This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty Review in NY Times

I didn't see the performance, so I can't comment on the review, but I can't imagine a dancer I'd consider wasted as Florine. I consider it a major role; Makarova danced it. In fact, gave an interview when ABT got "Sleeping Beauty" in which she said she was more Florine than Aurora. I wondered if Fairchild, at present, might not be too light for Florine.

I also agree that Florine is an important role. This season I saw Leticia Oliveira, a soloist with HB, dance the part. She would also make a nice Aurora, although she wasn't cast in it this time (don't know if she ever danced it). Oliveira is one of the most technically accomplished in the company and one of the favorites here, and I definitely did not think she was being "wasted" as Florise.

I think Florine, or Bluebird Princess as she is sometimes called, is a ballerina role. it's often been alternated with Aurora (Sibley, Park, Jenner, Benjamin, Tapper I think, to name a few Royal ballerinas who have done both regularly) in almost the same way that Dewdrop and Sugar Plum are often done at NYCB. Florine is certainly demanding enough technically. Perhaps that reviewer isn't aware of the history of the role? :)

I was puzzled by the "wasted as Florine" comment, too. It wasn't a long review, and maybe Dunning didn't have enough space to elucidate. However, the "so-and-so was wasted as thus-and-such" construction, a familiar one, generally means what Alexandra says – that the role isn't big enough or good enough. Clearly wrong in this case – it's not like giving Fairchild a walk-on as the maid, which is the impression I'd get from this if I wasn't familiar with the ballet.

I am so glad to have read the earlier comments....I just read the article in the 'Times' and wondered what had gotten into Dunning. My favorite Florine has always been Alicia Alonso, who performed the role when she was also doing Giselle and Odette. The beauty of her performance is that she danced like a regal classical ballerina---it's not all cutesy-ville. Doesn't Dunning know that this is a prize ballerina role----when Sadler's Wells performed 'Beauty' on their first visit to NY, Moira Shearer was the Princess Florine, and she was at the height of her popularity--having just filmed 'Red Shoes'. :)

Isn't it fun? we're probably putting more thought into this than the reviewer did when he wrote the piece.

Perhaps this wasn't Dunning's concluding sentence, and the piece was cut at the bottom, as is usual in newspapers.

However, I think it makes sense to look a the previous sentence, which says the De Luz Bluebird wasn't a complete success. The funny things of the Bluebird pdd is, of course, it's one of the few times in classical ballet the man outshines the girl. And in this case, perhaps, Fairchild's talents were wasted (according to Dunning) in that she had to play second fiddle to a not entirely confident De Luz.

Herman