This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yes, as far as I know the only version of "Sylvia" in the POB's repertory is Neumeier's (created in 1997), which uses the same music by Delibes as the other versions.

I found this while looking for more information.

http://www.ballet.co.uk/dcforum/happening/4947.html

Scroll down to April 6 entry (recall that UK uses middle-endian date format):

POB have just filmed Sylvia - Neumeier version - and as well as filming Nureyev Swan Lake next year they will also film Jewels. Release ususally takes 12-18 months.

Nuryev SWAN LAKE and JEWELS? lots to look forward to.

-goro-

Wonderful news! Neumeier's Sylvia is not my favorite version but it does have a bold, sexy quality to it. ;) If French TV would only rebroadcast or make commercially-available the classical Lycette Darsonval staging with Noella Pontois. That's the best of the Sylvias, beside Ashton's, IMO....although I could do without Darsonval's crazy satyrs and goats romping about in furry pants! [Ashton has the cuter goats.]

Thanks to the powers that be for the people at POB. I'm watching their Sylphide now and I must say that they do such a good job of getting their material out there for us to see. The people at the RDB should take a lesson and at the very least give us the absolute must-haves of Bourneville's ballets.

I may get the Neumeier DVD, but I really would have been much more interested had the Royal Ballet or the ABT been taped (and taped well) with their recent Ashton Sylvias :angry2:

It's not like there are dozens of companies performing Sylvia, or three different versions on DVD, so that's why I think starting from the centre would have been a better idea.

But hey, any good ballet DVD is a plus.

I think it's too early to wish for that -- at least in terms of ABT. The big mistake with the Corsaire project, as one who's watched the company grow into it over a period of years, is that it was still too new when it was taped. There have been small changes to the production since then, the dancers understand it better, and it gels as a ballet these days -- well, almost -- which it did not when it was filmed.

I'd love to see an ABT video of Sylvia in two or three years.

The Royal Ballet/BBC usually do a telecast of an evening-length ballet during the holiday season. The next run of Sylvias at the ROH is set for December. The telecast will probably be one of those presentations. I predict that it will star Darcey Bussell, as (a) it's been a while since Bussell has headlined a national telecast, (b) she did a great job in her last Sylvia in Dec '04, and ( c ) she's the U.K.'s 'national treasure' of a ballerina.

Looks like TDK is releasing another Paris Opera Ballet DVD.  This time it's SYLVIA.  The Japanese R2 dvd is due out Oct 5, which prolly pegs the US R1 dvd for about January or so.

-goro-

There was also a fairly recent telecast from Budapest w/ the Sylvia, Ballet, Budapest, 5. Februar 2002, Weisz, Cseta, Juratsek, Hatala, Kerenyi; Jarmai

Reg+Choreographie: László Seregi.

I do hope that SFB will record there Morris version. It is wonderful.

There was also a recent telecast of Neurmeier's Death In Venice. A gorgeous ballet.

Ray

There are only 2 ballets that need to be on DVD more than anything - thats the Mariinsky reconstructions of "La Bayadere" and "Sleeping Beauty"!

Why is the POB always on DVD so much? Why doesnt the freakin Mariinksy do this? Gosh theyd make so much money! Id rather watch the Mariinksy over anyone else.

Why is the POB always on DVD so much? Why doesnt the freakin Mariinksy do this?

Well, I don't think that the POB can be considered as responsible for the Maryinsky's DVD policy... :rolleyes: And actually I regret that the POB released so few videos for a long time, as there are so many dancers (like Platel, Loudières, Maurin, Jude...) which appear in very few videos.

Why is the POB always on DVD so much? Why doesnt the freakin Mariinksy do this?

Well, I don't think that the POB can be considered as responsible for the Maryinsky's DVD policy... And actually I regret that the POB released so few videos for a long time, as there are so many dancers (like Platel, Loudières, Maurin, Jude...) which appear in very few videos.

Dang, I thought that the POB was responsible for the Kirov's DVD policy.

Yes I would ove to see thosse dancers as well.