This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tatiana Terekhova on Video Recommendations

when i was putting together the videography for BALLET 101 in 1998 there were at least 5 videos w/ TT, the index of the book now indicates these.

i suspect other posters will add their personal comments about favorites but you can find a list of the tapes that were on the market as of '98 in the book's videography by following the pp. listed in the index.

when i was putting together the videography for BALLET 101 in 1998 there were at least 5 videos w/ TT, the index of the book now indicates these.

i suspect other posters will add their personal comments about  favorites but you can find a list of the tapes that were on the market as of '98 in the book's videography by following the pp. listed in the index.

rg,

Where do I find the book BALLET 101?

Thanks

You can find Ballet 101 at books stores such as Barnes and Noble or Borders (or click on our Amazon.com banner and order it online). The book is interesting for both newcomers to ballet and experts and the video section is very helpful (I'm always referring to it).

Re: Terekhova. I've always liked her as Kitri in Don Q. Nobody does this ballet like the Kirov and Terekhova's dancing is excellent.

http://www.kultur.com/AB2046000/showdetl.c...t_ID=5196&DID=6

Besides Tatiana Terekhova's fantastic Gamzatti in the 1977 Kirov video of

"La Bayadere", what other filmed performances of hers would everyone recommend?

Thanks!  :)

In addition to the Gamzatti and Kitri, Terekhova appears in several segments of the release titled Nina Ananiashvili and International Stars. On DVD, she's on vol ! and 2 .

She dances an almost frighteningly strong Black Swan pdd among other items spread out over the two discs.

Richard

I second the high comments for Terekhova's Kitri: she's marvelous in this video (it's also recently been released on DVD, by Kultur). The Dream Scene is particularly wonderful with not only Terekhova but Yulia Makalina and the corps de ballet providing stunning and very classical performances. Elsewhere, Terekhova is firecracker - very fun and very technically secure. The video also includes a bunch of other Kirov stars, like Altynai Asylmuratova and Basilio is Farouk Ruzimatov. This is a really really great video of Don Q, even if the videography isn't up to today's standards (good framing of the dancing though). Highly recommended.

In addition to her Kitri & Gamzatti her Myrtha is magnificent. You must see the Kirov's "Giselle" with Mezentseva & Zaklinsky (1983). The ensemble is excellent, Mezentseva not withstanding - (it depends on your taste in Giselles), and Selyutsky's aged Hilarion, acted as if he were Inpsector Clouseau choking on cotton, IMHO. Terekhova was a vampire Wili Queen - one long cold drink of revenge, with seamless bourrees, great elevation, sweeping power and total weightlessness. In both Acts, the corps is flawless. Finally there's the added bonus of the then 22 year old Asylmuratova's Moyna, whose presence in the corps, along with Terekhova, upstages Mezentseva.

i don't know what compilation it's on but there 's a Diana and Actaeon pas de deux with Sergei Berezhnoi out there that she's quite good in.

It's on the "Kirov, A Night of Classical Ballet"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...8479638-8228428

Terekhova was a vampire Wili Queen - one long cold drink of revenge, with seamless bourrees, great elevation, sweeping power and total weightlessness.

...and the landings! Oh... the landings! Look at how she lands! :blink:

The ensemble is excellent, Mezentseva not withstanding

If your taste is "old Kirov" don't be deterred. It's really difficult to explain to someone who does not get her, but Mezentseva is one of the great Giselles. I have noticed that Americans have a great trouble to appreciate her dancing, whereas most people who have grown up watching the Kirov understand her perfectly. It's a matter of different taste, cultivated by different viewing experiences.

Also on video there is an old Tv film of Shuraleh by the name of Lesnaja Skaska. I'm not sure it is easy to find in the west (I found a video file from a friend of a friend - PM me for more).

It was briefly mentioned here:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=18794

It is interesting despite the ABYSMAL production values if only because one might not have had the chance to watch this ballet.

The role is suited to Terekhova's qualities and she is quite good but, after watching a pdd excerpt with Plisetchkaya I must say that I prefer Plisetchkaya. Terekhova seemed slightly mannered and less involved in the character.

More Tatiana Terekhova on Film

Theres also, "The Magic of the Kirov" available from Kultur video, where Terekhova dances "Le Corsaire" pas de deux with Ruzimitov. This one was filmed in 1986 . Ruzimitov is young - he is exotic and flamboyant but not to much like he got later in life; here its JUST RIGHT! In his variation his tour jete in the coda gets a perfect split, also, his sequence of turns around the stage, along with double saut de basqeue are wonderfull. Terekhova is in prime in this pas. Her variation is FLAWLESS and I dont use that word lightly, I mean really, it is! in the adagio she has feet of steel and is effortless. In the coda her fouetees, beginning and ending with a double pirouette dont move at all from the place she started, and she balances perfectly in su su 5th after shes done. You know, as far as Im concerned, its the best Corsaire Pas Ive ever seen live or on film!

I have to agree with those who are fans of Terekhova's Myrtha....she the best I have ever seen on film or live. This pas (the Wilis in Giselle Act II) is ballet perfection, the corps is totoally flawless. In Don Q, Terekhova is awesome, with great style. And my own Favorite from this film is her "Garden of Dulcinea" variation. Again, the best I have ever seen live or otherwise. I have had this video since I was abou 14 and when I saw her dance this variation I could not believe it, she is so lovely in it!

Terekhova appears briefly in the famous documentary film about the Vaganova Academy, 'The Children of Theater Street.' She's the unnamed soloist seen practicing multiple fouettes on-a-dime.

Perhaps I have forgotten something, but I don't recall Terekhova doing fouettes in 'Children of Theatre Street.' Terekhova did do fouettes in 'Backstage at the Kirov.'