201 replies to this topic

#166 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

Alberich was always an honest chap, though, and Wotan's one overriding quality is his ability to lie to himself constantly.

#167 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Alberich was always an honest chap, though, and Wotan's one overriding quality is his ability to lie to himself constantly.

Alberich is honest about what he wants and his greed. True. I still think it would be great for one of the Regietheater directors to dress up Alberich looking like Gergiev. That's how I feel since Gergiev's greed for power seems very open at this point. 

#168 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

More from Ismene Brown's blog:

Tsiskaridze may unite Petersburg and Moscow ballet ‘schools’, says Minister

This article also discusses names two rivals for the Rector position:  Yuri Fateev and Vaganova Academy teacher and pro-Rector Alexei Fomkin. 

Ministry 'may try to obstruct' Tsiskaridze rivals

Key points:  Fateev is not mentioned as a rival, but Ilya Kuznetzov is.  The Ministry's strategy is alleged to be to add requirements that none of Tsiskaridze's rivals can match, which is usually done before announcing a candidate, but is a time-tested way to ensure a single candidate.

The date of the confirmation vote will be announced at the next Academic Council meeting, which is expected to be held by the end of the month.  The vote is expected within two-three months, and in Brown's intro, she notes there are 300 voters, only one third of whom are dance faculty.

#169 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well, there's a bad idea.

#170 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Well, there's a bad idea.

Dreadful, but reading through Brown's blog, it sounded as if the Minister didn't mean (or intend to mean) much of anything, but was just trying to come up with some pro-Tsiskaridze formula to the effect that Tsiskaridze could be a bridge figure given his own training by Petersburg teachers, therefore the Petersburg style wasn't under threat blah blah.  On the other hand, even if that way of reading the remarks turned out to be correct--I'm not confident of my ability to read anything in this situation--the Minister's tin ear and really spectacular display of ignorance is...well...astounding.

#171 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

It could be step one for Gergiev to combine management of the Bolshoi and Mariinsky.  That was rejected once, but it may have been timing or a shift of power among the well-connected supporters.

#172 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Ha sandik )))))

and Drew ["the Minister's tin ear and really spectacular display of ignorance is...well...astounding."] YES. This.

___

Yesterday here in Saint Petersburg at 2 p.m. on Ligovsky Prospekt Rosbalt hosted a press conference organized by the petitioners for ...perhaps I will call them the petitioners for fairness and democracy. In attendance were Kuznetsov, Igor Kolb, Anton Korsakov (also proposed as a candidate in fact), Yuri Smekalov and Fomkin along with pedagogues from the Academy. The candidates spoke and part of the conference is recorded on youtube (without visual but with audio) for those who understand Russian.

It is impressive that the group has rallied press support> the petition is reaching 1000 signatures but we need 10 times more than that to take it to the Duma. I'm praying that the more press attention this gets, the less likely a long-term disastrous outcome will be.

#173 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

More at day's end. 

First, the good news: Fomkin met with Gergiev in a productive meeting and sources say he is not in support of Tsiskaridze leading up the Academy. His (Gergiev's) main grievance was the "distance" of the Academy from the theatre, he claimed. Tsiskaridze heading up the academy will only widen that gap.

Second, the bad news: The Ministry of Culture has announced suddenly that it will be running a financial/administrative audit of the Academy due to violations. (Unclear what violations, when, how, or why). Propaganda at its best to perpetuate the drama? Unbelievable.

#174 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

Lord, at this point, I suppose sky is the limit. I want to say, "it would depend on the legal situation" but apparently nothing is based on that here anymore. In the article they note that the audit also involves "educational" processes. How can the Ministry of Culture audit the way a 275 year old ballet academy teaches its own students, I'd like to know?

Financial audits are obviously more black-and-white. If they find missing funds, yes, I'm sure someone will be charged. Then the irony is why aren't people responsible for building billion dollar Costco theatres also being audited? ahem. We'd have a quick list of jail applicants in that case...

The fact that none of the rectors were given employment contracts however, is a reflection on the MINISTRY and not on the administration of the Academy. So I honestly do not know what they plan to "find" in this audit.

