This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Roster Changes 2023

As Volcanohunter mentioned, Froustey is in her final few years as a dancer, so it's really a shame she couldn't finish things on a high note at SFB. But a collection of problems conspired against her.

At this point, I think Tamara Rojo would be more of an excuse than a catalyst for the various leavings/retirements. It's simply a time of change. Every company that brings in a new A.D. sees some upheaval. At other companies, there have been A.D.'s that massively restructured things and let go of a lot of dancers, but I doubt Rojo is looking to do that - she has enough open positions to work with. I would think that she would want her first year to have as little drama as possible since there's so much for her to learn. Too much craziness and the board members quickly become disenchanted.

Oh, break my heart. I felt it in my bones, though, that it was coming. I so, so loved watching Froustey dance. I got the sense that Jasmine Jimison is being groomed as her replacement. Having seen R&J with both Jasmine and YY as Juliet, I felt that sense again, watching YY last Sunday afternoon.

I can well appreciate, however, the tug of wanting to be with family, when one is raising a child and the marriage (or new absence thereof) can't provide the support needed. Home is home and France is extraordinary. But, dang. I will miss her.

SFB just sent out email announcing the 2023-24 roster. I'll paste in the message.

Here's the updated web site: https://www.sfballet.org/the-company/artists/dancers/principals/

I don't follow this company enough to know what any of this means, but I am glad that Aaron Robison is on the roster.

We're Unveiling Our Company Roster for the 23–24 Season

San Francisco Ballet is thrilled to announce the roster for our 23–24 Season, featuring new corps de ballet members as well as a newly-defined group of Character Artists. We are delighted to welcome aboard new company members Katharine Lee, Hui-Wen Peng, and Simone Pompignoli who will join the coveted positions within SF Ballet's esteemed corps de ballet beginning July 1.

We've also promoted a group of gifted apprentices to the rank of corps de ballet: Jihyun Choi, Benjamin Davidoff, Jasper True Stanford, Angela Watson, and Seojeong Yun have shown dedication and immense growth throughout their apprenticeship.

Former Principal Dancers Joanna Berman, Pascal Molat, and Tiit Helimets, known for their extraordinary contributions to the dance world, will join as distinguished character artists. Their invaluable expertise and profound artistry will add depth and intrigue to SF Ballet's performances.

SF Ballet School faculty members, Kristi DeCaminada and Jeffrey Lyons will also take on additional roles as character artists. Their wealth of experience and profound understanding of dance will captivate audiences at every turn.

With an electrifying blend of fresh talent and esteemed artists, San Francisco Ballet's 23–24 season promises to be a captivating journey through the world of dance. Prepare to be spellbound by the extraordinary performances and innovative artistic vision that define SF Ballet's enduring legacy.

For the updated roster, visit our website.

11 minutes ago, California said:

SFB just sent out email announcing the 2023-24 roster. I'll paste in the message.

Here's the updated web site: https://www.sfballet.org/the-company/artists/dancers/principals/

I don't follow this company enough to know what any of this means, but I am glad that Aaron Robison is on the roster.

I agree totally with you, California, about Aaron Robison,  and am also happy to see Tiit Helimets now officially on the roster as a Principal Character Artist along with Pascal Molat and Joanna Berman - all three exceptional former principal dancers.  

1 hour ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Are they doing any additional promotions this year?  At the very least, I would have expected Jimison to get promoted.

Promotions generally come at a different time of year/season. Of course, it's all up to Rojo now, as to how she wants to handle it. Jimison was promoted to Soloist in 2021, I think.

Great to hear that Pascal Molat is going to be on stage again.

Edited by pherank

Natasha Sheehen was not featured much after her first year in the company.  She was a lovely dancer that first year. 

Promotions were announced by Tomasson at various times during the season's performances, usually with the official date pending the new rehearsal period in the summer.  For example, I recall Esteban Hernandez's promotion very quickly after he danced The Prodigal Son - which I saw him in but the promotion went into effect after the dancers' early summer break for the new season and contract.  

I would be distressed to see Jimison promoted without Isabella DeVivo also promoted to a much-deserved principal rank.  DeVivo has the radiance of a principal dancer as well as exceptional musical phrasing and beauty which is evident to anyone who has seen her in the Bluebird pas de deux, the Rose in Nutcracker, Snow pas de deux in Nutcracker; she stole the show in Ratmansky's The Seasons in 2022; and was beautiful as Cinderella.  Her classical technique is stunning and her exquisite pointe work,  on display in Cinderella, is rivalled only by Frances Chung at SFB.   And she has a beautiful, light jump. 

Soloist Lucas Erni is joining the ballet company directed by Bridget Breiner at Badishes Staatstheater Karlsruhe.  He was terrific in everything he danced, had a charismatic stage presence, and will be missed. 

Edited by Josette
50 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Sorry to be missing Lucas, but not a surprise. His GF Bianca Texiera (former SFB corps) is a soloist at Bavarian State Ballet. And she just danced Swanilda in Coppelia.

That's lovely news, PeggyTulle. It is interesting that yet another former SFB corps dancer is doing so well in another company (thinking of Kristina Lind, Alexandre Cagnat, Misa Kuranaga, and Isaac Hernandez, with these last two back after establishing themselves as principal dancers elsewhere). 

50 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Sorry to be missing Lucas, but not a surprise. His GF Bianca Texiera (former SFB corps) is a soloist at Bavarian State Ballet. And she just danced Swanilda in Coppelia.

That's lovely news, PeggyTulle. It is interesting that yet another former SFB corps dancer is doing so well in another company (thinking of Kristina Lind, Alexandre Cagnat, Misa Kuranaga, and Isaac Hernandez, with these last two back after establishing themselves as principal dancers elsewhere). 

8 minutes ago, Josette said:

I'd add Chisako Oga to that list, too!

14 hours ago, Josette said:

DeVivo has the radiance of a principal dancer as well as exceptional musical phrasing and beauty which is evident to anyone who has seen her in the Bluebird pas de deux, the Rose in Nutcracker, Snow pas de deux in Nutcracker; she stole the show in Ratmansky's The Seasons in 2022; and was beautiful as Cinderella.  Her classical technique is stunning and her exquisite pointe work,  on display in Cinderella, is rivalled only by Frances Chung at SFB.   And she has a beautiful, light jump. 

Big agree about DeVivo! I saw her as Cinderalla, and she was ethereal and radiant in it.  In general she looks great in everything - has the solid technical base for the classics, but is also versatile and musical and does well in the neoclassical and contemporary stuff.