This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 Met Season

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#316 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

Can someone who was there tonight please tell me the order of the program? Is T&V first?

I am getting worried about ABT. It would be terrible to see them go the way of City Opera.

#317 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

THEME AND VARIATIONS pause DUO CONCERTANTE intermission GAITE PARISIENNE

#318 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Thank you! I may be making a "plaza dash" at intermission tomorrow!

#319 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

I am getting worried about ABT. It would be terrible to see them go the way of City Opera.

Seriously, a couple of cast changes and the whole company will go kaput?

#320 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

I am keeping my fingers crossed, Gillian is still listed as Gamzatti tomorrow. Vishneva, Murphy, Gomes - it's the first of the many dream casts for the upcoming Bayadere run.

#321 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thank you! I may be making a "plaza dash" at intermission tomorrow!

Heh, good luck! smile.png The one time I tried that, crossing to the State Theater after Apollo and Bruch Violin Concerto #1, NYCB had switched the program order, and instead of T&V I saw that interminable Martins/Schubert thing. yucky.gif

#322 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

I am keeping my fingers crossed, Gillian is still listed as Gamzatti tomorrow. Vishneva, Murphy, Gomes - it's the first of the many dream casts for the upcoming Bayadere run.

I checked Murphy's twitter page.  She says that she's ready for a throwdown for her man Marcelo Gomes tonight.  yahoo.gif Bring it on girl!

#323 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

For those who have not picked up the lobby casting sheets at the MET, the most recent casting sheet lists the casting for the Rothbart role in SL:

Jared Matthews:  6/23, 6/25 matinee

Hammoudi - 6/24, 6/25 evening

Whiteside: 6/26, 6/28 evening

Radetsky 6/27

Stearns 6/28 matinee

I guess Gomes has given up the role.  Sad, since he was so terrific in the role.

#324 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

For those who have not picked up the lobby casting sheets at the MET, the most recent casting sheet lists the casting for the Rothbart role in SL:

Radetsky 6/27

Stearns 6/28 matinee

I guess Gomes has given up the role.  Sad, since he was so terrific in the role.

Thanks for the update, abatt.  I think Whiteside will be fantastic in this.  Gomes is a real loss -- but I'm sure we can all agree he deserves a break!  Glad we don't have to see Vasiliev wear the costume again -- which didn't suit him at all.  Has Stearns danced this role in the past?  I'm curious to see if he is mended enough to dance all of his currently scheduled performances, beginning next week.

#325 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

Radetsky 6/27

Stearns 6/28 matinee

Thanks for the update, abatt.  I think Whiteside will be fantastic in this.  Gomes is a real loss -- but I'm sure we can all agree he deserves a break!  Glad we don't have to see Vasiliev wear the costume again -- which didn't suit him at all.  Has Stearns danced this role in the past?  I'm curious to see if he is mended enough to dance all of his currently scheduled performances, beginning next week.

Agree about Gomes! Even without von Rothbart, I think he has the biggest amount of performances among the men (as has been the case for a number of years).

And, yes, Stearns has done the role before.

#326 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

wonder who is next in line for von rothbarth? With Matthews and Radetsky leaving and Whiteside, Sterns, and Hammoudi (hopefully) all performing Siegfried next year, we really need another 2-3 guys who can do the role!

#327 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

wonder who is next in line for von rothbarth? With Matthews and Radetsky leaving and Whiteside, Sterns, and Hammoudi (hopefully) all performing Siegfried next year, we really need another 2-3 guys who can do the role!

I'd like to see Patrick Ogle or Thomas Forster given a shot at this role.  Possibly Calvin Royal also.

#328 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I'd like to see Patrick Ogle or Thomas Forster given a shot at this role.  Possibly Calvin Royal also.

maybe they can have roman zhurbin do double-time as the swamp king AND the purple people eater!

#329 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

maybe they can have roman zhurbin do double-time as the swamp king AND the purple people eater!

That's actually not a bad idea!  Roman, while delicious as the evil one, is also not bad in the looks department and would make a dashing Purple Rothbart.  He's an amazing actor and would bring lots of cunning and deception to the role.  And I'm pretty sure he could dance it.   We see him so often in character roles that we forget what a really fine dancer he is.  Watch him in anything when he's not a" meanie "or a clown, and you'll see what I mean.  ( I had always wished that Isaac Stappas could have done the Purple One when he was still in the company, but alas that never happened.  Another fine theatrical actor/dancer ! And no-one was more handsome, IMO.)  The only problem with this concept is in the first prelude scene when Rothbart becomes the Swamp guy in very quick fashion.  Maybe a double could be used in this situation.  But really, the concept makes very good sense.  And what an opportunity that could be for any dancer in the company.  To dance a dual role like that would be splendid!

#330 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

That is a very good idea!  I'd love to see Zhurbin do both.  I think Calvin Royal is a good choice too.  So would be Gorak.  And, I love calling this role "the purple people eater"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):