This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

If You Could Buy Just One Ballet Video....

For me it would have to be Anne Belle's "Dancing For Mr. B" - I love seeing and hearing all those great NYCB ballerinas talk about their roles, careers and Balanchine! Also, there are some really unique performance clips in it (where else am I going to get to see Allegra Kent??)

If we are talking about strictly "performance" videos, it would have to be "ABT at the Met" (I always enjoy a mixed bill) and that video has a little bit of everything on it!

There are 2 ABT 'Live from Lincoln Center' ballets I'd love to have. One is Makarova's full length 'La Bayadere' with her as Nikiya and Dowell as Solor from the early 1980's. Makarova injured herself in the poisoning scene and coulnd't continue with the rest of the performance. Mariana Tcherkassky took her place and danced beautifully in the Shades scene and the ballet's final scene.

The other ballet is ABT's 'Romeo & Juliet' with Makarova and Kevin McKenzie.

Also on my wish list would be Farrell/Martins and the NYCB in 'Allegro Brilliante' on Dance in America.

wondering:

JS: are you saying that the balanchine 'nutcracker' from 1958/playhouse90 is now commercially available or that it heads your most wishful 'wish list'?

and yes, melissa's comment about pbs shows aired but not put out commercially reminds one of the things that still need to be 'put out there'.

re: the 'allegro b.' it's a case of so near, yet so far, as the 'dance in america' that included the 'allegro' in question, was released EXCEPT for the 'allegro' segment itself, due, rumor has it, to the fact that nonesuch could not obtain releases from the lead(s) documented in the taping. (a similar situation prevented the 'dance in america' that included 'jewels' excerpts from including the 'rubies' pas de deux).

so many telecasts; so few commercial releases!

regarding the initial query posted here for ONE video tape, i guess i'd have to say i have no idea where i'd begin, so i won't even start the process of elimination.

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: rg ]

Originally posted by rg:

wondering:

JS: are you saying that the balanchine 'nutcracker' from 1958/playhouse90 is now commercially available

I wish! I saw it years ago. If they ever release it (they won't, I'm sure; as I recall, it was black and white and not up to today's video standards), I'll be the first in line.

re: Balanchine in NUTCRACKER from 1958, as the clips revealed at the 'Dance for a City: NYCB' exhibit at NY Historical society not that long ago, the kinescoping (if this is a word) of the NUTCRACKER was in 'living color' -- pale-looking nowadays, but color nevertheless. the reason one automatically assumes it was only black&white, as i assumed, comes from the fact that most television sets getting the original telecast were only B&W, so the color didn't reveal itself. but the hues are there on CBS's archive tape. wonder how many homes had color sets way back then.

I would say that version of Swan Lake that was on "Live From Lincoln Center" with the NYCB a few years ago. It was just stunning!

Is it possible to see the 1958 Nutcracker? I would love to get a chance to see Balanchine actualy performing the role of Drosselmeier, and see the choreography as it was then.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Auvi ]

if you make it up to new york, you can see it at the library for the performing arts, which has just moved back to its digs at lincoln center. although i can recognize some of the choreography, methinks a lot was changed to accommodate the restrictions of the space they were filming in. mr. b makes a great drosselmeyer!

I am finding that some of the desirable videos are "special order" at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Any suggestions for other sources that might arrive before Christmas?

Also, I am trying to decide between two Balanchine selections : Balanchine Selection from Jewels with Suzanne Farrell and Peter Martins and includes Violin Concerto with Kay Mazzo or a triple bill video: Tzigane; Divertimento #15; and the Four Temperaments this also included S. Farrell, Peter Martins, Adam Luders, to name a few. Suggestions?

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: tendumom ]

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: tendumom ]