This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Center 2021-2022 season

New York City Center has announced its 2021-2022 season: https://www.nycitycenter.org/About/2021-2022-season/

A few interesting ballet offerings:

TWYLA NOW
Nov 17 – 21, 2021

Pioneering choreographer Twyla Tharp turns 80 and she’s celebrating on our stage. Stars including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s James Gilmer and Jacquelin Harris; American Ballet Theatre’s Aran Bell and Catherine Hurlin; Tony-nominated actor and dancer Robert Fairchild; and New York City Ballet’s Sara MearnsRoman Mejia, and Tiler Peck perform signature works and two world premieres including a group piece featuring the principal dancers and an ensemble of young performers for this once-in-a-lifetime event.

ARTISTS AT THE CENTER | TILER PECK
Mar 3 – 6, 2022

Artists at the Center is our new dance series that gives City Center’s extraordinary family of artists opportunities to conceive and curate their own programs for our stage. Tiler Peck, New York City Ballet principal dancer, will launch this annual event with a program of her design, performing alongside a variety of dancers and musicians. A City Center-commissioned world premiere set to music composed by jazz legend and recent Academy Award-winner Jon Batiste is presented alongside works by William ForsytheAlonzo King, Jennifer Weber, and Peck herself.

ST. PETERSBURG EIFMAN BALLET
Jun 10 – 12, 2022

Award-winning choreographer Boris Eifman explores the life and artistic universe of the famous comedy dramatist Molière in his latest production, Molière Passion, or The Mask of Don Juan. Like the 2001 production of Don Juan & Molière, the new ballet draws its dramatic energy from the contradictory unity of theater and reality, and the paradoxical relationship between the author and his characters.

On 7/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, California said:

New York City Center has announced its 2021-2022 season: https://www.nycitycenter.org/About/2021-2022-season/

A few interesting ballet offerings:

TWYLA NOW
Nov 17 – 21, 2021

Pioneering choreographer Twyla Tharp turns 80 and she’s celebrating on our stage. Stars including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s James Gilmer and Jacquelin Harris; American Ballet Theatre’s Aran Bell and Catherine Hurlin; Tony-nominated actor and dancer Robert Fairchild; and New York City Ballet’s Sara MearnsRoman Mejia, and Tiler Peck perform signature works and two world premieres including a group piece featuring the principal dancers and an ensemble of young performers for this once-in-a-lifetime event.

ARTISTS AT THE CENTER | TILER PECK
Mar 3 – 6, 2022

Artists at the Center is our new dance series that gives City Center’s extraordinary family of artists opportunities to conceive and curate their own programs for our stage. Tiler Peck, New York City Ballet principal dancer, will launch this annual event with a program of her design, performing alongside a variety of dancers and musicians. A City Center-commissioned world premiere set to music composed by jazz legend and recent Academy Award-winner Jon Batiste is presented alongside works by William ForsytheAlonzo King, Jennifer Weber, and Peck herself.

ST. PETERSBURG EIFMAN BALLET
Jun 10 – 12, 2022

Award-winning choreographer Boris Eifman explores the life and artistic universe of the famous comedy dramatist Molière in his latest production, Molière Passion, or The Mask of Don Juan. Like the 2001 production of Don Juan & Molière, the new ballet draws its dramatic energy from the contradictory unity of theater and reality, and the paradoxical relationship between the author and his characters.

I definitely want to see Twyla Now. Thank you, California, for posting this information. 

The program for Fall for Dance Festival at City Center has been announced: https://www.nycitycenter.org/pdps/FallforDance/

Tickets go on sale September 19. Proof of vaccination required for everybody,

"Masks may be required in accordance with local government guidelines."

