This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#331 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Gorak seems too short.  This role requires someone tall and imposing.

#332 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Gorak seems a bit diminutive for this role, and not capable of being sinister, but anything is possible.

#333 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

If height is a requirement for von Rothbart, it didn't prevent ABT from casting Vasiliev in the role.  (Not that that was a success.......)

#334 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

If height is a requirement for von Rothbart, it didn't prevent ABT from casting Vasiliev in the role.  (Not that that was a success.......)

Exactly, and he looked completely silly in the costume, because they kept those high boots on his rather short stocky legs.  Not attractive.

#335 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

But, a major snafu is the link on ABT's website page promoting Smirnova's debut that is supposed to take you to a performance clip of her in Bayadere is now blocked by the video's owner as private, unless the owner has granted you access:  http://www.abt.org/smirnova.asp.  Seriously ABT?  You don't make sure the clip is for public use or that you have the rights to it before posting it?  Tacky.  Perhaps this is ballet karma.  ABT won't allow their performances to be taped and in return they can't distribute a clip of one of their biggest guest artists.  

I realize taping performance and creating DVD's isn't cheap, but it's an investment that is not only important for the company's posterity, it's important for its dancers, for teaching/coaching, for the current audience, and for future audiences.  Don't they realize how important social media is?  That it's crucial nowadays in order to draw in more people and sell more tickets?  Look at all of the performance links and videos on NYCB's website.  With the number of retirements and resignations happening at the end of the Met Season, it's sad to think that we'll have no record of those dancers.  Herrera is retiring next year and Kent and Reyes can't be too far behind.  Gomes is one of ballet's most important male dancers.  Do they not see the importance of capturing him on video while he's still in his prime?  

So many things about this company are baffling me.

#336 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

[Admin beanie on]

Unless blogs are by ballet professionals (ex: Tobi Tobias, Deborah Jowitt, dancers, companies), please no linking to them on BA!

[Admin beanie off]

#337 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

A note about the June 9th "Cinderella" premiere.  Corey Stearns seems to be out of the run but hopefully not because of lingering injury.  James Whiteside has been moved from partnering Xiomara Reyes to partnering Hee Seo on the opening night premiere.  Joseph Gorak has been tapped to be Ms. Reyes' Prince Charming - someone has been reading these pages about the unhealthy number of guest performers and the lack of opportunities for talented up and comers in the corps and soloist ranks.  Stearns as of now is still scheduled to dance in "Manon" the week before and "Giselle" and "Swan Lake" later in June.

#338 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:22 AM

A note about the June 9th "Cinderella" premiere.  Corey Stearns seems to be out of the run but hopefully not because of lingering injury.  James Whiteside has been moved from partnering Xiomara Reyes to partnering Hee Seo on the opening night premiere.  Joseph Gorak has been tapped to be Ms. Reyes' Prince Charming - someone has been reading these pages about the unhealthy number of guest performers and the lack of opportunities for talented up and comers in the corps and soloist ranks.  Stearns as of now is still scheduled to dance in "Manon" the week before and "Giselle" and "Swan Lake" later in June.

Do we know if Cory has danced the Ashton elsewhere?  My guess would be that his injury has healed sufficiently to allow him to dance Manon but that he has lost necessary rehearsal time to learn the Cinderella role sufficiently.

#339 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

Casting for the remaining weeks:

FIFTH WEEK

Mon. Eve., June 9, 7:30 P.M.        CINDERELLA (Company Premiere) – Seo, Whiteside, Part

Tues. Eve., June 10, 7:30 P.M.            CINDERELLA – Kent+, Gomes+, Abrera+

Wed. Mat., June 11, 2 P.M.           CINDERELLA – Seo, Whiteside, Part

Wed. Eve., June 11, 7:30 P.M.       CINDERELLA – Reyes+, Gorak+,Teuscher+

Thurs. Eve., June 12, 7:30 P.M.           CINDERELLA – Murphy+, Hallberg+, Part

Fri. Eve., June 13, 7:30 P.M.         CINDERELLA – Kent, Gomes, Abrera                 

Sat. Mat., June 14, 2 P.M.              CINDERELLA – Reyes, Gorak, Teuscher 

Sat. Eve., June 14, 8 P.M.              CINDERELLA – Murphy, Hallberg, Abrera

SIXTH WEEK

Mon. Eve., June 16, 7:30 P.M.            GISELLE – Vishneva, Gomes, Murphy

Tues. Eve., June 17, 7:30 P.M.            GISELLE – Semionova++, Hallberg, Part

Wed. Mat., June 18, 2 P.M.           GISELLE – Boylston+++, Whiteside+++, Teuscher

