This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Karen Kain

Snow Flake

Snow Flake, Karen Kain just retired a few years ago, and was the principal (and much loved) ballerina of the National Ballet of Canada for many years. I'm sure our Canadian posters can tell you more.

She was a favorite of Nureyev's, even though she was quite tall, and she joined him on several of his "Nureyev and Friends" tours. She was a classical ballerina (the company favorite in "Sleeping Beauty" and "Swan Lake") but did dramatic roles as well.

There are also a couple of documentary videos with Kain as the subject, although the titles escape me at the moment.

I would agree with Juliet that "Movement Never Lies" is definitely worth a read. Kain's longtime partner at the National, Frank Augustyn, has also written his memoirs, which I haven't read yet.

Karen Kain appears in the video of Rudolph Nureyev's Sleeping Beauty ( Veronica Tennant as Aurora) in the Bluebird variations with Frank Augustyn- they won a silver medal at the Moscow IBC with this pdd I believe. Frank Augustyn's autobiography is called "Dancing from the Heart". I've read half of it, but to me, in terms of writing, Karen's autobiography is much better ( and her book has lovely colour photos as well). Currently, she is artistic associate for the National Ballet.

Karen Kain is my most favorite dancer of all time!! She is so wonderful to watch. I agree that its a shame that she is not known world wide. In Canada she is very well known. She had a long successful career here with NBOC!

One of her finest performances I'd say is in the ballet done by NBOC on her farewell tour called "The Actress". It's very interesting and she dances it wonderfully! :)

It's fun to read the Kain/Augustyn memoirs and compare accounts. Karen: I want to work at something until it's absolutely right. Frank: That's great, but my back is killing me from doing this lift a jillion times. (Both of them are united, however, in their praise of and gratitude to Nureyev.)

In addition to their dancing, both Karen Kain and Frank Augustyn are absolutely lovely people. Karen Kain is indeed a Canadian icon. Everyone in the country -- ballet fan or not -- knows who she is. Karen was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1977 and Frank Augustyn received the same honour in 1979. He, by the way, is presently, and has been for a few years, the director of the Dance Department at Adelphi University in Garden City, on Long Island, New York (my alma mater!).