This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Appropriate Attire for Seeing the Ballet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Funny Face

Funny Face

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:46 PM

I think getting teens to dress up is like taking a guy to church. They'd love to do it -- but would rather have it seem it was YOUR idea.

I do remember those years as a teen, going to ballet performances (or anywhere, for that matter, that was out of my regular weekday routine). Bunheads LOVE to get dishy, are you kidding? (After a week of sweating in tights and t-shirts and warmers). Just going to a restaurant every Sun. night with my dance roommates in college was a thrill -- for us it meant being clean as a whistle and puting a blazer on with our jeans to "dress it up."

A little tradition makes everyone feel that things are right with the world. My bet is that these teens are waiting to take their cue from you. Just make sure you compliment them on how "good they clean up." Have a wonderful time.

#17 nlkflint

nlkflint

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:52 PM

I think getting teens to dress up is like taking a guy to church. They'd love to do it -- but would rather have it seem it was YOUR idea.

What a great statement. will have to remember that one. :grinning:

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 06:45 PM

I once actually saw a teenager take off his shoes, and rest his bare feet on the back of the seat in front of him.

At the Metropolitan Opera, no less!

Hey, you could see that in the Family Circle at the Old Met, and not just teenagers! It was a terrible shlep up to the Peanut Gallery. And you had a side entrance different from "society"!

Just as long as they didn't try to conduct with their toes, it was OK.

#19 cricket

cricket

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! My daughter is getting dressed up in a nice sweater & skirt (I'm still wearing pants though - snow flurries predicted tonight). She passed the word to the rest of the dancers to dress up a bit. We are all very excited about the show. There are 5 adults and 10 teen dancers going. Should make for some interesting Nut rehersals tomorrow as they are scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m. & we probably won't get back until after midnight. :sleeping: The AD of the company is going with us, though, so she should be understanding. :D

#20 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 06:45 AM

Mel, that was in the ORCHESTRA seats!!!! :wacko:

#21 sissonne

sissonne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 07:54 AM

Hi Cricket,
Sounds like you guys are going to be just fine. A nice sweater and trousers will be comfortable and still look appropriate for sure. I liked the suggestion of pearls as well, and a wrap. Speaking to that, I have a pair of gray wool flannel trousers and a black cashmere wrap sweater that I've worn to the Wortham here in Houston before and felt perfectly fine compared to everyone else. Add pearl necklace & earrings, plus a wrap and presto! changeo! you're ready for the ballet! You see everything here too...from jeans to ballgowns (I even saw someone in shorts and a T-shirt once, which I thought a little too dressed-down).

I agree with Floss that the glamed up jeans with a nice top and shoes would probably be OK, too. I've seen a lot of the Academy students here come to performances like that and looked absolutely fine.

I agree though, whatever you do wear, it's about the art. I think some people here are so worried about what to wear or not knowing anything about ballet that it intimidates them from attending. I have countless friends who would like to go, but always want me along as a chaperone! :wacko:

I'm sure you guys will have a wonderful time tonight!! Enjoy!

#22 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:55 AM

When I go to the ballet I just go in whatever I'm wearing - which is usually jeans, t-shirt and trainers. I don't do it on principle - I just tend to go straight from work and that's what I wear there. I think people look more ridiculous if they are in an evening gown or something. Anyway, people should be there to see the ballet, not to see what other people are wearing.

#23 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:36 PM

OK, cricket - we're all waiting to hear:

1. How you all felt about the performance?
2. And what the kids wore!!?!?!!??? :unsure:

I'm guessing that we'll hear back from you in a few days after you've fully recovered. :dry:

#24 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:28 PM

Cricket, if you have a chance tell us how everything worked out from attire to ballet. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):