• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 12:08 AM

I scan them into my computer and when they reach 600MB, I burn them into CDs in chronological order. Each CD is then indexed into Excel file. For all the newspaper reviews and articles, I'd go to their website and save them as Word files which will eventually archived into CDs and DVDs(after I get a DVD burner). I do the same for all my credit card, bank and investment statements. I almost have a paper-free household.

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 12:59 AM

What a terrific idea!

#18 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 02:41 AM

And the CDs ought to be searchable, so it also solves the problem Cargill mentioned.

#19 bobsey

bobsey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 08:03 AM

I've put everything on a database, including videos, although the size is not formidable at this point. Some of the old stuff is in Russian, and how do you alphabetize Cyrillic?

#20 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:37 PM

I, too, have kept everything - and although I go to performances fairly rarely these days, I have programs going back to 1960 (only because I lost some earlier ones). I now have the problem of doing "something" with them, because my co-op is cleaning out our basement storeroom. The official "rule" is that EMPTY suitcases may be stored there but nothing else. Well, I have a gigantic steamer trunk packed with programs PLUS two filing cabinets full of them. In addition to ballet programs, I have opera and concert programs as well. The Old Met programs were large and flat and so didn't take up as much "stacking" room, but the playbills are just too fat. For a period of time I would save one whole program from each calendar month and stick the cast list from the others into that one. It's still far, far too many. I think I shall go the scanning route. What an enormous project that will be! However, some of my programs have been autographed, and I guess I shall have to keep those. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. And I have several boxes full in my apt....

As someone else said: I would NEVER in a million years be able to put my hand on a specific program - except some of the very old ones.

Librarians: do libraries like old, autographed programs - eg. the RB Swan Lake, 1965, Fonteyn/Nureyev (it was the only one they did together in NY that year)??

#21 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 06:15 PM

Greetings from the lost Collier sister. Books, clippings, programs, photos, you name it....I am entranced by the entry with a spare bedroom. Please send one. All that scanning sounds excellent, but time consuming. Not that scrabbling around in storage boxes isn't. I have years and years of press kits, too. What a mess.

#22 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 09:14 AM

Ah-h-h...old programs--a very touchy subject for me. About 15 years ago I moved to a smaller house and something had to go...old programs dating back to the 40's--a complete collection of Richard Buckle's magazine, "Ballet"---a book of Gordon Anthony's Camera Studies and others too painful to remember. (I sold them to the Ballet Shop in NYC)

I have tried to make up for my rash decision by adding 50 books to my present collection.

#23 colwill

colwill

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 10:26 AM

I used to collect programmes from every performance including many duplicates when I attended repeat performances by a company. However these started to fill my available storage location so I compromised and now collect only the list of performers and staple my ticket to the list. The pile of programmes I gave to our local ballet school where they were seized with enthusiasm by the younger students.

#24 K2356

K2356

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 09:59 AM

I am making a collection of a NYC-Ballet and American Ballet Theater programs,i live in Detroit,MI. and the New York Theater programs
are not very common in garage sales and bazaars,
here in Michigan.
Would anybody be interested in selling or maybe
giving me their old extra NYCB & ABT programs? I
will make a collection for myself and create a
second collection to give to the Maggie Allesee
Dance Book Collection at Purdy Library,Wayne State University here in my home city Detroit.

RegardS KEVIN

#25 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:13 PM

Oh, Kevin. You came to exactly the right place!
Come one, come all--you know you don't all need *two* copies......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):