This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

A lovely series of photos from the wings (?) of Yulia Stepanova and Mikhail Lobukin in La Bayadere. Google translation of the photographer's comment "first Nikia in the block, which prompted tears of empathy. Julia, bravo!"

Edited by Guest
On 3/28/2018 at 2:38 AM, Mashinka said:

Not in that picture she isn't

On 3/28/2018 at 2:54 AM, mnacenani said:

Edited by Guest
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Quinten said:

Google translation of the photographer's comment "first Nikia in the block, which prompted tears of empathy. Julia, bravo!"

This was indeed Nikiya danced from the depths of her soul (the previous three Nikiyas, "in this bloc," were Zakharova, Krysanova and Smirnova), I shed a tear already in a surprisingly moving opening scene with the Brahmin, I don't recall this ever happening before. In the Kingdom of Shades Stepanova was more mellow, more otherworldly, than usual. Her Solor, Lobukhin, displayed profound expression, and produced excellent partnering (in his hands, Stepanova was weightlessly flying suspended through the air in the Kingdom of Shades).

A rare gem from a certain, aptly named, "lapetitratdelopera", caught my attention

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLoQFpEDI7M/

Laurent,

I agree. Near the end of the white adagio where she bourees away from Siegfried (and he follows her and helps move her in both directions....holds her waist and helps her turn right and left) she seemed like she was experiencing the most profound love of all. Then, when she entered during the final act she melted like she was weak and frail right before doing the high attitudes on each side by each line of swans. At the end as they embrace and she did the low arabesque with his arms around her it was not just happiness but relief.  It was the first time I "got" the final act and how beautiful it can be. I have seen many Swan Lakes and that one will stay burned in my memory.

Stepanova is a fine poser but, in general, she is a robotic and self conscious mover. The bend of her upper body is extreme warping, with chest jutting out...as Makhalina used to do in the 1990s. Hands too big. The one Bolshoi prima who I avoid at all costs.

I’ll hand her one thing: since her Mariinsky choryphee days, into her Kremlin Ballet time, her social media claque has not let up. Knowledgeable ballet aficionados see through the smoke.

I don’t care for pushy social-media-dependent ballerinas (Copeland, Stepanova & Kochetkova the worst). 

Edited by CharlieH
6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Stepanova is a fine poser but, in general, she is a robotic and self conscious mover. The bend of her upper body is extreme warping, with chest jutting out...as Makhalina used to do in the 1990s. Hands too big. The one Bolshoi prima who I avoid at all costs.

I’ll hand her one thing: since her Mariinsky choryphee days, into her Kremlin Ballet time, her social media claque has not let up. Knowledgeable ballet aficionados see through the smoke.

I don’t care for pushy social-media-dependent ballerinas (Copeland, Stepanova & Kochetkova the worst). 

It's a bit difficult for me to understand why some people take it personally when someone says Stepanova is a poser - I thought so too, and when I streamed a performance for my wife (who does not follow any ballet) to elicit an opinion she said "Quelle poseuse" !!  Other ballet lovers may have a totally different opinion, fine by me.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There is no monolithic entity of "knowledgeable ballet aficionados."  Knowledgeable people can disagree greatly.  The classic example is from opera: the Callas vs. Tebaldi vs. Milanov wars.  

Everyone has the right to decide what factors go into their appreciation (or not) of an artist and how/how much social media determines that opinion.  One man's "pushy" is another man's neutral or is another man's "candid" or "open" is another man's "I don't follow social media" or "Social media doesn't determine whom I've seen or would influence whom I would choose to see, given the chance."  (I'm in the last category.)  "Social-media-dependent" is arguable in itself and opens up a "chicken-or-egg?" discussion.  

I mostly follow companies for news, and, at most, a handful of dancers, so I have little personal investment, but I would never want to go back to the days where a very small number of people determined who was prominent in any media and who was ignored, who was pushed for mainstream media interviews and features, who was given the glossy photographs for signing at the stage door, etc.  I may not be their target demographics -- these differ greatly by dancer -- but they get to address their own demographic/fan base, and I find that a positive, even if zealous uber fans are unavoidable if any comments are allowed.