This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day 2023

The World Ballet Day site has broadcasts listed in chronological order and apparently adjusts to your time zone, both of which are super useful.

This is the schedule so far according to Eastern time.

31 October

6:00 - 7:30 pm: Royal New Zealand Ballet
7:30 - 10:30 pm: Australian Ballet
10:30 - 11:30 pm: Queensland Ballet
10:30 - 11:00 pm: Sydney Dance Company (Instagram)
10:40 pm - 12:00 am: National Ballet of Japan
11:00 pm - 1:00 am: West Australian Ballet

1 November

12:00 - 1:45 am: K-Ballet Tokyo
12:30 - 2:00 am: National Ballet of China
1:00 - 3:00 am: Singapore Ballet (Facebook)
4:00 - 4:45 am: Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan
4:00 - 4:30 am: Ballet de Barcelona (Vimeo)
5:00 - 6:30 am: Semperoper Ballett Dresden
5:00 - 6:30 am: Sibiu Ballet Theatre
5:00 - 6:00 am: Estonian National Ballet
5:00 - 6:00 am: Korean National Ballet
5:00 - 5:45 am: Bangkok City Ballet
5:30 - 6:00 am: Norwegian National Ballet (Vimeo)
5:55 - 7:00 am: Paris Opera Ballet
6:00 - 7:00 am: Cape Town City Ballet
6:00 - 6:40 am: Sofia National Ballet
6:00 - 6:30 am: Polish National Ballet
6:00 - 6:15 am: ISTD (Instagram)
6:30 - 6:45 am: Finnish National Ballet
6:30 - 6:45 am: Royal Swedish Ballet
7:00 am - 12:00 pm: Royal Ballet
7:00 - 9:30 am: Bavarian State Ballet (class); part 2 (rehearsal)
7:00 - 8:00 am: La Scala Ballet
7:00 - 7:30 am: Staatsballett Hannover (website)
7:15 - 8:00 am: RAD
8:00 - 10:00 am: Joburg Ballet
8:00 - 10:00 am: Ballet Indonesia
8:00 - 10:00 am: National Ballet of Ukraine
8:00 - 9:30 am: Stuttgart Ballet
8:00 - 9:00 am: English National Ballet
8:00 - 9:00 am: Hong Kong Ballet
8:30 - 11:00 am: Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo
9:00 am - 1:30 pm: Orlando Ballet (Facebook)
9:00 - 10:30 am: BalletX (Facebook)
9:30 - 11:30 am: [School of] Philadelphia Ballet
9:30 - 11:00 am: Washington Ballet (Instagram)
9:30 - 10:00 am: Northern Ballet (Royal Ballet stream)
9:45 am - 2:45 pm: Texas Ballet Theater
10:00 am - 5:00 pm: Ballet Arkansas
10:00 - 11:30 am: Miami City Ballet (Instagram)
10:00 - 10:45 am: Vienna State Ballet
10:00 - 10:15 am: Alonzo King Lines Ballet
10:00 - 11:15 am: Ballet West
10:30 am - 12:30 pm: Boston Ballet
10:30 am - 12:30 pm: National Ballet of Portugal
11:00 am - 12:00 pm: Dutch National Ballet
11:00 am - 12:00 pm: Istanbul State Ballet (Instagram)
11:00 - 11:15 am: Royal Danish Ballet
11:30 am - 12:30 pm: New Adventures
12:00 - 1:15 pm: Staatsballett Berlin
1:00 - 2:30 pm: Smuin Contemporary Ballet
1:00 - 1:15 pm: National Ballet of Canada
1:45 - 2:00 pm: Ballet BC
2:00 - 3:45 pm: Hungarian National Ballet
2:00 - 3:00 pm: Ballet Nacional de Cuba
2:00 - 3:00 pm: Ballet Concierto de Puerto Rico
2:30 - 5:30 pm: San Francisco Ballet
3:00 - 5:15 pm: American Ballet Theatre (class); part 2 (rehearsal); part 3 (studio co.)
3:00 - 3:30 pm: Pacific Northwest Ballet
3:30 - 6:30 pm: Acosta Danza (Facebook)
4:00 - 5:30 pm: Birmingham Royal Ballet; part 2
5:00 - 5:30 pm: Houston Ballet
5:30 - 7:00 pm: Kansas City Ballet
6:00 - 8:00 pm: São Paulo Dance Company
6:00 - 6:30 pm: Ailey II
7:00 - 7:45 pm: Les Grands Ballets Canadiens

Edited by volcanohunter

I don't yet see it on the main site, but the National Ballet of Ukraine is opening up the event to in-person visitors (much like what the Staatsballett Berlin does), as well as streaming online. Class on stage, rehearsals of The Forest Song, Spring and Fall and Five Tangos, plus online appearances from Alexei Ratmansky, Nina Ananiashvili, Vladimir Malakhov, Alexandre Riabko and Alexander Zhembrovskyy. Starting at 14:00 EET/8:00 am Eastern, absence of air-raid sirens permitting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy3tnvVAKJA/

Ugh, World Ballet Day's website has crashed; seems it's been down for 24 hours, or else I've just had bad luck accessing it. Must be that their new and helpful setup of announcing times in each person's time zone has been way too much for the servers. What a nightmare for them, with WBD starting in a matter of hours. (Or has it already started?) Thank you SO MUCH, volcanohunter, for the times and details you provided on this thread. I'd feel completely lost without that. 

