Why is Rothbart turning maidens into swans?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

the loose-hair look pertained in 1895 for the swan maiden ensemble as well as for ivanov's snowflakes in '92.
the 'bun head' is a later, rote, detail.

and the costumes are lovely too!! :) ...for what i can see they were also simple, soft and loose, so no stiff tutus ah?...(kind of TPDD alike)
Thank you so much Mr. R.G for this valuable information!

#47 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

The engraving seems to be an artist's interpretation. I found this photo from the original 1877 staging, and the costume is most definitely not loose, flowing, diaphanous chiffon.

#48 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

The engraving seems to be an artist's interpretation. I found this photo from the original 1877 staging, and the costume is most definitely not loose, flowing, diaphanous chiffon.

I was wondering that myself (whether the image was a real depiction of the production, or an artist's interpretation of the concept) so thanks for answering that question.

Furthermore, with all the debate about how Swan-like the dancers should be, it is quite interesting to see that the 1877 production included WINGS on the costume!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):