• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#196 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

I don't see why walking down the hallway in ballet shoes is banned. I'd imagine that it's convenient for students to run from class to class in ballet shoes. 

#197 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I don't think it's an entirely off-the-wall idea. It would help keep the shoes cleaner and in good working order for longer. For all we know slipping on a pair of booties over top may be sufficient to satisfy the rule.

#198 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

It probably tracks dirt in to the studios and wrecks the floors. I don't know what they put on the sidewalks in Russia, but here a mixture of salt and sand would come in on the boots and then be tracked from the hallways into the studios via the ballet slippers... Such a rule does not seem odd.

#199 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

I just don't really like the tone of the article which seemed to imply that under Dorofeeva and Asylmuratova, kids were allowed to run wild and skip classes and now Tsiskaridze is putting the discipline back in the school. I doubt this was the case. What I do believe is that Asylmuratova was maybe more "student centered" in her approach. I don't see anything wrong with telling the kids it's okay to go home if they're very tired after a long rehearsal or performance or occasionally ignoring the shoes rule. Kids are kids.

#200 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

I agree with you Canbelto. However, I'm not surprised by the tone of this short article; it has the slight whiff of

misogyny lingering in it as well.  I was expecting some kind of progress report.  His P.R. machine never stops. 

#201 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

The hallways in Vaganova Academy are highly waxed wooden floors although I have noticed in photos that they have now laid some area rugs. Wax gets on the ballet slippers, pointe shoes and street shoes making the new marley/limoleum floors and wooden floors (if there are any left) very, very slippery.  It can be quite dangerous. Marley/linoleum floors and street shoes are not made for one another when it comes to dance. When I was in Vaganova Academy, almost 20 years ago, Belsky/Nadirov/Dorofeeva were at the helm, as is the Russian custom, one wore different shoes inside than outside. One carried a pair of slippers for inside wear. In the case of the students, they wore slippers as well in the hallways. This is only an old/new rule. All dancers must learn that wax and ballet slipper or pointe shoes are not a good combination.

It is good to read that the students are required to go to their academic classes now, as this was not the case in my two years studying in the school. While I am not a support of Mr. Tsiskaridze overall for Vaganova Academy, these changes have their merit.

#202 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,156 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Ismene Brown has published a translation of a transcript of a very long interview with Tsiskaridze on his new job and other subjects:

http://www.ismeneb.c...role_model.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):