#256 Dale

Dale

Sapphire Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

More injury (guest star) news:

DENIS MATVIENKO TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE DUE TO INJURY

Guest Artists Alban Lendorf and

Exchange Artist Kevin Jackson to Perform

Due to injury, Denis Matvienko, a guest artist with American Ballet Theatre, will withdraw from scheduled performances with the Company this Spring, it was announced today by Kevin McKenzie, Artistic Director. 

A principal dancer with the Mariinsky Ballet, Matvienko made his debut with American Ballet Theatre in 2012 dancing Solor in La Bayadère.  His repertoire with ABT also includes Conrad in Le Corsaire and Basilio in Don Quixote.

Guest artist Alban Lendorf, a principal dancer with the Royal Danish Ballet, will replace Matvienko as Basilio in Don Quixote on Wednesday evening, May 14.  Kevin Jackson, a principal dancer with Australian Ballet, will make his debut with ABT as an exchange artist, replacing Matvienko as Des Grieux in Manon at the matinee on Wednesday, June 4 and Friday evening, June 6ABT Soloist Jared Matthews replaces Matvienko as Albrecht in Giselle on Thursday evening, June 19.

#257 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Jared is finally getting his due at ABT.  Good for him!  Never heard of Kevin Jackson.  Loved Lendorf last season. Too bad about Matvienko.  Now Kevin has to figure out who will replace Stearns.

So who is replacing Matvienko for his one Bayadere?  Vasliev  please.

#258 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

I hope the folks at ABT are reading this and will act accordingly.

With Stearns out, there is now a shortage of tall men for the season.  Since Hallberg is unavailable, this leaves only Gomes and Whitside for all the tall girl assignments. For whatever reason, they don't cast Bolle much.   Maybe they are planning to throw the not-yet-ready Hammoudi into the fire and see what happens.

ABT has lots of talented tall men in the corps( T Forster, G Davis, D Mantei ) who have not been given any big breaks.It's time they are given chances to shine or this will always be a problem in the future.

#259 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

aww I wish we got gomes to reprise his basillo, which the DC audience was so lucky to see last night! wahhh

#260 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

aww I wish we got gomes to reprise his basillo, which the DC audience was so lucky to see last night! wahhh

Indeed! You can get a brief glimpse of them in Don Q in this clip about their guest appearance a few years ago with Festival Ballet in southern California. He mentions in an interview that he doesn't do this role very much at ABT:

At the Alonso birthday celebration in 2010, he did the first act, but I can't remember who his partner was for that. (They had different principals for each act.)

#261 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Sooooo happy Matthews is getting a Met Giselle (unfortunately due to Matvienko's injury). It's about time!

#262 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

AHHHHHH!!! I'm so excited for Jared...FINALLY!!!

(His Albrecht was the one I would have loved to see when they were here in Minneapolis...but I had another commitment...but I heard it was splendid.) I can't wait to hear about his MET performance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):