This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi 2021/2022 Season

Buddy

On 2/26/2022 at 4:57 PM, California said:

If Ratmansky were willing to become a company director again, I suspect ABT would be ecstatic to hire him. But from things he said when NYCB wanted him to be their choreographer, exclusively, he seems to want the freedom to work with many different companies, in both new work and reconstructions.  

I'm wondering what happens to his Giselle reconstruction, which I saw "live" streaming in the theater in January 2020 before the lockdown.  It would be great if they would release it on DVD or streaming-for-purchase or bring it to the US on tour, but all of that seems in doubt for the foreseeable future.

At least his Giselle reconstruction has actually been performed and is in the repertoire.  I don't have much interest in The Art of the Fugue, but his production of Pharaoh's Daughter, which the Mariinsky was to premiere in May, will not now go ahead either.   

35 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Wonder who was he and what did he say in the video? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjrZqaOfx38&t=23s&ab_channel=BolshoiTheatre

This is the Google translation of the printed part, Lizzy.  I have no personal comments, except that a ceasefire agreement in Ukraine as soon as possible would be fine with me.

Address by the General Director of the Bolshoi Theater Vladimir Urin before the performance of the ballet "Spartacus" (April 2, 19:00).

The Bolshoi Theater launched a large-scale charity event "Open Curtain", organized by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation. The collection from the legendary performance by Yuri Grigorovich will be sent to help the families of soldiers who died during the special military operation of the Russian Federation in Ukraine.

The Bolshoi Theater will also show one of the performances in April for refugees from Ukraine.

Edited by Buddy
7 hours ago, Buddy said:

This is the Google translation of the printed part, Lizzy.  I have no personal comments, except that a ceasefire agreement in Ukraine as soon as possible would be fine with me.

Address by the General Director of the Bolshoi Theater Vladimir Urin before the performance of the ballet "Spartacus" (April 2, 19:00).

The Bolshoi Theater launched a large-scale charity event "Open Curtain", organized by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation. The collection from the legendary performance by Yuri Grigorovich will be sent to help the families of soldiers who died during the special military operation of the Russian Federation in Ukraine.

The Bolshoi Theater will also show one of the performances in April for refugees from Ukraine.

Thank you for the information! I wish peace for Ukraine too!

15 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Thank you for the information! I wish peace for Ukraine too!

As someone who looked forward to visiting Russia each year (perhaps more than anything else), Lizzy, primarily for the ballet, but also because there is a lot to love there, as there is everywhere, I look forward to the day when our primary attention here can once again return to the arts.

In late June the Bolshoi has scheduled two performances of the Postscipt program. This was very much Olga Smirnova's project and brainchild, centered around her performances in Wayne McGregor's McGregor + Mugler and Alexei Ratmansky's Souvenir d'un lieu cher. The program has also included Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's Faun and Postscript by Sol Leon and Paul Lightfoot. Like Ratmansky, McGregor, Cherkaoui and Lightfoot have condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

By scheduling the program, I get the impression that the Bolshoi is trying to give Smirnova the finger. I am curious to see which pieces will actually be performed, and whether the Bolshoi intends to continue its thug-like behavior by performing works despite choreographers' objections (as in the case of Christophe Maillot's The Taming of the Shrew). I also can't help wondering how dancers feel about performing ballets when they know it goes against a choreographer's wishes.

Edited by volcanohunter
5 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

In late June the Bolshoi has scheduled two performances of the Postscipt program. This was very much Olga Smirnova's project and brainchild, centered around her performances in Wayne McGregor's McGregor + Mugler and Alexei Ratmansky's Souvenir d'un lieu cher. The program has also included Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's Faun and Postscript by Sol Leon and Paul Lightfoot. Like Ratmansky, McGregor, Cherkaoui and Lightfoot have condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

By scheduling the program, I get the impression that the Bolshoi is trying to give Smirnova the finger. I am curious to see which pieces will actually be performed, and whether the Bolshoi intends to continue its thug-like behavior by performing works despite choreographers' objections (as in the case of Christophe Maillot's The Taming of the Shrew). I also can't help wondering how dancers feel about performing ballets when they know it goes against a choreographer's wishes.

If a company genuinely has the the legal rights to a work, then I don't think that it's "thug-like" to perform it against the choreographer's wishes.  The context of the war is what makes all of this so disturbing and, I infer, deeply upsetting for the choreographers. But choreographers sign agreements--and have been known to lose control of their works to companies. Rule of law still applies (even if it seems ridiculous in the present context). From the little I've read, it's a question mark whether the Bolshoi has the legal right to perform these works. They may.

I feel for the choreographers, and have no sympathy for the Bolshoi which I know perfectly well doesn't care about "rule of law"--but that's not a reason for me not to do so.  Now--if there were a gray area-- contracts were not finalized, nothing signed etc.--then it's potentially criminal behavior...and I think the choreographers should, if they have the resources, take legal action (there may be pro bono lawyers who are interested too).

