This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Ballets Russes" and dancers of the past

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

I know this isn't an excuse, but Les Sylphides is probably the dullest ballet in existence when you're in the corps.

#17 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

Probably one of those things where the corps has to just resign itself to enjoy listening the orchestra... to get that dreamy expression.... though how often one can listen to the same music and still feel dreamy...(?)

#18 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:31 AM

There was a softness to the gestures of the midcentury dancers which seems to have been translated into lifelessness today...

Since I saw most of the dancers in 'Ballets Russe' perform live, I have been pondering the phrase "singing with the body" and wondering if the physical stature of the dancers contributed to this. Dancers of the mid-century were shorter and heavier, Baronova's 'fighting weight' was 126 lbs. (compare that to, say, Wendy Whelan, or pick your dancer.)

#19 jonellew

jonellew

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

I think that "singing with the body" has perhaps been interpreted several ways already in this discussion, but I'd like to add that what struck me about the footage in the film was the dancers' musicality and a fluidity of movement. With this film, I began to appreciate elements of the dancers' technique that do not come across in still photographs (especially because standards of line and physique were different than they are today).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):