21 hours ago, Terez said:

Ugh, World Ballet Day's website has crashed; seems it's been down for 24 hours, or else I've just had bad luck accessing it. Must be that their new and helpful setup of announcing times in each person's time zone has been way too much for the servers. What a nightmare for them, with WBD starting in a matter of hours. (Or has it already started?) Thank you SO MUCH, volcanohunter, for the times and details you provided on this thread. I'd feel completely lost without that. 

The WBD YouTube page seems to be the place to go:

Not sure if this is the place to discuss World Ballet Day--but after watching the ABT class, which I assume was pre-recorded since they are on tour, I went online to identify several dancers and the first one I went in search of was the woman in a drab--maybe grey or olive colored--sleeveless leotard (at least once they were in the center)--who was also, toward the end of class, briefly featured by the camera when wrapping up fouettés. She gave a big smile afterward when some dancers applauded. Let me swiftly say she caught my attention well before the fouettés for her clean, centered dancing. I would be happy to see more of her.

Studying photos on ABT's site I initially concluded it was Lea Flétoux, but after studying Instagram am less confident. If anyone knows,  then I'd be pleased to find out....

Edited by Drew
Not sure I had correctly identified a dancer.

Definitely not Lea but I don’t know who she was. Would love to know too. Several young dancers I couldn’t identify - the young lady with short hair (not Paulina Waski) and a very pale, blond women in red caught my eye too. Sierra Armstrong looked marvelous! Surprised more principal men weren’t in class compared to the women. 

12 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Definitely not Lea but I don’t know who she was. Would love to know too. Several young dancers I couldn’t identify - the young lady with short hair (not Paulina Waski) and a very pale, blond women in red caught my eye too. Sierra Armstrong looked marvelous! Surprised more principal men weren’t in class compared to the women. 

Thank you.  SIerra Armnstrong was one of the others whose photo I found after admiring her dancing in the class....At one point she was very much in site of the camera--the dancer I liked in the neutral-colored leotard not as often....

The girl in the olive leotard doing the fantastic fouettés at the end looks like Kotomi Yamada: https://www.abt.org/people/kotomi-yamada/?type=performer. She's fairly new to the corps. I agree she looked great.

Even though this was just a class and some of the dancers clearly were not dancing full out, it's easy to see who has the "it" factor and who fades into the background. Elisabeth Beyer looks ready for bigger things. I was also impressed by Michael de la Nuez and Luigi Crispino, neither of whom I've seen much of on stage. 

I was wondering about Kotomi Yamada being the person I was thinking of--and liked her even before the turns--thank you both @naomikage and @matilda.

Like @matildaI also noticed Crispino--at the risk being vulgar, may I say, too, found him very easy on the eyes--and De La Nuez. (Roxander I knew to look for and easily recognized though I've never seen him live.)

22 hours ago, Drew said:

Not sure if this is the place to discuss World Ballet Day--but after watching the ABT class, which I assume was pre-recorded since they are on tour, I went online to identify several dancers and the first one I went in search of was the woman in a drab--maybe grey or olive colored--sleeveless leotard (at least once they were in the center)--who was also, toward the end of class, briefly featured by the camera when wrapping up fouettés. She gave a big smile afterward when some dancers applauded. Let me swiftly say she caught my attention well before the fouettés for her clean, centered dancing. I would be happy to see more of her.

Studying photos on ABT's site I initially concluded it was Lea Flétoux, but after studying Instagram am less confident. If anyone knows,  then I'd be pleased to find out....

I believe the woman in grey/olive was Yoon Seo (edited: never mind, I see above that it's Kimora.)

21 hours ago, Barbara said:

The woman with short hair you were looking at is Abbey Marrison (it was curly, right?). The blond in red is Elizabeth Beyer.

Crispino and Nuez did look great, as others said. And, even in class Roxander was amazing.

I was also surprised at how many dancers were missing, but then again that studio was packed so I doubt the entire company would have fit anyway. No Curley, Han, Hoven, Williams, Stearns, Shevchenko, Cornejo, Seo, Royal, Murphy, Hurlin, etc. Perhaps they had rehearsal or were saving themselves for performance.

Also, if you didn't catch it, the Studio Company also put out a clip of Raymonda Suite for World Ballet Day. All of the dancers featured are in the company now except one, and their technique and maturity on display here is incredible.

Edited by ABT Fan
4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I believe the woman in grey/olive was Yoon Seo (edited: never mind, I see above that it's Kimora.)

I think from what was said in response to my comments that that the dancer I had noticed in the center was Kotomi Yamada - A very pale leotard. Not a dark colored one (see quote below). I gather Kimura also impressed people! And there were certainly a lot of great dancers there. More than I could track ...

12 hours ago, naomikage said:

The girl in the halter neck olive or dark blue leotard wearing ballet slippers while giving fouettés  (at the right of the screen, 1:20:46) is Kanon Kimura. 

https://www.abt.org/people/kanon-kimura/?type=performer

Kotomi Yamada (in a pale green leotard, left side of the screen) does the fouettés later and she is also a very good turner and got applauded at the very end.

As the one-month mark of World Ballet Day approaches, and some of the videos are likely to come down, I took a look at who bagged the most viewers this year.

Royal Ballet - 299,000, which is substantially fewer than last year.
Paris Opera Ballet - 171,000; the company also has 43,000 views on Facebook.
National Ballet of Japan - 133,000

ABT also pulled in an impressive 115,000 views for its company class.

I counted 5 streams that got fewer than 1,000 views, but I won't name names.

Edited by volcanohunter