This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tamara Rojo named new Artistic Director of San Francisco Ballet

1 hour ago, pherank said:

I'm not sure it matters that they are friends with Facebook executive Nick Clegg (or, Sir Nicholas Clegg). But I guess that's supposed to demonstrate that Rojo and Hernandez are in with the movers and shakers of the Bay Area, and London. 

I suspect that British readers still think of Clegg primarily as the former leader of the Liberal Democrats and former Deputy Prime Minister in David Cameron's cabinet. Journalists bring up associations with people currently or previously in power almost as a matter of course, because yes, it does imply access to the movers and shakers.

11 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I suspect that British readers still think of Clegg primarily as the former leader of the Liberal Democrats and former Deputy Prime Minister in David Cameron's cabinet. Journalists bring up associations with people currently or previously in power almost as a matter of course, because yes, it does imply access to the movers and shakers.

Yes of course you are right, Volcanohunter, the Brits would be mainly interested in Clegg as a once powerful politician (perhaps may still have some influence).

Edited by pherank
13 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I'm not sure it matters that they are friends with Facebook executive Nick Clegg (or, Sir Nicholas Clegg). But I guess that's supposed to demonstrate that Rojo and Hernandez are in with the movers and shakers of the Bay Area, and London. 

(Second quote is from pherank.)

Their being friendly with the Cleggs isn't really the sort of tidbit that a reporter would bring up. It sounds more like something Rojo and Hernandez mentioned which was duly dropped into the article.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:37 PM, pherank said:

Yes of course you are right, Volcanohunter, the Brits would be mainly interested in Clegg as a once powerful politician (perhaps may still have some influence).

Nick who???  (I am British, living in the UK).  He was forgotten even before he'd gone!