Between that and the "idea to unify" the schools, I....have no more words.

#175 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

Then the irony is why aren't people responsible for building billion dollar Costco theatres also being audited? ahem. We'd have a quick list of jail applicants in that case...

What and where is a Costco theater?

#176 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

(Oh - I meant the MT2. Someone called it Costco bc it resembles the square-box form of Costco...)

#177 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Lord, at this point, I suppose sky is the limit. I want to say, "it would depend on the legal situation" but apparently nothing is based on that here anymore. In the article they note that the audit also involves "educational" processes. How can the Ministry of Culture audit the way a 275 year old ballet academy teaches its own students, I'd like to know?

Financial audits are obviously more black-and-white. If they find missing funds, yes, I'm sure someone will be charged. Then the irony is why aren't people responsible for building billion dollar Costco theatres also being audited? ahem. We'd have a quick list of jail applicants in that case...

The fact that none of the rectors were given employment contracts however, is a reflection on the MINISTRY and not on the administration of the Academy. So I honestly do not know what they plan to "find" in this audit.

Between that and the "idea to unify" the schools, I....have no more words.

1. How does a lack of employment contract lead to the conclusion that one may not find anything in a financial audit?  Even if a contract were determinative of a specific issue related to employment, a range of issues would still be subject to audit related to the contract, and a larger range of issues would be subject to audit unrelated to the contract, unless the audit were limited in scope.

2. Financial audits are not necessarily black and white.  Accountants make projections and assumptions that are subjective.  Methods of accounting are also subject to the accountant's judgment, within a range of standards.

3. If AA ran the educational docket and DV ran the budget, then why would AA have to run away, Birdsall? Also, what about DV?

4. Why the pressing agenda to unify the schools and the theatres? Is it for greater access to larger budgets and greater power over more supplicants? Or to standardize outputs? Or both?

5. Why do London, NY, and other orchestras need Gergiev? 

6. Is the word audit used in a nonfinancial setting in Russia, to mean an internal investigation of other behaviors?

#178 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

(Oh - I meant the MT2. Someone called it Costco bc it resembles the square-box form of Costco...)

You were not referring to the Bolshoi reno, too?

#179 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

You were not referring to the Bolshoi reno, too?

Personally I was not, no...I dont think the Bolshoi reno qualifies as costco bc at least there is form to the building...

#180 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

2. Financial audits are not necessarily black and white.  Accountants make projections and assumptions that are subjective.  Methods of accounting are also subject to the accountant's judgment, within a range of standards.

3. If AA ran the educational docket and DV ran the budget, then why would AA have to run away, Birdsall? Also, what about DV?

4. Why the pressing agenda to unify the schools and the theatres? Is it for greater access to larger budgets and greater power over more supplicants? Or to standardize outputs? Or both?

5. Why do London, NY, and other orchestras need Gergiev? 

6. Is the word audit used in a nonfinancial setting in Russia, to mean an internal investigation of other behaviors?

6. Yes in this case that is how the article sounded.
5. They don't IMHO

4. Bc the Min of Culture is an idiot. But from a PRACTICAL standpoint the only reason i can think of is that it would give more "power" to whomever heads this new entity up. The money won't necessarily be larger...unless you consider one person ruling a $10 budget in city A, and one person ruling a $10 budget in city B, each only manage $10. But if the city structures are combined, and the budget is now $20, then one person gets to manage $20.... But I still dont see the economic advantage there bc the institutions must still be run in a functional manner (therefore said person cannot just pocket $20). So to answer your question - no one knows!
3. Will let birdsall answer.
2. Right but if the books do not add up, and money is missing, that's pretty black and white.
1. Lack of employment contracts have zero to do with a financial audit. But they have to do with an administrative audit. Why weren't the human resources files filled? The answer is bc the Min Culture did not provide the required documents. My point is  - that is not the Academy's fault as far as I can tell. You can ask the MinCul for the documents. Whether they provide them or not is up to them...

Just to recap, the audit is all encompassing: administrative/financial/educational. Its not just financial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):