This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In search of Villella's Prodigal

Marta

53 minutes ago, Marta said:

In discussing a performance of Villella's  in Prodigal Son, 1964 or 1965 with Boston Ballet, I went in search of a video clip of the ballet or any part of it.  Came up with absolutely nothing.  Has anyone seen such a cliip?

The recording with Baryshnikov is on YouTube: 

Quiggin said:

Added: Villella's Apollo, with its incredibly pure lines, is also available here and there (it's part of a television documentary on V). Might give an idea of what his Prodigal Son was like.

Will look for that Apollo! The two people having the discussion about Villella's Prodigal had both seen him dance it, one in mid-sixties, one in 1970.  We were marveling that it was so difficult to find even a one minute clip of Villella in the iconic jump .

2 hours ago, Josette said:

I am thrilled to see that very short clip of Villella.  I saw Villella as Albrecht when he danced in with a company at Royce Hall, UCLA, and have never forgotten it. 

He was a thrilling dancer!  I'd never seen his Apollo and enjoyed the film you linked to above.  Would love to have seen his Albrecht too.

Villella danced as a guest artist Prodigal Son with the National Ballet of Washington. I remember watching the dress rehearsal at Kennedy Center. I was in another ballet on the program so I had the good fortune to see him.  (Freddie Franklin-our beloved director) took the rehearsal. I always was impressed with Freddie - his total knowledge of the production. Villella  was  powerful, totally believable and in the last scene tremendously moving.  I had tears in my eyes. Even watching a short video clip, it is not the same as seeing it live. I also watched him from the wings- unforgettable.

We, or at least I, have become quite spoiled by the amount of vintage footage that's readily available, thanks to the internets.  Still can’t believe I can pull up Diana Adams and Arthur Mitchell in the Agon pas, or Suzanne Farrell and Balanchine in Don Q,  just like that.

John Clifford, may he live long and prosper, just put up a Pacific Northwest Ballet “Jewels” from 2006, which I think was the first year the company presented the entire ballet.

Of all Balanchine's ballets, Apollo seems to me to have the most potential for dead spots and empty transitions. Villella's had none, it was all structure. Everything he did had meaning, was taking him somewhere that was important. Yes, quite thrilling.

Beautifully said, Quiggin, thank you.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:36 AM, dirac said:

John Clifford, may he live long and prosper, just put up a Pacific Northwest Ballet “Jewels” from 2006, which I think was the first year the company presented the entire ballet.

It was.  The company had performed Rubies as a stand-alone under Russell and Stowell.  I think I saw PNB perform it one summer at Chateau Ste Michelle.

The dancers are Louise Nadeau (Verdy role), one of Peter Boal’s friends at SAB, and Christophe Marachal Maraval* Noelani Pantastico (Paul role) and Jeffrey Stanton, and Benjamin Griffiths, Rachel Foster (dark hair), and Jodie Thomas (light hair) in the pas de trios.  (Foster Thomas** later danced with Royal Danish Ballet.)

Edited to fix errors noted by sandik below *I didn't notice the spellcheck correction and **dumb mistake

On 9/25/2023 at 10:45 AM, Helene said:

It was.  The company had performed Rubies as a stand-alone under Russell and Stowell.  I think I saw PNB perform it one summer at Chateau Ste Michelle.

The dancers are Louise Nadeau (Verdy role), one of Peter Boal’s friends at SAB, and Christophe Marachal, Noelani Pantastico (Paul role) and Jeffrey Stanton, and Benjamin Griffiths, Rachel Foster (dark hair), and Jodie Thomas (light hair) in the pas de trios.  (Foster later danced with Royal Danish Ballet.)

Tiny typos -- Christophe Maraval, and it was Thomas that danced with the Danes, not Foster.