No matter the purely legal issues, I am sure it's awkward for the dancers especially if/as they still harbor hopes of working with some of these choreographers in the future. But if Russian--which is also to say, Soviet--Ballet history proves anything, it's that many gifted artists can work surprisingly effectively in an atmosphere of propaganda, lies, and intimidation....even as others around them are destroyed.

Ratmansky's works have been withdrawn at his request, but this is to be expected since he, like Smirnova, now falls into the category of "traitor and scum." Vladimir Urin's argument for not withdrawing Maillot's ballet at the choreographer's request is that the company has not violated the terms of their contract--though how exactly royalties will be paid now is unclear to me. Perhaps the Bolshoi still has access to a foreign bank account, from which it can also continue paying to import the Gaynor Minden shoes many of its dancers use.

The Bolshoi may be within its legal rights to continue presenting these works, but surely this poisons relations with the choreographers, who would be unlikely to renew contracts when the time comes and unlikely to accept new commissions. It could also make other choreographers wary of working there in the future. That's why I think it's a stupid move.

Technically, the Postscript program, like Zakharova's Modanse, is not a formal part of the Bolshoi's repertoire, and you won't find it listed on the web site. They are presented by MuzArts, a project run by former soloist turned impresario Yuri Baranov. McGregor + Mugler premiered in London in late 2019 (to poor reviews). It was first performed at the Bolshoi a year and a half later, together with works originally commissioned by Dutch National Ballet, NDT2 and Sadler's Wells. Cherkaoui's Faun had been performed by the Bolshoi earlier on a different one-off program that was a formal Bolshoi presentation, so I assume the theater had secured performing rights to that piece. I am not privy to who paid McGregor for his ballet, but it's possible it was not a Bolshoi commission either.

In any case, tickets to earlier presentations of Postscript were astronomically expensive. The Bolshoi can't hope to charge nearly as much now that the star of this star vehicle has left.

The Bolshoi has abruptly canceled performances of Yuri Possokhov's Nureyev that were to take place on May 6-8 and replaced them with (wait for it...) Spartacus. No explanation was provided.

But a few days ago Kirill Serebrennikov, the director of the production (a concept I don't quite understand), posted a collection of old anti-war posters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7QqJQqSIF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by volcanohunter
4 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The Bolshoi has abruptly canceled performances of Yuri Possokhov's Nureyev that were to take place on May 6-8 and replaced them with (wait for it...) Spartacus. No explanation was provided.

But a few days ago Kirill Serebrennikov, the director of the production (a concept I don't quite understand), posted a collection of old anti-war posters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7QqJQqSIF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I wonder if this means they are going to drop the Serebrennikov/Possokhovn Hero of our Time from future Repertory plans...even if it is (presumably) less controversial on its own account...

12 hours ago, Drew said:

I wonder if this means they are going to drop the Serebrennikov/Possokhovn Hero of our Time from future Repertory plans...even if it is (presumably) less controversial on its own account...

A Hero of Our Time has not been performed all season, so I suspect the license to present it was not renewed at the end of last season, when a new Possokhov ballet based on a literary source--The Seagull--premiered. (Just as Edward Clug's Petrushka disappeared with the arrival of his Master and Margarita.) In retrospect, I thought not renewing Hero was a mistake, given the company's rapidly shrinking repertoire and the prospect of more licenses expiring in the near future. Although presumably a tacit ban on productions involving Serebrennikov would now have doomed Hero as well.

The repertoire list includes a number of productions that haven't been performed in years, but several have been struck from the rolls, making their removal official, including The CageArtifact SuiteForgotten Land and Marco Spada. (Previously Vaziev had moved quickly to elimiate a "Dutch" triple bill that had been the last premiere of Filin's tenure.)

Edited by volcanohunter

The Bolshoi isn't talking, but Serebrennikov is:

"This ballet is about man's yearning for freedom. Freedom to create and freedom to live," he told AFP in written comments.

"These days 'Nureev' is inappropriate and impossible on the Bolshoi stage. They are afraid of unnecessary associations and uncomfortable artists," Serebrennikov added.

He called the cancellation a throwback to the Soviet era.

"'Nuriev' was cancelled at the Bolshoi Theatre. Cancellation of Russian culture in Europe, you say? In Russia, they themselves are cancelling culture."

There were still lots of Pierre Lacotte's "La Fille du Pharaon" ("The Pharaoh's Daughter") last week, five actually. This is normal with the Bolshoi, whereas the Mariinsky seldom performs two of the same works in a row, or so it seems.

I already mentioned Alyona Kovalyova and Artemy Belyakov . There are also video clips showing Yulia Stepanova/Artem Ovcharenko and Ekaterina Krysanova/Vladislav Lantratov/ Elizaveta Kokoreva(Ramze).

