This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who are those coaches in "Backstage @ the Kirov"?

Just wondering who some of the coaches are in "Backstage @ the Kirov".

In the beginning of the documentary, there is a very fiery lady wanting nothing less than perfection from the ballerinas. She is rehearsing them in the 'Swan's Waltz' from Act II of "Swan Lake" (or in the Kirov's case, Act 1 scene 2). Later in the film she is also rehearsing the 'Dance of little swans'.

There is another coach. In this case he is rehearsing the 'waltz of the prospective fiancees' from the ballroom scene of "Swan Lake", and a little later a modern number. He has a very big mole on his nose.

The other coach Im wondering about is rehearsing two dancers in a modern number, and the movements arent turning out quite right. He is a great big burly man with a beard. The dancers names are, from the conversation I picked up, are Petya (sounds more like a nickname) and Tatiana.

Who are these people?

Just wondering who some of the coaches are in "Backstage @ the Kirov".

In the beginning of the documentary, there is a very fiery lady wanting nothing less than perfection from the ballerinas. She is rehearsing them in the  'Swan's Waltz' from Act II of "Swan Lake" (or in the Kirov's case, Act 1 scene 2). Later in the film she is also rehearsing the 'Dance of little swans'.

There is another coach. In this case he is rehearsing the 'waltz of the prospective fiancees' from the ballroom scene of "Swan Lake", and a little later a modern number. He has a very big mole on his nose.

The other coach Im wondering about is rehearsing two dancers in a modern number, and the movements arent turning out quite right. He is a great big burly man with a beard. The dancers names are, from the conversation I picked up, are Petya (sounds more like a nickname) and Tatiana.

Who are these people?

Good questions! She was a tough drill sargeant. I can't guess who the man is. I do know that the two dancers in the modern ballet rehearsal are Pyotr Rusanov and Tatiana Ariskina. Two of the little swans are Elena Vorontsova, (now a company teacher), and Tamara Mirzhoyan (retired).

I enjoy this documentary a lot, but two moments were cringe-inducing:

One was Natalia Dudinskaya teaching the Vaganova students. Poor Veronika Ivanova gets a step wrong, and Natalia practically menaces her in front of everyone: "Veronika, WHAT WAS THAT STEP? Don't SHOW ME, TELL ME." Ivanova looks on the verge of tears.

Another moment was when Oleg Vinogradov berates a corps swan because her powder had fallen off during the performance. What was she supposed to do? Not sweat?

Ninel Kurgapkina can be seen coaching the girls, including Altynai Asylmuratova. So can Olga Moiseva.

Best moment in the documentary: after the voice-over about how important it is for dancers to take daily class, I love how Altynai matter of factly admits she doesnt like class at all. Hee.

Another moment was when Oleg Vinogradov berates a corps swan because her powder had fallen off during the performance. What was she supposed to do? Not sweat?

That's right Canbelto! :(! After he said that, he took a flame thrower to the entire corps (and their flawless) Act 2 shouting, " . . . ALL OF THE ENDINGS IN THE ADAGIO WERE LATE!" All of them? Uh no, not so. (On the contrary, Mezentseva took the pdd at tortoise pace. They had to follow her, therefore this really wasn't the corps' or Fedotov's fault. They had to wait forever for her to shape the next phrase. It's a testimony to their professionalism and

training that no one overbalanced. They should have filmed Altynai's Act 2. Another example of this tempo tampering would be Bessmertnova's clapping variation from Raymonda; see the Bolshoi DVD with Vasyuchenko).

In some of the documentaries during the 1980's Oleg Vinogradov really does come across as a jerk. In "Leningrad Legend" he gives this sob story about how he was threatened after he fired like 90 members of the Kirov Ballet. Uh, and you wonder why people aren't inviting you to parties???

I agree, Cygnet, that the Act 2 corps were flawless. Vinogradov was just trying to be nasty, I could tell.

What exactly happened that led Vinogradov to resign from the Kirov?

