This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Changing Tastes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 06:44 PM

Story ballets used to bore me to tears when I was very young. Not enough dancing, too much "silent movie" stuff. (Now I would make the opposite complaint.)

When I was in high school I thought Henry Miller was a great writer.

#17 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 11:14 PM

I thought of Balanchine ballets as "modern" dance when I was little- all of those leotards and tights- no tutus!! I only wanted to dance "classical" ballets- and I loved all of the story ballets. Now- I still love the story ballets, but I've grown up into a Balanchine dancer- or at least a dancer in a Balanchine company. Ironic, isn't it?

#18 samba38

samba38

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 02:26 PM

One good reason to give a living choreographer time is so that he/she might give you better ballets with age/wisdom/experience. I see even Peter Martins is getting better reviews, in general, these days. (Perhaps hundreds of early Balanchine ballets are dead for good reason, too.) And sometimes it's not the cheorgrapher's flaw but the companies you've seen. Watching the corps in the Royal Ballet with their marvelous precision and their dramatic contribution to the work made clear to me why I have come to hate the happy-villagers-mill-around mess that I've seen way too often with ABT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):