This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

February 2023 Romeo & Juliet Casting at Kennedy Center

Casting for February 15-19 performances of Romeo and Juliet at the Kennedy Center, per email from ABT:

• Wed.:               Teuscher/Bell
  • Thu.:                 Hurlin/Royal III
  • Fri. matinee:   Shevchenko/Forster
  • Fri. evening:   Trenary/Cornejo
  • Sat. matinee: Boylston/Camargo
  • Sat. evening: Murphy/Whiteside
  • Sun.:              Seo/Stearns
Edited by YouOverThere

The same reason Trenary hasn't been cast in Swan Lake. They have enough people right now for the roles, so they are not training many  new people.   

Hurlin seems to be the most favored of the younger principal dancers, with good reason in my opinion.    

If Misty ever comes back, that is one more Juliet that will have to be inserted into a future schedule.

Edited by abatt

I agree with you MoMo that I think Skylar is a natural for R&J but more importantly I would imagine she would very much love to add it to her principal role repertoire.  I think it is just a matter of time; and she deserves it with extremely strong reviews in all of her debuts.  I also agree with Abatt that there are many principals for just a few roles.  Skylar will likely be given the nod in the most technically demanding roles because she is among the finest technicians in the company if not the strongest. While R&J is demanding, it is not the same as dancing G, SL T&V or SB in my opinion.  The upside here is that ABT has a really strong crop of Ballerinas and this is good for the company! 

Edited by TheAccidentalBalletomane
spelling!

What's odd is that ABT removed one performance of Romeo and Juliet from the Met season though. There's no show on Monday 7/17 whereas every other full performance week has a Monday show. So there's definitely room for one more Juliet this year if they wanted one. R&J sells well so it's unclear why they shortened the week. I think Brandt would make a fine Juliet. 

Mercutio casting has been posted: Klein gets opening night and 3 performances total and Maloney and Gonzalez both get debuts and 2 performances each (all 3 are so deserving, and Klein had better be promoted this year).

Pogossian debuted the role at the Met last summer, so I wonder why he's not cast (injury, illness?). Neither is Shayer, who has done Mercutio several times - still on the roster, but hasn't performed since I believe last summer. I haven't seen any announcement but he had alluded on his IG to being a guest artist now (but, again, still not dancing).

12 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

iNeither is Shayer, who has done Mercutio several times - still on the roster, but hasn't performed since I believe last summer. I haven't seen any announcement but he had alluded on his IG to being a guest artist now (but, again, still not dancing).

I saw Shayer dance Mercutio last summer and he was extremely sloppy in the role. I will never go to see him again,

On 1/25/2023 at 9:43 PM, ABT Fan said:

Mercutio casting has been posted: Klein gets opening night and 3 performances total and Maloney and Gonzalez both get debuts and 2 performances each (all 3 are so deserving, and Klein had better be promoted this year).

On 1/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, angelica said:

I saw Shayer dance Mercutio last summer and he was extremely sloppy in the role. I will never go to see him again,

Good for Maloney and Gonzalez, I hope one or both of the might get a Rothbart. Shayer was the only Mercutio I missed last season, but I was able to see all the Pimp Daddy Rothbarts, and he was the weakest out of all of them.

49 minutes ago, DPell said:

Good for Maloney and Gonzalez, I hope one or both of the might get a Rothbart. Shayer was the only Mercutio I missed last season, but I was able to see all the Pimp Daddy Rothbarts, and he was the weakest out of all of them.

So happy for both Carlos González and Tyler Maloney. They were both injured last year and worked hard to recover and come back. They deserved this. 

I tested positive for covid this evening (Sunday), so I don't know if I will get to this show. Especially since the most likely place that I caught it was at the Kennedy Center (watching Alvin Ailey). Given my situation, with an advanced cancer patient at home, it was probably irresponsible for me go to concerts and shows now that few people wear masks.

23 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

I tested positive for covid this evening (Sunday), so I don't know if I will get to this show. Especially since the most likely place that I caught it was at the Kennedy Center (watching Alvin Ailey). Given my situation, with an advanced cancer patient at home, it was probably irresponsible for me go to concerts and shows now that few people wear masks.

Sorry to hear this.  Feel better, and I hope the members of your household are okay too.

On 2/12/2023 at 9:02 PM, YouOverThere said:

Hope you feel better soon and that everyone in your household stays safe.

It's hard always to know how best to make these decisions about going out etc. I have a somewhat Covid-vulnerable partner and am myself a little older (and cautious by nature), but that takes a toll too...

Report from last night (2/15). I had forgotten how much I love this production of Romeo and Juliet, with the lush sets and costumes and of course Prokofiev's music!

It was my first time seeing Aran Bell in a leading role and he didn't disappoint - excellent stage presence and his youth really works in his favor as Romeo. Teuscher was a fine Juliet. First time also seeing Carlos Gonzalez, who was a very good Mercutio. Very pleased overall.

Nice to see some familiar faces on stage in what felt like a very luxurious casting with Thomas Forster as Tybalt, Blaine Hoven as Paris and Joe Gorak as Benvolio. The corps was good. I feel like the pandemic years have really done ABT a favor giving some younger dancers time to develop and more mature dancers a welcome respite.

Would love to hear report from the other casts!

11 hours ago, bingham said:

Does the Met have a similar Digital Program during the ABT season? It would be very interesting.

No, the Met and ABT still give you physical printed programs (Playbills). When I went to the Kennedy Center to see the Ukranian ballet's Giselle I was very disappointed to find out that they had abandoned printed programs and you had to go online to the digital program for a full list of dancers. I would be happy to have both printed and digital but am not happy at all with only digital.

19 minutes ago, nysusan said:

No, the Met and ABT still give you physical printed programs (Playbills). When I went to the Kennedy Center to see the Ukranian ballet's Giselle I was very disappointed to find out that they had abandoned printed programs and you had to go online to the digital program for a full list of dancers. I would be happy to have both printed and digital but am not happy at all with only digital.

One possible difference for printed programs: both NYCB and ABT offer as a small perk for donating above a certain level including your name in the program. Colorado Ballet does the same thing. I believe it's $2500 for NYCB and $1200 for ABT. If printed programs are discontinued, will that put a slight damper on the size of donations? I don't know, maybe not, but they must be wondering about that. Kennedy Center doesn't have the large network of small-ish donors that those companies have. I wonder what Washington Ballet does, as they do have an active Friends group.

I was hoping to bring home a nice print program from the Kennedy Center for my dental assistant, as he is a refugee from Ukraine! The only thing I could find for him was the xeroxed large print program! A group of us at one performance wondered if we might ask Ratmansky for his autograph as he was sitting nearby - but what could he sign? Our tickets? We chickened out, but I wouldn't mind having that autograph - he was the real star of the show!

Edited by California