Wed. Eve., June 18, 7:30 P.M.       GISELLE – Kent, Bolle, Abrera

Thurs. Eve., June 19, 7:30 P.M.           GISELLE – Reyes, Matthews,+++ Watson**+++

Fri. Eve., June 20, 7:30 P.M.         GISELLE – Herrera, Stearns, Part

Sat. Mat., June 21, 2 P.M.              GISELLE – Seo, Hammoudi+, Teuscher

Sat. Eve., June 21, 8 P.M.              GISELLE – Cojocaru, Cornejo, Abrera

** Exchange Artist

+Editors please note first time in a role:

Tues. June 10 – Kent (Cinderella), Gomes (The Prince), Abrera (Fairy Godmother) in Cinderella

Wed Eve., June 11 – Reyes (Cinderella), Gorak (The Prince), Teuscher (Fairy Godmother) in Cinderella

Thurs., June 12 – Murphy (Cinderella), Hallberg (The Prince) in Cinderella

Sat. Mat., June 21 – Hammoudi (Albrecht) in Giselle

++Editors please note first time in a role with ABT

Tues., June 17 – Semionova (Giselle) in Giselle

+++Editors please note first time in a role in New York:

Wed. Mat., June 18 – Boylston (Giselle), Whiteside (Albrecht) in Giselle

Thurs., June 19 – Matthews (Albrecht), Watson (Myrta) in Giselle

#340 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

After seeing his superb Solor I was looking forward to seeing Whiteside in Cinderella.  That being said, I think it will be a good role for Gorak.  I really want to see Gorak get bigger parts at ABT and move up to soloist and then who knows? I'll let you know after I see the June 14th matinee.  On the subject of the good looking von Rothbart I don't the dancer needs to be tall but he does to be imposing and menancing.  I saw Cory Stearns in this role a couple of times and he was not at all imposing.  Cory often reminds reminds me of a puppy dog if that makes sense.  He was a wonderful Prince Desire in Sleeping Beauty and though I've never seen him in the role I can see him as Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake.  But in no way is Cory a good villain (in my opinion anyway).

#341 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

After seeing his superb Solor I was looking forward to seeing Whiteside in Cinderella.  That being said, I think it will be a good role for Gorak.  I really want to see Gorak get bigger parts at ABT and move up to soloist and then who knows? I'll let you know after I see the June 14th matinee.  On the subject of the good looking von Rothbart I don't the dancer needs to be tall but he does to be imposing and menancing.  I saw Cory Stearns in this role a couple of times and he was not at all imposing.  Cory often reminds reminds me of a puppy dog if that makes sense.  He was a wonderful Prince Desire in Sleeping Beauty and though I've never seen him in the role I can see him as Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake.  But in no way is Cory a good villain (in my opinion anyway).

I think he was reasonably successful as the villain/Iago in the Moor's Pavane, but perhaps that choreography helped him to find the inner bad guy...

#342 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

I thought Stearns was an excellent Iago in Moor's Pavane last fall.  I haven't seen him as von Rothbart but I'm surprised to hear that he was not so great apparently.  He did have the magnificent Roman Zhurbin to play opposite in Pavane; maybe he needs the tug-of-war dynamic to turn him into a bad guy.

#343 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Dale: I was just looking on ABT's site and on the eve performance of June 14 it has Abrera listed as Cinderella, followed by Murphy (presumably for the Fairy Godmother) and then Hallberg.  http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=6/1/2014 

(The order is out of whack - for the other Cinderella performances it always lists Cinderella first followed by The Prince and then the Fairy Godmother.)

I got excited thinking Abrera was given a Cinderella but then I read your casting list and you have Abrera listed as F.G.  Is the order on ABT's site more out of whack than I thought, meaning Abrera isn't cast as Cinderella?   :(

#344 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Dale: I was just looking on ABT's site and on the eve performance of June 14 it has Abrera listed as Cinderella, followed by Murphy (presumably for the Fairy Godmother) and then Hallberg.  http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=6/1/2014 

(The order is out of whack - for the other Cinderella performances it always lists Cinderella first followed by The Prince and then the Fairy Godmother.)

I got excited thinking Abrera was given a Cinderella but then I read your casting list and you have Abrera listed as F.G.  Is the order on ABT's site more out of whack than I thought, meaning Abrera isn't cast as Cinderella?   sad.png

I'm guessing that when someone went in to add "Abrera" they just accidentally entered it first on that list, instead of last like on the others.  Murphy and Hallberg were previously listed in the same order before Abrera was added.

#345 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

That's what I was afraid of.  Darn it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):