Of the ballerinas, they are all lovely. My memories of Ekaterina Krysanova go way back. Two other Aspicias were Evgenia Obraztsova and Anna Nikulina, both of whom I've seen dance beautifully.

At the end of this work, the daughter and father are able to 'reconcile.' A nice thought.  

If the Ministry of Culture is demanding the removal of productions by "uncomfortable" Russian artists such as Serebrennikov and Timofey Kulyabin, and the Bolshoi agreed to Ratmansky's request that his ballets not be performed, because he is also "traitor and scum," the company has pointedly refused to stop presenting pieces by foreign choreographers, even those who have condemned the invasion, and even when they have asked that the Bolshoi not perform their work. Vladimir Urin acknowledged that if Jean-Christophe Maillot's public request had been granted, other choreographers would have followed suit, and the Bolshoi would be left with very little to dance. Even now we see that the holes left by indefinite postponement of The Art of the Fugue, or the removal of Nureyev or the cancellation of this year's Benois competition is plugged up with a predictable stream of Swan Lake, Don Quixote and/or Spartacus.

Urin's argument is that the licenses are paid for and the contract terms have not been violated, so the ballets will continue to be presented, whether choreographers like it or not. But these agreements don't last forever, and there is a high probability that many will not be renewed when their expiration date comes.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:44 AM, volcanohunter said:

It just never gets old - the one ballet that fits all situations.  😉

To get back to the artistry for a moment, there was a performance of Jewels, April 21, from which I was able to view a video clip of Eva Sergeyenkova and Semyon Chudin dancing the duet from Diamonds, which so impresses me that I just wrote about it under her topic at Dancers.

While looking at the casting I noticed a few other things that were interesting.

For those fans of Victoria Brilyova, like myself, from the Mariinsky, she was one of the Soloists in this same performance. I hope that she's able to get even more attention.

The lead couple in Rubies was Kristina Kretova and Artem Ovcharenko. She's a vibrant personality who should fit this role very well.

Emeralds featured Anastasia Goryacheva, with Ana Turazashvili, whom you might remember as the charming moderator from the Bolshoi's World Ballet Day broadcasts, being the second ballerina. I long ago focussed on a video of her doing this and continue to find it a very respectable interpretation. She also appeared as one of the Soloists in Diamonds. 

And once again my feelings that art and artistry such as this must thrive as a beacon for human values. 

Edited by Buddy

I remember years ago seeing the entire series of Bolshoi performances of La Bayadere in Berkeley, California. I wrote about it beginning with the thought that with a performing arts company of such quality as this, once the curtain goes up your daily concerns are pushed aside immediately. Concerns were different then, certainly not as focused on the realities of this particular artistic entity as they are now. 

Yet, the ’spell’ and the elevating power remain — a display of what human beauty is capable of.

So, as often is the case, a breath of fresh air. This time it’s the ‘Dream Scene’ from Don Quixote.

I came across a video clip from two weeks ago featuring Elizaveta Kokoreva (Kitri) and Yulia Stepanova. It's filmed from what appears to be the top of the top balcony with no closeups. It's an unusual sight line for this kind of film, but still very effective and interesting.

And once again -- Hands. If you're sitting at the top of the theater with dancers' arms high in the air, what are you most likely to notice ?  Yep. And here once again is a reminder of how beautiful ballet hands from Russia are, perhaps even slightly more so with the Vaganova trained Yulia Stepanova. On the other hand, Elizaveta Kokoreva's charming animation is highly noticeable, whereas Yulia Stepanova's linear perfection is somewhat lessened by the foreshortening camera angle.

It's an interesting and beautiful visual experience, especially in viewing the entire cast and all their groupings so distinctly. 

And for me, once again, the children's dancing, and more important, their heartwarming presence, are so clearly visible -- Yes, a breath of fresh air. 

Edited by Buddy
On 4/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, volcanohunter said:

It's now called Postscript 2.0, and the ballets by McGregor and Ratmansky are gone. Instead there will be brand new works by Konstantin Keykhel and Yuri Possokhov (which I suppose gives an indication of Possokhov's position). Tickets are still overpriced. Oddly, Ratmansky's Flames of Paris has been scheduled for July, even though it was thought the final run had taken place in April.

https://2011.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/postscript2022-6/

As expected the 30th anniversary of the Benois de la Danse will feature only dancers from Russian companies, and Svetlana Zakharova is listed as the gala's "artistic director" and top-billed performer. A celebration of the fact that these "ballet Oscars" (🙄) won't be handed out this year?

https://2011.bolshoi.ru/about/press/articles/announce/7081/

This is for those of you who have been following Victoria Brilyeva's performances with the Bolshoi after leaving the Mariinsky.  Brilyeva is getting her first leading role as one of the leading couples in Emeralds on June 29. Congratulations and  wish her much success in this role!