One of my favorite moments in that documentary is when Mezentseva is dancing Odette's Act II variation in full costume, onstage, with an orchestra, from the front, and then they cut to Asylmuratova, shown from behind, in a practice tutu, with a piano, dancing the same steps with about a thousand times more grace, sensitivity, and intelligence. I agree, Cygnet, they ought to have filmed her act II instead.

I also love Altynai's personality in this documentary. Very often I find ballerinas to be prematurely aged. Like they are all about work and discipline all the time. But Altynai actually seems much younger than her age (21). She's really giggly and admits she hates class and generally seems like she'd be fun to party with. I love how she seems to giggle her way through class and rehearsals. Very endearing. Later on she of course became a huge star but I hope she kept a little of that giggly and fun-loving nature.

One of my favorite moments in that documentary is when Mezentseva is dancing Odette's Act II variation in full costume, onstage, with an orchestra, from the front, and then they cut to Asylmuratova, shown from behind, in a practice tutu, with a piano, dancing the same steps with about a thousand times more grace, sensitivity, and intelligence.  I agree, Cygnet, they ought to have filmed her act II instead.

Hans,

That was exactly my reaction . Aslymuratova, as novice, seemed the one who had the idea of the flow, the overall phrasing and the direction it should go, while

Mezentseva seemed to break the phrases into small groups of steps.

It just seemed to be so odd to me, who is the "pro" and who is the "beginner"

I too would have liked an Act II with Altynai.

I know Mezenstseva is loved by many, and it's an opinion thing, but after all Mezentseva is well documented elsewhere.

Richard

Cygnet said -

"(Vinogradov Said at the end of a performance of "Swan Lake" act I/scene 2). . . ALL OF THE ENDINGS IN THE ADAGIO WERE LATE!" All of them? Uh no, not so. On the contrary, Mezentseva took the pdd at tortoise pace. They had to follow her, therefore this really wasn't the corps' or Fedotov's fault. They had to wait forever for her to shape the next phrase. It's a testimony to their professionalism and training that no one overbalanced."

I dont think that the scene of Vinogradov scolding the Corps de Ballet actually took place after the performance that is shown. It seems to me that the performance footage was filmed seperatly, most likely especially for those making the documentary, and the footage of after-performance/backstage-while-during-performance footage was filmed while a real live performance was taking place, but not during the performance that is shown in the documentary.

Alot of the camera work, particularly during the "Entrance of the Swans", and the scene where the 'Petite Cygnets' take their places for their pas is done right on stage with the dancers. If you look closely at the performance footage shown of Act II (or in the Kirov's case Act I scene 2) youll notice that you never see the conductor conducting in the pit - usually during filmed live performance you get glimpses of the conductor's baton, arms and hands going up and down, etc.

I just watched this documentary again tonight, and one of the coaches is definitely Ninel Kurgapkina. Also, the amazing blond turntop who does all those triples and double fouettes I couldnt recognize at first, but then I saw it was Tatiana Terekhova.

And I still felt sorry for poor Veronika Ivanova. Ivanova has bad luck on documentaries. In 'Leningrad Legend' you can see her rehearsing with Irina Kolpakova, who is being, as Natalia Makarova comments, "Cruel to be kind."

Oleg Vinogradov still makes my skin crawl, and I still love Altynai's admission that she hates class :D

indeed as pointed out by natalia the 'drill sargeant' of the corps de ballet is nina ukhova, listed as 'ballet mistress' in my '86 program and as noted still in the position nowadays.

i don't recognize either of the men focussed on; selutsky and semyonov are both seen in the film but the two men working in the studio, particularly the one working on his new ballet are not familiar. perhaps they didn't travel with the company when it toured, as ukhova did and thus had her name in english-language programs.

I don't remember this documentary, but by descriptions I can say that the man with the mole on his nose was Tahir Baltacheyev, very good character dancer and coach. And the choreographer with beard was, probably, Dmitry Bryantzev, the former AD od Stanislavsky Ballet in Moscow.