all of us have inside connections.

Sorry if that sounds peevish, but if they are able to put up youtube clips advertising the event (also I believe with the incorrect casting, at least one of them), you'd think they could put up the current casting.

Nadia and Solomon are not computer-literate themselves. They hire out to have the webpages made up. (I've even typed input for them). They do not have someone who comes in regularly to do updates. Presently, they are incredibly busy with the gala as well as preparing the annual school showcases for their two studios. They are very hands-on with the childrens' costumes: collecting costume deposits, deciding the design of each set of costumes, distributing them as they come in, and dealing with hundreds of parents (and their accompanying problems) -- all in addition to mounting the gala at Lincoln Center. As well, Nadia teaches several ballet classes a day, 7 days a week, holds rehearsals and coaches soloists for her student productions (this year, one of them is La Bayadère). The webpage is a back burner item, I'm afraid. As far as the youtube clips are concerned, I took a look, and saw only one which seems to have originated with them. I don't know who put it on youtube nor at who's request, but, again, they (Nadia and Solomon) had no hand in it, personally.

I understand your frustration, though!

As non-computer-literate people, they probably don't appreciate that the net has become, for most people, the preferred source for current info. In terms of bang-for-the-buck (are Canadian dollars called "bucks"?) it's a much more efficient communication medium than postcards.

.....the net has become, for most people, the preferred source for current info.

I agree, carbro. While Solomon is very proud of their website, it's meant more as documentation for supporters to see all they've accomplished than a tool for up-to-the-minute information. All I can do is relay the concerns of posters to them. In addition to receiving postcards and emails about the galas and ballets like Giselle and the Nutcracker with "superstar" guest artists, I usually get a phone call asking to publicize their productions on the ballet forums. I do what I can, but walk a fine line because of forum rules. I am not considered an official source. I understand the need for the rule, but have to chuckle that the "official news" goes from the Tencers to the PR people, same as it's told to me (and others) by the Tencers when it happens, becoming "official" as turned by the wheels of public relations administrators.

(Canadian dollars are called bucks. However, the one and two dollar bills were both replaced by coins years ago and are almost always referred to as "loonies" and "toonies".)

Here's the program:

SOLOMON TENCER ANNOUNCES THE 2008 'STARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY' FEBRUARY 11 AT THE STATE THEATER/LINCOLN CENTER

Monday February 11, 7:30PM

State Theater/Lincoln Center

Tickets: $30-$150

Reservations: 212/721-6500

"Stars of the 21st Century" returns to the State Theater/Lincoln Center for a Monday, February 11th performance with principal artists from major ballet companies around the world - the Bolshoi Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, London's Royal Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Berlin Opera Ballet, Mikhailovsky Opera and Ballet Theatre, Munich Ballet, and Vienna Opera Ballet. "Stars of the 21st Century" is presented by producer Solomon Tencer in major theaters in Paris, Toronto, and New York, and features today's ballet stars in both contemporary works and beloved pas de deux from the classical repertory.

The cast for 2008:

Bolshoi Ballet - Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze

Mikhailovsky Opera & Anastasia and Denis Matvienko

Ballet Theatre, St. Petersburg

Paris Opera Ballet - Myriam Ould-Braham,

Emmanuel Thibault

PROGRAM

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux

Choreography: George Balanchine

Music: Tschaikovsky

Maria Kowroski, David Hallberg

Delibes Suite

Choreography: Jose Martinez

Music: Delibes

Myriam Ould-Braham, Emmanuel Thibault

Moorhuhn

Choreography: Dmitrij Simkin

Music: Mussorgsky

Daniil Simkin

Giselle, Act II Pas de Deux

Choreography: Coralli and Perrot

Music: Adolphe Adam

Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze

E Lucevan Le Stelle

Choreography: Ronald Savkovic

Music: Puccini (aria from "Tosca")

Tenor: Mihail Kotlyarov

Shoko Nakamura, Ronald Savkovic

Le Corsaire Pas de Deux

Choreography: Petipa

Music: Drigo

Anastasia and Denis Matvienko

The Lady of the Camellias, Act III Pas de Deux

Choreography: John Neumeier

Music: Chopin

Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre

Don Quixote Pas de Deux

Choreography: Petipa

Music: Minkus

Roberta Marquez, Daniil Simkin

La Sylphide Pas de Deux

Choreography: Bournonville

Music: Hermann Lovenskjold

Myriam Ould-Braham, Emmanuel Thibault

Les Bourgeois

Choreography: Ben Van Cauwenbergh

Music: Jacques Brel

Daniil Simkin

La Rose Malade

Choreography: Roland Petit

Music: Gustav Mahler

Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze

Transparente

Choreography: Ronald Savkovic

Music: Fado Portugues

Shoko Nakamura, Ronald Savkovic

Thais Pas de Deux

Choreography: Roland Petit

Music: Massenet

Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre

Diana & Acteon Pas de Deux

Choreography: Vaganova

Music: Pugni

Anastasia & Denis Matvienko

Defile

Choreography: Nadia Veselova Tencer

*Subject to change

The Stars of the 21st Century event in Toronto on October 14 is apparently expected to include, among others: Denis Matvienko/Anastasia Matvienko (Kirov), and Michail Kaniskin/Elisa Carillo Cabrera (Berlin).

Apart from the Stars of the 21st Century event, there seems to be a Nutcracker performance in Toronto involving certain Kirov dancers on December 18 and 19:

"Holiday PERFORMANCE OF THE NUTCRACKER

BALLET WITH THE STARS FROM KIROV

BALLET, ST. PETERSBURG

Winter Garden Theatre, Toronto

December 18 & 19, 2010"

Apart from the Stars of the 21st Century event, there seems to be a Nutcracker performance in Toronto involving certain Kirov dancers on December 18 and 19:

This is the yearly Nutcracker of the Academy of Ballet and Jazz, the school run by Solomon and Nadia Tencer. Every year the 2 or 3 principal dancers are from big-name companies, usually the Kirov, Bolshoi and ABT.

The roles danced by the stars are the older Masha, called "Princess" in the program (the equivalent of the Sugar Plum Fairy) and the "Prince". The third principal role(s) are the snowflake soloist and the waltz of the flowers soloist, which have sometimes been danced by luminaries such as Veronika Part.

Marcelo Gomes danced the Prince when he was only 20. Maxim Beloserkovsky, Dmitri Gudanov, and Carlos Lopez are a few others who have danced it. Svetlana Lunkina, Irina Dvorovenko, and Alina Somova have, among others, danced the "Princess".

This Nutcracker has been running for 15 years. The rest of the performers are chosen students of the Academy of Ballet and Jazz. The cast is quite large.