Program 1 | Wed Oct 13 & Thu Oct 14 8pm

STREB EXTREME ACTION
MolinetteAdd, and Air
Choreography by Elizabeth Streb

A.I.M by Kyle Abraham
From A Heart Still Beating | NY Premiere
Choreography by Kyle Abraham in collaboration with A.I.M

The Verdon Fosse Legacy
Sweet Gwen Suite | New York City Center Commission
Choreography by Bob Fosse & Gwen Verdon
Additional choreography by Linda Haberman

Program 2 | Fri Oct 15 & Sat Oct 16 8pm

Stephen Petronio Company
American Landscapes
Choreography by Stephen Petronio

Houston Ballet
Sons de L’âme excerpts | NY Premiere
Choreography by Stanton Welch AM

Ephrat Asherie Dance
ODEON:Redux
Choreography by Ephrat Asherie

Program 3 | Tue Oct 19 & Wed Oct 20 8pm

Philadelphia Ballet
Connection | NY Premiere
Choreography by Juliano Nunes

Micaela Taylor’s The TL Collective
Drift | NY Premiere
Choreography by Micaela Taylor

STEP AFRIKA!
The Movement | NY Premiere
Choreography by Conrad Kelly II

Program 4 | Thu Oct 21 & Fri Oct 22 8pm

Lar Lubovitch Dance Company with Guest Artists Adrian Danchig-Waring & Joseph Gordon
To Each in His Own Time, New York City Center Commission | World Premiere
Choreography by Lar Lubovitch

Lil Buck
38109, Co-presented with Damian Woetzel’s Vail Dance Festival | NY Premiere
Choreography by Lil Buck

BalletX
Mapping Out A Sky | NY Premiere
Choreography by Matthew Neenan

Program 5 | Sat Oct 23 8pm & Sun Oct 24 3pm

Roman Mejia
Fandango, Co-presented with Damian Woetzel’s Vail Dance Festival
Choreography by Alexei Ratmansky

Tiler Peck & Herman Cornejo
Bloom, Co-commission with Damian Woetzel’s Vail Dance Festival | NY Premiere
Choreography by Justin Peck

Ayodele Casel
New York City Center Commission| World Premiere
Choreography by Ayodele Casel

On 9/1/2021 at 1:45 PM, California said:

The program for Fall for Dance Festival at City Center has been announced: https://www.nycitycenter.org/pdps/FallforDance/

Tickets go on sale September 19. Proof of vaccination required for everybody,

Tickets went on sale today (Sunday, 9/19) for Fall for Dance Festival. I have never been to this Festival before, but coincidentally will be in town for one performance, so I thought I'd try. Logged on the minute they opened (11 am EDT) and was in the waiting room for an hour. But I'm surprised at how good the seat is. I am a Friend at the lowest level and have no idea if that might have anything to do with it. No seat selection, but okay.

1 hour ago, California said:

Tickets went on sale today (Sunday, 9/19) for Fall for Dance Festival. I have never been to this Festival before, but coincidentally will be in town for one performance, so I thought I'd try. Logged on the minute they opened (11 am EDT) and was in the waiting room for an hour. But I'm surprised at how good the seat is. I am a Friend at the lowest level and have no idea if that might have anything to do with it. No seat selection, but okay.

I had no problem, just now, buying tickets for programs 4 & 5 with no wait. Some shows now say limited availability but there are definitely tickets to be had.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, vipa said:

I had no problem, just now, buying tickets for programs 4 & 5 with no wait. Some shows now say limited availability but there are definitely tickets to be had.

Yes, I also was able to get good seats for program 5, purchased Sunday night. I could never see Fall for Dance before because availability was so difficult. I was surprised they were still available Sunday night. Maybe not so good for City Center, but it's good for me!

I really enjoyed Fall for Dance this year. I saw opening night (program 1), with Elizabeth Streb, Kyle Abraham's beautiful piece to Nina Simone recordings. and Sweet Gwen Suite with Georgina Pazcoquin (very sassy), program 2 with Stephen Petronio, Houston Ballet and Ephat Asherie (very charming, tap and hip hop), and Program 5 with Fandango, Justin Peck's Bloom for Tiler Peck and Herman Cornejo (fabulous) and Ayodele Casel (great tap, with music and amazing vocals by Crystal Monee Hall. If she has a record I'm buying it) . What a lot of variety.  It may have been easier to get tickets, but the audiences seemed quite full, and as enthusiastic as ever.