This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB live for World Ballet Day 2015 - Sept. 30th, 7pm PDT

Yeah, he's a little crazed. ;)

But you have to appreciate someone so into their art. And Frances Chung only weighs 5lbs.

I was only able to watch sections of the broadcast for SFB because work kept intruding. Grrrrrrrrrr.

And I was trying to recall which principles were not present: Kochetkova (is somewhere with ABT I believe), and I don't recall seeing Sarah Van Patten. And I was thinking I saw Davit Karapetyn early on in the class, but maybe I was wrong about that.

Oh, and it was great to see Lizzy Powell and Sasha De Sola back from injury.

I had the same issue, pherank - I had it on at work and things kept getting in the way of watching everything. However, they are going to have the entire 5 hours available on Youtube for 60 days.

Hopefully "warts and all" because that is actually more instructive and fun. Of all the companies, SFB is the most likely to censor or pull their footage entirely because of all the copyright issues. It's maddening.

I would like to take a moment to thank PNB for including a healthy portion of reheasal footage in their segment - that was great to see.

I missed the first hour, but joined as the Giselle rehearsal was in progress. It was great to see Yuan Yuan & Tiit dancing together again. How exciting to see Carlo rehearsing as Alrbrecht to Mathilde's Giselle. I saw them as Romeo & Juliet and know they will be wonderful in Giselle.

It was great to see the duos rehearsing for The Fifth Season, Rush, and especially Hummingbird because Liam Scarlett was there to work on his new piece. I am really excited for the new Scarlett. He has chosen wonderful music and by the looks of it Fearful Symmetries is going to be fabulous. I especially liked seeing the dancers who will be in the piece.

Can't wait for the clip to be posted on You Tube so I can watch it again!!

The "Frankenstein" ballet idea (Royal and SFB co-production) certainly took me by surprise. ;)

But I can't wait to see the actual results. Many people are confused by the name: "Frankenstein" was the Doctor/Scientist and the "monster" was never really given a name, other than "Frankenstein's monster".

Oh, wow, I'm so grateful for the link, pherank. I guess I could have searched it out myself, but it was so nice to come here, see people's comments, and hop right over there. I had a pathetically small amount of real-time watching on the actual day, and I felt sort of cheated all day long. Did get to watch a nice chunk of Liam Scarlett rehearsing Frances Chung and [who was her partner here?]. Absolutely loved it. Really quality work to watch. I comforted myself with the fact that I'd had quality if not quantity. But I'm really enjoying watching the link to SFB company class right now. ... Who can tell me who the younger guy is, with a green (pale olive) tee-shirt and dark hair is? He looks fairly new (as in, not one of the soloists or principals). He's got gorgeous form and a real instinct for musicality. Anyone...?

Who can tell me who the younger guy is, with a green (pale olive) tee-shirt and dark hair is? He looks fairly new (as in, not one of the soloists or principals). He's got gorgeous form and a real instinct for musicality. Anyone...?

This dancer? I'm pretty bad at remembering all the Corps dancers. I think the Corps do Ballet page has been updated on the SFB website though, so you may be able to figure out his name.

Dancer.png

It's Max - Cauthorn. Wonderful dancer to watch, austere and lyrical, a kind of Balthus figure.

Interesting comparing the Pacific Northwest Ballet and San Francisco company classes. SF seemed a group of individual approaches, often briiliant - Max C, Esteban Hernandez, Joseph Walsh - whereas PNB danced more in one voice. Also PNB had an emphasis on the finish and accenting of hands - the end of the splash with a tiny retard - which would be very effective in Serenade, Symphony in C and T&V.

I wouldn't mind it if SFB starting paying more attention to the hands - as Felipe Diaz says, "no spiders". ;)

I think Tomasson realized that it would be easier to nurture the individuality of the dancers at SFB, rather than try to impose a single aesthetic on his dancers. The Corps at SFB is still expected to dance together as a cohesive unit, but any solo dancers are allowed to be themselves - to a point. The dancer obviously couldn't be 'expressing' herself in a way that Tomasson found to be annoying or offensive, or simply not within the boundaries of the choreography. But individual inflections are welcomed, and I think that is a good thing for that particular company. (The coaching staff has got to be superior to allow this individualized approach a chance to work.)

There is of course going to be strengths and weaknesses to any approach. I also happen to like companies that have achieved a particular aesthetic approach: NYCB and Mariinsky, for example.

I wonder also if the aesthetic hasn't changed at City Ballet and PNB over the past 10 or 15 years - faster, more accents at the fingertips - lighter, cleaner. As if Balanchine were being played on the harpsichord rather than the piano (as when he was alive). You do get a good overview of patterns and intricate counterpoint - perhaps appropriate for the new Peck & Ratmansky ballets ...

I'm sure many people would agree with you that it has changed - and probably can't help but do that. Even if every ballet company danced the same 6 Petipa/Ivanov ballets, and nothing more, each generation of dancers and coaches would impart something different over time.

Question: who should teach the master class in arm and hand work?

It's Max - Cauthorn. Wonderful dancer to watch, austere and lyrical, a kind of Balthus figure.

Interesting comparing the Pacific Northwest Ballet and San Francisco company classes. SF seemed a group of individual approaches, often briiliant - Max C, Esteban Hernandez, Joseph Walsh - whereas PNB danced more in one voice. Also PNB had an emphasis on the finish and accenting of hands - the end of the splash with a tiny retard - which would be very effective in Serenade, Symphony in C and T&V.

Yay, thanks on the naming, Quiggin! I was thinking maybe it was him, as I've really enjoyed bits of his dancing since his first season with the company, but it's funny how a close up of the corps dancers' faces doesn't always help, since you're used to seeing them from a distance and under bright lights.

I enjoyed the comments you made about the comparisons between the PNB and the SFB. Well put!