21 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 02:43 PM

If the names of Mr. and Mrs. Moon are in the program as "Founders and Patrons," I would think that's sufficient as a tipoff. The company isn't obliged to put a big "FUNDED BY MOONIE MONEY" banner across the page. If people are interested in the company, they'll find out soon enough.

Normally any discussion of religion where the discussion may lead to someone taking offense makes me run faster than Marion Jones, but I cannot resist observing that Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism have achieved enough respectability after a thousand years or so not to require putting forth the more exotic public relations efforts that less established religions do. (I do not mean to suggest that the Universal Church is not a scam -- it might very well be, I don't know. But if we query the claims of a sect because of homophobia and pretensions to Messiah-dom, we're ruling out some pretty well-established faiths, are we not?) I will now follow Jeannie's wise course and withdraw from this aspect of the discussion........

#17 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 05:24 PM

Hearsay is an interesting and dangerous thing.

While not the topic of this discussion,

"and how a certain behavior is expected from the Kirov students.You know-cults do pass on certain expectations."

I will interject briefly that several years of direct and frequent observation would lead me to conclude that a certain behaviour is indeed expected of Kirov students. It is exactly the same behaviour that is expected at other professional residency programs, (The matter of food service is the only one which would lead to major deviation, and that doesn't have anything to do with cults.)

I am familiar with the neverending, occasionally hysterical, discussions about this religious group on other sites, and I would still maintain: if you don't want to go to a performance because you feel that you are thereby directly supporting an organization with which you disagree, don't go. Quite simple.

I never quite understand the violence of the opposition....we do have a choice in this country.

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 05:26 PM

Look at it this way - maybe the Rev. Mr. & Mrs. Moon aren't funding the ballet company out of the church - maybe they're funding it out of the shotgun money. Seems Moon holds the Korean monopoly on shotgun manufacture. That's where he got his seed money to start everything else. Must come in handy at all those mass weddings! ;)

#19 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 05:42 PM

And while our attention is distracted by the flamboyant Rev. Moon, the Phillip Morris Company, a real merchant of death, continues to bring us culture.

Not that I boycott performances sponsored by or companies supported by Phillip Morris, being happy to sup with the devil if it includes ballet.

The multi-national company of years ago has become the global entity of today and their reach is quite astonishing. In this case the product they manufacture and distribute causes illness and death when used properly. Which, according to them, is not necessarily a bad thing.

[url="http://"http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010726/ts/tobacco_deaths.html"]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010726/t...cco_deaths.html[/url]

The main point the referenced study makes is that early deathes caused by smoking may benefit a country--in this case the Czech Republic--because increased health care costs will be more than offset by lower payments for housing and pensions.

Ed Waffle
ewaffle@hotmail.com

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Ed Waffle ]

#20 eugene

eugene

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 07:37 AM

I agree that boycotting a ballet should be a matter of personal concious - ie the Cuban emigre who will not watch the Cuban Ballet. And of course there are extremes cases where a boycott maybe wholly appropriate.

I remember seeing Spaticus which is clearly a crude work of Soviet propaganda. I certainly would not have seen that ballet during the 1980s but now things have change (but the ballet is pretty dire notwithstanding) :confused:

#21 Steve Keeley

Steve Keeley

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 02:14 AM

There's a short article about the Universal Ballet in Sunday's New York Times. At the end of the article, the subject of sponsorship comes up:

Mr. Vinogradov dismisses any notoriety that the company may have received because of its ties to the Moon church, saying his only concern is with his art and that art, not religion, drives the company's policy and profile. Ms. Moon backs him in this assertion. She is the sole dancer who belongs to the church, while the administrative staff, headed by her father, Dr. Bo Hi Pak, one of Rev. Moon's right-hand men, is about half and half.

"Art needs money to be beautiful," Mr. Vinogradov says with a pragmatic shrug of the shoulders. "What difference if it is from Mercedes or Philip Morris?"  

~Steve

#22 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 03:08 AM

I can see why Vinogradov might take that view, but if by some mischance I had a relative who died of lung cancer because she believed Philip Morris' assertions that its products caused no harm, I might just say, the hell with the art....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):